Choose spouses for the Starks

Waylin Stark

Would be decent opportunities, however ned has the flaw of locing his daughters, how stressing...

Or maybe ask Robert to make Ramsey a Bolton and marry him to arya?

Even being pragmatic, I dont think that anyone would marry their kid to Ramsay. Hell, Its not like being related would stay Ramsay's hand.
If I were Ned, I would have made sure Theon was never going to have his rights- unlikley in the fist place- and settle him as a small lord near WF, theon and Robb were friends and without his family he would never have turned his cloak.

really? Id do the opposite. Theon is the only Greyjoy not likely to attack Neds people.

I am pretty sure Ned planned to arrange for a marriage to a Southern House for Arya.

This a pretty good indication:

"And it is past time that Arya learned the ways of a southron court. In a few years she will be of an age to marry too.”

Later on he tells Arya how her children would be knights or even perhaps become the High Septon, which again indicates marrying a Southerner.

good catch.

With the way things have played out if Jon is legitimized I don't see him going for a typical Westeros noble. If given the choice he'd go North, Meera Reed or someone rough around the edges. Maybe Wylla Manderly if he wanted to go the traditional route. In reality though I see him and Val ending up together. I don't see him going from a pseudo-spear wife like Ygritte to some normal traditional woman who won't challenge him.

(Sorry, I shortened the quote because I was interested in Robb and Jon)

Asha is an interesting proposal, because I'm not sure about Ned's feelings towards Iron Islands. I mean, Theon was his ward but I think Theon himself pondered at some stage that a marriage into Stark family was off-limits for him. I find Asha&Robb match very interesting choice for maybe securing the bonds to Iron Islands, but wouldn't still be that sure that Ned would marry his first born to Greyjoys. (of course, you said 'very debatably)

I think it would depend on a number of other factors, principally, that Theon's succession to Balon could be assured. Realistically, assuming the WotFK doesn't happen, the most likely outcome is probably war. If Balon dies and Theon's still at Winterfell, Aeron might try to interfere to block Theon's succession, in which case the Starks could support Theon's claim - and probably enforce it. Theon would then be in a position to marry Asha to Robb, which conveniently also removes a political rival from Pyke. Whether he could actually pull this off is a different question: it probably falls to whether Asha would support Theon's claim or Victarion's/Euron's (there are hints, but it's impossible to tell). That said, although she opposed Euron she obeyed him once he was king, and married who she was told to, so Theon might have a chance of accomplishing it.

An alliance with the Iron Islands would make sense from a Stark perspective, since it removes a potential and dangerous threat to their coast while simultaneously giving them a naval presence on the west of the continent and a stick to threaten the Lannisters with. On the other hand, such an alliance is only worth anything so long as it's reliable. A strong Lord Theon would make a worthwhile ally and marriage to Asha would help to reinforce it; a weak Theon, or any other Greyjoy lord, isn't going to work.

And I'm interested in Jon's bastard status. Even though Winterfell has all that prestige and status, would other houses (even the lower ones) consider a match with a bastard? (so what you, Adelstein, said about Jon is very much what I'm thinking.)

It's a difficult one, and it probably varies from bastard to bastard. In reality, some lordly/royal bastards were very highly favoured, and would have been powerful political gamepieces, whether as marital prizes for followers or allies, or as reliable followers to stick in important positions. The bastard of a king is still better than almost anyone else. In Westeros, the stigma attached to bastardy usually seems to outweigh the privilege of being a lord's bastard. Even so, it's not universal. Edric Storm, for instance, is treated almost as a prince of the realm, albeit a lowly one. The Bastard of Nightsong has done ok for himself. Daemon Blackfyre and Brynden Rivers were both bastards who "came good". The way Jon is treated, and considers himself, suggests that in his case the stigma has won. Perhaps, should Robb eventually succeed to Winterfell, he might be able to "promote" Jon in a way that made him more of a catch, and if he were set up with his own title that would help. As things stand at the start of AGoT, though, I don't think he would be seen as such a valuable asset.

Even being pragmatic, I dont think that anyone would marry their kid to Ramsay. Hell, Its not like being related would stay Ramsay's hand.

really? Id do the opposite. Theon is the only Greyjoy not likely to attack Neds people.

That about ramsey was just me LOL'ing, but it would stay the hand of his son! Although off cours the Roose- Sansa/Arya marriage is preferred.

@ your theon point: already admitted it wasn't my smartest thing to say, I stand corrected, but the idea stays appealing.

Suppose you're Eddard or Catelyn, you're alive and well (there's no war, Westeros is at peace), and you want to secure alliances by marrying off your children to the right people.

Who would you choose for each person?

Candidates are:

Joffrey Baratheon,

Myrcella Baratheon,

Tommen Baratheon,

Margaery Tyrell,

Willas Tyrell,

Arianne Martell,

Quentyn Martell,

Trystane Martell,

Theon Greyjoy,

Asha Greyjoy,

Robert Arryn,

Shireen Baratheon,

Edric Dayne.

Of course there are others I can't think of.

Keep in mind you have no idea of the Baratheon kids being Lannister bastards.

I'd choose:

Robb + Margaery

Sansa + Willas

Arya + Edric

Bran + Mrycella

Rickon + Shireen

Robb + Margaery

Sansa and Trystane (once she is grown)

Bran and Myrcella

Arya, Rickon and Jon can determine their own marriages

I'd also ask the King to legitimize Robb

That about ramsey was just me LOL'ing, but it would stay the hand of his son! Although off cours the Roose- Sansa/Arya marriage is preferred.

I think thatd be a lot to put your kid through, just on the off chance that Ramsays successor is less of a dick. why not just wait until Ramsay dies to make a marriage alliance?

I think thatd be a lot to put your kid through, just on the off chance that Ramsays successor is less of a dick. why not just wait until Ramsay dies to make a marriage alliance?

Yup, why not make sure he gets Sansa pregnant, and then arrange a hunting accident?

No, i see why it wouldn't work, don't worry, but the ironie of Sansa, who is dreaming of gallant knights and calls the 22-year old berric dondarrion old, married to a Manderly, Roose, or even Ramsay, is just well, ironic!

I can see Arya marrying Edric.

Whether Cat likes it, or not, the Starks likely owe the Daynes given Brandon Starks probable behavior with Ashara.

Edit: Jon and Elia Sand, (see new sample chapter of Winds of Winter)

Shes just like mom, but without the creepiness.

No, i see why it wouldn't work, don't worry, but the ironie of Sansa, who is dreaming of gallant knights and calls the 22-year old berric dondarrion old, married to a Manderly, Roose, or even Ramsay, is just well, ironic!

Why would Ned go out of his way to crush his daughter's dreams? Is he also going to force Arya to be septa?

Yup, why not make sure he gets Sansa pregnant, and then arrange a hunting accident?

Well... it also just says she's a silly 12 year old girl xD

Besides the fact that Eddard would have waited till she was a grown woman to marry her... I do think it likely she would have chosen a responsible man that would have been able to protect and provide for her, rather than a handsome green boy. That isn't to say he'd be marrying her to a man close to his own age though. xD

When I was 12 I was in love with a boy who died his hair orange with Cool Aid somehow, and liked to do Steve Urkle impressions... my mom should have let me marry him totally xP

I can see Arya marrying Edric.

Which Edric... the Edric Bastard or the Edric Dayne? Based on their single conversation in the entire book I find it likely that she wouldn't like the idea of Edric... of course their one conversation was about her father banging women besides her Mom... but still.

you know, you would make a really crazy lord. marrying your kid to an old man or a brute just for your own amusement.

Well... it also just says she's a silly 12 year old girl xD

Besides the fact that Eddard would have waited till she was a grown woman to marry her... I do think it likely she would have chosen a responsible man that would have been able to protect and provide for her, rather than a handsome green boy. That isn't to say he'd be marrying her to a man close to his own age though. xD

When I was 12 I was in love with a boy who died his hair orange with Cool Aid somehow, and liked to do Steve Urkle impressions... my mom should have let me marry him totally xP

Which Edric... the Edric Bastard or the Edric Dayne? Based on their single conversation in the entire book I find it likely that she wouldn't like the idea of Edric... of course their one conversation was about her father banging women besides her Mom... but still.

Certainily a clumsy conversation between and Arya and Ned, but I think they mean if things had remained the normal course of business in the Kingdom, so they would likely have never had that conversation.

However that said, in the end Arya and young Ned did share a sunset. :blushing:

And if it's about appeasing the Daynes over Brandon Starks behavior, there really are no young Dayne females for a younger Stark male, so it would be more fitting for Arya and Edric, since Sansa would likely go to a higher house as she is older.

And if it's about appeasing the Daynes over Brandon Starks behavior, there really are no young Dayne females for a younger Stark male, so it would be more fitting for Arya and Edric, since Sansa would likely go to a higher house as she is older.

Appeasement for what? We don't even know if Brandon ever touched Ashara, nor are the Daynes that influential that Ned needs to appease them.

Appeasement for what? We don't even know if Brandon ever touched Ashara, nor are the Daynes that influential that Ned needs to appease them.

Okay, thats correct, because the common gossip is is that NED touched her.

Either way, some Stark is part of the "dishonor" narrative of the Daynes.

In those days, marriages were done for alliance OR appeasement, not choice.

Okay, that correct, because the common gossip is is that NED touched her.

Either way, some Stark is part of the "dishonor" narrative of the Daynes.

In those days, marriages were done for alliance OR appeasement, not choice.

But Ned didn't, nor is going to risk upsetting his wife in order to appease some gossip.

I am pretty sure Ned planned to arrange for a marriage to a Southern House for Arya.

This a pretty good indication:

"And it is past time that Arya learned the ways of a southron court. In a few years she will be of an age to marry too.”

Later on he tells Arya how her children would be knights or even perhaps become the High Septon, which again indicates marrying a Southerner.

I think she was going to be polished in the South but they still could have sent her back North to marry.

The second quote I think has been misinterpreted by fans to either be foreshadowing or conveying Ned's marriage wishes.

Arya says that Bran can't be a knight anymore so what can he do? Ned says he can build castles, be a king's councilor, or be a High Septon. Then Arya asks

"Can I be a king's councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?" "You," Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, "will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon."

This caused confusion among the fandom because there was no king for her to marry. However, another poster said the quote isn't about Ned wanting her to marry a king. What Ned is saying Bran the crippled one still has a future. Arya won't be anything but a wife. Either her sons or her brother are can do those things but she can't.

Archived