The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

You know nothing, Jon Snow was annoying. Catch phrases are all well and good, but saying it every two sentences is going overboard.

But ''wherever whores go'' is the worst, certainly. Tyrion's first Dance chapter is a pain to read. There's not a single sentence he says that doesn't have some variation of it. Yes, GRRM, the phrase stuck. We get it. No need to repeat it a thousand times over.

Much and more.

Where do whores go?

He wasn't wrong.

Words are wind.

All men must die.

The last one is cool as a FM credo, but when random characters scattered throughout the series picked it up, I became annoyed. They can't have Essosi saying beyond the Wall, for god's sake.

Also, put me down as a defender or Danyisms. And the devil take you all. :rolleyes:

I dunno, it's a known phrase in our world too. See the latin; Memento Mori.

I dunno, it's a known phrase in our world too. See the latin; Memento Mori.

Remember death... (Virtue's Last Reward greatly improve my appreciation of the phrase)

On Topic: "This is my husband, and this is my suckling babe."

*grinds teeth*

We understand Asha, it was awesome the first time, but now it really seems like a desperate attempt to convince yourself that you are a capable, indepedent woman. (Which you are.)

fever dream usually written in italics. It maybe doesn't crop up as often as the classics "where do whores go" or "you know nothing Jon Snow" but it's in every book, like a subway ad in an episode of Chuck.

Man-claws, Man-rock, Man-sounds, Man-smell, Man ANYTHING from the wolf's point of view!

The man-sounds and man-smells wafted from the man-cave where they cut their man-meat with man-claws... that really gets to me after a while.

WHAT IS IT?

WHAT DO YOU SMELL?

That's really amazing actually. It seems our education is truly in need of some serious overhauls then. I'm still not entirely convinced that it could be called a myth. Considering the maps drawn and references to the flat/disc earth directly, i cant help but be mildly skeptical. It's also largely dependent on what time period. That said, I guess this is far more grey than I imagined.

It's a legacy of Whig history, really, and once ingrained these things die hard, because they get passed on not just teacher to student but through cultural memory, TV shows, books, etc. It's a problem with a lot of historical teaching, too, though, I think: there was an interesting thread on the subject a couple of weeks ago in one of the other forums.

The increasing frequency of "much and more", "little and less", and their ilk. Maybe like one person was saying it in GoT. It had reached the Wall by aSoS, and we heard it much and more more and more throughout the realm. But by aDwD, it had spread like wildfyre and every single person and magical creature from the Iron Islands to Asshai is beginning and ending every sentence with "much and more" and "little and less". :bang:

HODOR! Please man, pick a new line. Try, "Hey kid, get off my back!"

Or "Hey kid, get the fuck out of my head!".

But yeah let me just add to the Dany-hating chorus - especially the "little girl" one. Horrible.

Also Jaime's constant "she's been fucking..." refrain. I get it's going through his mind all the time, and that's it's meant to show us how much of his thoughts are/were occupied by Cersei, but enough already!

There are a few other phrases that ruins my suspension of disbelief, and whenever that happens I get annoyed.

When someone is referring to something as being their's, they say "mine own". Just doesn't sound right IMO.

I think that's more so older English, I remember seeing it in Hamlet in school.

For me it is when someone who only watches the snow says 'Winter is coming', like it automatically means they know a lot about the series. But that's just because I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the books :P

Archived