The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

I am paraphrasing here, but anyway:

Daenerys:

1.) I am the blood of the dragon

2.) The 7 Kingdoms are mine!

3.) I am Queen and I command you, " " (Fill in the blank with anything)

4.) I will take what is mine with Fire and Blood.

5.) (About Ned Stark) He died a traitor's death

6.) (Anything spoken about the truth of her crazy family) "I don't want to hear it Ser Barristan"

I'm just a little girl that knows nothing

OMG, I cant tell you how much I hate that one. The joke is that Dany is being sarcastic and playing that role of a girl who knows nothing or war or anything, but in reality she is just a little girl that knows nothing about war or anything of use.

Interesting. I understand that the earth was figured round by the ancient Greeks but this was the same for everyone else?

I don't disagree that the phrases are annoying, but my inner pedant demands that I point out that the world was never (or at least, not since ancient Greece) thought to be flat. That people thought the earth was flat was made up by modern pop historians to make themselves look clever by comparison with the scholars of the Middle Ages.

Interesting. I understand that the earth was figured round by the ancient Greeks but this was the same for everyone else?

Edit - where are you getting this from? Just curious because I can find no evidence for it. Meanwhile I can find loads of evidence including historical documents, religious text (including to the bible), maps and other such evidence that is contrary to what you are saying. Again, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just curious as to who first challenged this and how they came to that conclusion.

If you are talking about the period of 1492 then yes I agree. But that was the renaissance. A revival of the greek tradition.

LOL. I love how this whole thing has pretty much turned into Dany quotes. It's true- She's stuck with some very annoying arrogant phrases. Personally, I go with "I am the Blood of the Dragon. Do not presume to lecture me!" I'm not sure if it's repeated more than once, but that one time is worth 1000 for how annoying it is. Also CAPSLOCK FIRE AND BLOOD!!! gets annoying.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "where do whores go?" and "nuncle".

Edit - where are you getting this from? Just curious because I can find no evidence for it. Meanwhile I can find loads of evidence including historical documents, religious text (including to the bible), maps and other such evidence that is contrary to what you are saying. Again, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just curious as to who first challenged this and how they came to that conclusion.

If you are talking about the period of 1492 then yes I agree. But that was the renaissance. A revival of the greek tradition.

I learned about this when I was a kid by watching a great show about history called Connections. From the show, the ancient Egyptians figured out the earth was round and a rough estimate of its diameter. They did this by two Egyptian scholars measuring the shadows of two Cleopatra's needles (both of which were the same height) at the same exact time, and then extrapolating from the data. One needle was in Crocodilopolis and the other at the mouth of the Nile or something. I forgot some of the details. Anyhoo, they recorded their experiment in a book, one of the many books eventually copied and entered into the library at Alexandria, that great Greek repository of knowledge. After the burning of the library, the extant copies of a great many books (including the most important of works - Ptolemy's treatise on the stars) from this time were copied by hand at any number of monasteries around Europe, all the way through the dark ages.

Scholars have apparently known about this since ancient Egypt was in its prime.

When I get the time I'll go back and find the Connections episode that has this info.

In some places (China) it took a while to penetrate the scholarly consciousness, but in the West (and those cultures which had contact with Greece), it caught on pretty quickly once the Greeks worked it out. That this knowledge was forgotten, well, that's part of the same cultural tradition that created the Dark Ages, knights who had to be winched into the saddle, etc. Here isn't the place to deconstruct those concepts, but suffice to say that the idea that classical knowledge was lost for a thousand years after the fall of Rome is a massive oversimplification, and even the idea of the Renaissance itself is questionable as a discrete period: many of the "ancient texts" discovered in the 15th-16th century in fact originated in the Carolingian period.

There's a Wikipedia article on the specific subject of the flat earth - inevitably - which can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

In some places (China) it took a while to penetrate the scholarly consciousness, but in the West (and those cultures which had contact with Greece), it caught on pretty quickly once the Greeks worked it out. That this knowledge was forgotten, well, that's part of the same cultural tradition that created the Dark Ages, knights who had to be winched into the saddle, etc. Here isn't the place to deconstruct those concepts, but suffice to say that the idea that classical knowledge was lost for a thousand years after the fall of Rome is a massive oversimplification, and even the idea of the Renaissance itself is questionable as a discrete period: many of the "ancient texts" discovered in the 15th-16th century in fact originated in the Carolingian period.

There's a Wikipedia article on the specific subject of the flat earth - inevitably - which can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

That's really amazing actually. It seems our education is truly in need of some serious overhauls then. I'm still not entirely convinced that it could be called a myth. Considering the maps drawn and references to the flat/disc earth directly, i cant help but be mildly skeptical. It's also largely dependent on what time period. That said, I guess this is far more grey than I imagined.

I learned about this when I was a kid by watching a great show about history called Connections. From the show, the ancient Egyptians figured out the earth was round and a rough estimate of its diameter. They did this by two Egyptian scholars measuring the shadows of two Cleopatra's needles (both of which were the same height) at the same exact time, and then extrapolating from the data. One needle was in Crocodilopolis and the other at the mouth of the Nile or something. I forgot some of the details. Anyhoo, they recorded their experiment in a book, one of the many books eventually copied and entered into the library at Alexandria, that great Greek repository of knowledge. After the burning of the library, the extant copies of a great many books (including the most important of works - Ptolemy's treatise on the stars) from this time were copied by hand at any number of monasteries around Europe, all the way through the dark ages.

Scholars have apparently known about this since ancient Egypt was in its prime.

When I get the time I'll go back and find the Connections episode that has this info.

I'm pretty sure that was Eratosthenes who first measured the circumference of the earth. It was in Egypt (Alexandria) but it wasn't ancient Egypt and he wasn't Egyptian. It was my understanding that much of this knowledge was forgotten or discarded during the dark ages largely because of ignorance and its disharmony with religious text, but it appears that was an oversimplification of events.

I am paraphrasing here, but anyway:

Daenerys:

1.) I am the blood of the dragon

2.) The 7 Kingdoms are mine!

3.) I am Queen and I command you, " " (Fill in the blank with anything)

4.) I will take what is mine with Fire and Blood.

5.) (About Ned Stark) He died a traitor's death

6.) (Anything spoken about the truth of her crazy family) "I don't want to hear it Ser Barristan"

THIS. God, Dany, grow the hell up.

Also Tyrion's most recent lovely phrases, "where do whores go?"

ARYA CHEWING ON HER LIP, UGHH.

Anything Catelyn says.

"For the night is dark and full of terrors" also pisses me off only because it has gotten repetitive.

over-used: "you know nothing, Jon Snow". Wouldn't be so bad if it were used.... 40 fewer times.

old, tired: nipples on a breastplate. Mainly because this meme pre-existed asoiaf.. used once might be a nod and a wink... used soooooo often tho... hate it.

I actually like "where do whores go?" and "wherever whores go" mainly bc of the ache I associate Tyrion having with it.

Nothing from Dany but:

- must needs

- excessive use of the word wench, even when no dismissiveness (is that even a word?) was needed.

- soldier pines - any other sort of pines in Westeros, George?

- nuncle is fine in a Iron Island context, a bit weird otherwise.

- the seed is strong. Doesn't really make sense to me as you don't specify whose seed. Surely not all seeds are strong?

- it was all he/she could do to..... dunno why but I' don't like this turn of phrase for some irrational reason.

Much and more.

Where do whores go?

He wasn't wrong.

Words are wind.

All men must die.

The last one is cool as a FM credo, but when random characters scattered throughout the series picked it up, I became annoyed. They can't have Essosi saying beyond the Wall, for god's sake.

Also, put me down as a defender or Danyisms. And the devil take you all. :rolleyes:

Archived