The Most Annoying Phrase

Jaime FTW

Wherever whores go

This one, for me.

Not just because of the repetition, and not just because it makes no sense that whores would go to a particular place.

Mainly because Tyrion knows, for sure, that Tysha was never a whore! He ought to be asking where crofters' daughters go.

But for me the most annoying phrase is "you know nothing, Jon Snow."

This one is repeated too often, but I like it quite a bit because it means something extraordinary that most readers haven't realized (as well as the whole R+L=J camp). Specifically, that Ygritte was pretty damned sure, right from the start, that Jon's parents were not who he thought they were. Compared to her, on that subject, he really did know nothing.

This one, for me.

Not just because of the repetition, and not just because it makes no sense that whores would go to a particular place.

Mainly because Tyrion knows, for sure, that Tysha was never a whore! He ought to be asking where crofters' daughters go.

well its not like whores are the only ones who can gain access.....right?

As for You Know Nothing Jon Snow...

That really annoyed me in the first read... but after I knew Ygritte was going to die... on my reread I didn't hate her and I actually wanted to listen to what she had to say... instead of thinking of how she was making a 15 year old boy with daddy issues have sex with her.

"IT'S A TRAP!"

Whoops, wrong series and category.

"For I am only a young girl and know little of the ways of war."

"If I look back I am lost."

Dany is great at making up annoying phrases. She even uses the most annoying of all:

"I am the blood of the dragon."

:bang:

I got to agree with all three of Dany's mentioned, but oh God, that one! I just finished rereading AGOT and every time I saw that one especially, I tried not to groan.

Only the iron islands garbage actually annoys me

What is dead may never die but rises stronger and harder and longer and faster and better!! ughhh

"as useless as nipples on a breastplate" just makes me giggle every time.

"I am but a young girl and know little of the ways of war..."

It's entirely true, yet she-who-must-not-be-named says it mockingly, as if she is experienced.

THIS this this a thousand times.

Also:

"Where do whores go?"

"must needs", like "You must needs take her maidenhead" is the example I could find, Tywin to Tyrion in ASoS. But they use it all the time and oh my god. Drives me nuts.

The stuff that I've seen bothers other people, yet doesn't bother me, would be: "Reek, Reek, it rhymes with ___" and "You know nothing, Jon Snow." I liked both of those.

"Rightful king" and its mutations ("mine by rights", "my right", etc.). It's basically a profanity now, and I'm using it as such.

I can see how this is annoying, but when Stannis says it I like it actually :P

This one is repeated too often, but I like it quite a bit because it means something extraordinary that most readers haven't realized (as well as the whole R+L=J camp). Specifically, that Ygritte was pretty damned sure, right from the start, that Jon's parents were not who he thought they were. Compared to her, on that subject, he really did know nothing.

I hadn't noticed it and because of what you said I'll start a little reread on her.

patchface's rhymes oh oh oh

i want to drop kick him.

and most of dany's repetitive phrases.

edit: and theon's reek mode, it rhymes with toad.

Actually you reminded me Dany's stupid repetition of her prophecies drives me up a wall.

My feelings for "you know nothing, Jon snow" is kind of like "the cake is a lie" in the portal fandom. It used to be something I liked when I first read it, and felt represented a certain flavor of the series. But it has just been mindlessly repeated so many times it has been ruined.

"It is known" it always follows the most inane claptrap.

Absolutely and the TV series made it even worse in its presentation. I roll my eyes whenever I hear or read it. When I encounter it, I can swear I hear a faint voice in my head calling "nerd!". Love the series and respect GRRM's abilities, but why must every fantasy contain its own monument to corniness?

Dany's repetitious phrases annoy me a little too. I don't know how anyone around her puts up with "I am just a little girl..." since no one believes it.

Archived