GRRM Reveals Iron Throne Spoiler During Emmy Panel

J. Stargaryen

"There will be several more people taking the throne before the end."- Author George R.R. Martin gives the audience a

#GoT reveal.

Begin speculating. :)

In case you didn't see it, it's worth a look. Lots of laughs, mostly provided by Peter Dinklage. Definitely a good watch.

ETA: here is a link to the panel from WiC: http://t.co/lbu85khBET

Here is the link direct from Emmys.com: http://www.emmys.com/game-of-thrones

ETA2: NickTargaryen has

in case any of you were having problems with the buffering on Ustream. Thanks, Nick!

Assuming this is in relation to the show, so Tommen counts as one. I would guess Mycella might briefly be crowned, Aegon and Dany will both probably plop their asses there for a short time, neither for long. I think it will be gone by the end of the series.

The other thing that stood out to me about this quote was that both Benioff and Weiss said they knew who ended up on the throne at the end of the series, this would seem to imply that the Iron Throne still exists at the end of it all. Or I might be grasping at straws

If you are, then I'm grasping at the same ones. I had the same thoughts, and was going to post this just now.

Myrcella, Stannis, and Dany seem to be contenders. Maybe this was from a show perspective and Tommen is one of the "several" as well.

I think this is probably true. No big surprise, but this is bad news for any Baratheon-Lannisters out there.

Mrycella will probably be one. Tommen is likely to die and either Cersei or the Tyrells will crown Mrycella.

After that it is anyone's guess. Ageon is probably planning on marching on King's Landing after he takes Storm's End and takes full control of what's left of the Stormlands. If Dany ever arrives in Westros King's Landing will be her prime target. Stannis will have to take King's Landing if he ever wants to be king. And Euron is also vying for the throne (through I doubt he'll ever sit it). Who'll attack the city and sits on the throne will depend on how future events play out.

The other thing that stood out to me about this quote was that both Benioff and Weiss said they knew who ended up on the throne at the end of the series, this would seem to imply that the Iron Throne still exists at the end of it all. Or I might be grasping at straws

Unless that they know no one will end up sitting on the the throne in the end.

If you are, then I'm grasping at the same ones. I had the same thoughts, and was going to post this just now.

You know what else this seems to indicate, is that Westeros will have one king; i.e., one king for one kingdom.

Sounds like there's going to be a bit of a free for all over the next two books...well, more so. There are likely going to be some very brief "reigns" in there, Lady Jane Grey-style. (Myrcella might be one, poor kid.)

I'm quite surprised by this, as I'd figured (including Tommen here, since GRRM said this in the context of a TV show panel) Tommen, followed by Aegon (and his queen, whoever she is), followed by either Jon or Dany (whichever lives longest) as the "final" occupant of the Iron Throne, who might choose to dissolve Westeros into seven kingdoms or whatever, but the "final victor." (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Tommen-->Aegon-->Jon or Dany is pretty trite, but it seems to me the most likely outcome.

Now, though, I don't know what to think. Myrcella? Stannis? Shireen? Euron?

Archived