Advance Screening - Season 3 Episode 1

sansasong

I had the wonderful opportunity of attending an advance screening of episode 1 of season 3.

No spoilers here but it was really good to get back into the story and see how it progresses.

Basically it was setting up the storyline for this season and what they will be concentrating on.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to be spoiled too much (even though I've read the books) but if you could rate it out of 10, what would you say?

Aside from that, what was the pacing like? Did changes from the books bother you? Any idea what non-book readers thought of it?

I know you aren't refering to me, but at WiC there's a short summary of what will happen, without much spoilers. If you want I can past the link to you?

Aside from that, what was the pacing like? Did changes from the books bother you? Any idea what non-book readers thought of it?

The pacing was decent. They basically had one or two scenes with a lot of the characters (John to Tyrion to Sansa to Dany to Stannis, etc.) so you rotated around the kingdoms and it went quickly. Just updating on where everyone was and getting their Season 3 storyline off to a start.

As for the changes, while I've read the books a number of times I don't know them backwards and forwards. Overall it seemed true to the story or at least the spirit of what happens. Some things were pretty direct from the story to my memory. Others seemed a bit different but didn't really bother me.

My friend with me hasn't read the books and seemed to enjoy it.

@kevin1989: I've been reading WiC, so probably saw it already, but sure, show me the link if you like.

I actually just read on imdb what happens in the 'disappointing' first scene of the new season. Basically, it's a change from the book - but I think I'm ok with it. My main worry is with the major scenes, and none of them really happen in episode 1 I guess.

The pacing was decent. They basically had one or two scenes with a lot of the characters (John to Tyrion to Sansa to Dany to Stannis, etc.) so you rotated around the kingdoms and it went quickly. Just updating on where everyone was and getting their Season 3 storyline off to a start.

As for the changes, while I've read the books a number of times I don't know them backwards and forwards. Overall it seemed true to the story or at least the spirit of what happens. Some things were pretty direct from the story to my memory. Others seemed a bit different but didn't really bother me.

My friend with me hasn't read the books and seemed to enjoy it.

Nice, thanks for that. Looking forward to it!

Although God, waiting between episodes is going to be painful...I really need to stop researching every little bit of information.

I`ve seen rushes from several episodes, I can`t divulge from whom, just assume I have a close relative on the cast. I think this season will blow the previous 2 away.

One of my peeves with 1 and 2 is that you got no sense of scale in the battles, they were either just part of the dialogue and not shown, or were shown as `company`sized battles, ie maybe 150 men on screen at a MAX. Even Spartacus shows thousands of troops formed up on its pidly little show.

This year the producers fix this oversight IMO, with some scenes of HUGE numbers of forces, and not all CGI either, on the field. I`m very optimistic regarding viewer reaction.

@kevin1989: I've been reading WiC, so probably saw it already, but sure, show me the link if you like.

I actually just read on imdb what happens in the 'disappointing' first scene of the new season. Basically, it's a change from the book - but I think I'm ok with it. My main worry is with the major scenes, and none of them really happen in episode 1 I guess.

winteriscoming.net/2013/03/impressions-of-the-game-of-thrones-season-3-premiere/

Thanks for the info. I don't want to be spoiled too much (even though I've read the books) but if you could rate it out of 10, what would you say?

I was really excited to see it and I rate it 8 out of 10, but remember they were just setting up the storyline for this season some people thought it didn't have enough.

There is a change from the book in the episode but I think they had to do it for TV purposes and to move the story forward.

I'm a big fan of the books so yes I get bothered when they change things!

One thing that kind of bugged me is that they went from the last episode to the new season without some explanation on how the characters got there, for example how the last episode ended with the others and in the first episode they just wrap it up really quickly but I guess they have to do that for budget reasons.

I have read the books so it wasn't an huge issue for me.

Did you notice anything different about the opening theme music?

It sounds different in season 2 than it did in season 1, so I'd imagine the same could be said for season 3?

I didn't notice anything obviously different in the opening credit music, but I wasn't trying to; I was trying to see what new locations were there.

From memory, it was King's Landing, Dragonstone, Harranhal, a smoking Winterfell, the Wall and then Astapor (sp?).

I didn't notice anything obviously different in the opening credit music, but I wasn't trying to; I was trying to see what new locations were there.

From memory, it was King's Landing, Dragonstone, Harranhal, a smoking Winterfell, the Wall and then Astapor (sp?).

Thanks for the confirmation about WInterfell! Thats really exciting.

Can you describe what...

Astapor

looked like?

Archived