[Book Spoilers] HBO playing up the 'romance' side?

Dragonstoned

This idea is still sketchy but does anyone feel D&D are over-emphasising love in the series?

We've had Robb marry for love instead of the girl's honour.

And two points of speculation: by making Shae bffs with Sansa they look like having her betray Tyrion out of jealousy once the latter two get married; after ep301 I also thought they might be turning Joff-Marg into a romance, some lingering glances and admiration, her spending time with him with more to come in later episodes as previewed.

In ASoIaF there is obviously a lot of love but, faithful to medieval reality, it often takes a backseat to politics and other issues. Wouldn't be surprising if by loving-up a few relationships they're hoping to appeal more to modern-day tv viewers.

Like I said this idea is not fully-formed, just wondering if anyone else had picked up on it.

In a way, I see what you're saying. People generally love romance and tend to root for it, so it's not implausible that in the show they're making it more romanticised. I don't mind it too much right now, although the Talisa/Robb thing is really quite boring... Mind you, I thought Jeyne/Robb in the books was boring as well.

As for Joffrey/Margaery, I don't think they'll turn it into a romance as I doubt Margaery will actually fall for Joffrey, however I think they're going to make him somewhat fond of her and have her influence him, which is obviously not going to wash well with Cersei. And I would actually quite like this aspect, it's not really a romance but it makes it interesting as it's ever so good seeing Cersei losing grip of what she wants to control ;)

Yes, I agree they are trying to do this with Robb and the Volantene, and I guess they will emphasise Ygritte's role too on the romantic angle.

They left pretty much all of the Sansa/Sandor story, though.

Sansa/Sandor was a deliberate choice because the actress who plays Sansa is like 16/17.

Jon/Ygritte was always a romance though. Yes, Jon was pushed into it, but it was clear he was falling for her even before sleeping with her.

This idea is still sketchy but does anyone feel D&D are over-emphasising love in the series?

We've had Robb marry for love instead of the girl's honour.

And two points of speculation: by making Shae bffs with Sansa they look like having her betray Tyrion out of jealousy once the latter two get married; after ep301 I also thought they might be turning Joff-Marg into a romance, some lingering glances and admiration, her spending time with him with more to come in later episodes as previewed.

In ASoIaF there is obviously a lot of love but, faithful to medieval reality, it often takes a backseat to politics and other issues. Wouldn't be surprising if by loving-up a few relationships they're hoping to appeal more to modern-day tv viewers.

I wasn't fond of that decision for Robb, and why they couldn't just use the original plot is beyond me because she makes him leave his direwolf outside his meeting hall because she's afraid and that's a big deal

Shae and Sansa seems like filler stuff to me

Joffrey and Margaery just ugh

Sansa/Sandor was a deliberate choice because the actress who plays Sansa is like 16/17.

Jon/Ygritte was always a romance though. Yes, Jon was pushed into it, but it was clear he was falling for her even before sleeping with her.

I mostly think it was because the creators did not get Sansa's personality from the books too well, but, well, the possible reasons are infinte.

It was a romance, yes, but I can see it played up in the show. Ygritte had a far bigger role in the last season already.

Yeah I'm not criticising D&D for doing so, it's understandable.

With Joff and Marg any affections so far seem to be more from him to her. Guess if they are pursuing the love theme then they cut down on SanSan cos it doesn't really fit conventional romance.

I think Robb marrying "for Jeyne's honor" was a flimsy excuse. But they did show the romancing on screen, so I see the OP's point.

I don't think Robb's decision to marry her to save her honor was an excuse. Actually I took it as a very defining character moment. It shows how much importance he places in honor, same as his father and foreshadows his death IMO as he makes the same choice of honor before reason. That's why I'm kind of disappointed that they completely changed the storyline. In the show it just seems like he's horny and can't control himself (OK, I'm exaggerating, it wasn't that bad).

I don't think Robb's decision to marry her to save her honor was an excuse. Actually I took it as a very defining character moment. It shows how much importance he places in honor, same as his father and foreshadows his death IMO as he makes the same choice of honor before reason. That's why I'm kind of disappointed that they completely changed the storyline. In the show it just seems like he's horny and can't control himself (OK, I'm exaggerating, it wasn't that bad).

As for the horny part, you might say the same about book Robb. After all, he slept with Jeyne first, out of lust. I think this wasn't such a horrible plot change, there are certainly much worse examples.

Well, no shit OP.

This is a series that 100% removes any AND ALL strategic and militaristic discussion, and even the discussions about how starving everyone is, because "people won't be interested in it" and instead focuses it's energy on being a soap opera.

EDIT: And this is hilarious, because everyone I know(even non-book readers) actually talk about how they wish they could here more military related talk since the story is ABOUT WAR, and NO ONE gives a fuck about the show relationships. One of my friends specifically who's nonbook reading actually isn't going to watch season 3 onwards, because he's sick with all the shitty unconvincing romances in the show.

Every show needs a romance subplot. It's like a rule in Hollywood.

And to be honest, I don't really mind. We know how Jon and Ygritte felt about each other thanks to his POV. His thoughts can't make the transition to the screen, so they have to show us how they feel by expanding on the romance a bit.

I didn't expect there would be anything real between Margaery and Joffrey, but it seems she's kind of developing feelings for him. Or maybe she's just playing with him. We'll find out in the next few episodes.

The Robb and Talisa scenes are unbearably cheesy. I understand why they are doing it, given what will happen, but it is hard to watch.

I think Joffrey likes Margaery, because she reminds him of a nicer version of his mom. That and she is a woman, as opposed to Sansa, who, even though aged up in the TV series, still acts like a 10 year old. Margaery certainly won't love him.

Tyrion falls in love too easily, it is one of his flaws. He is a hopeless romantic at heart.

Jon and Ygritte will of course fall for eachother.

Romance attract female viewers, too, and Hollywood knows it sells.

I don't see much Margaery/Joffrey romance yet, but the show seemed building Marg to be a rival of Cersei in terms of influencing Joff.

Robb/Talisa, I agree was cheesy - for the Robb fangirls, me guess, before the show breaks their hearts.

Tyrion/Shae 'coz the show wanted Tyrion to find someone who could love him, too - a tragic story of love and betrayal.

Where's Shae? Where's Shae? Where's Shae?

San/San won't work on TV 'coz the obvious age difference of the actors. The show can't age up Sansa more in the beginning 'coz the flowering thingy would be awkward if they have chosen an older actress. Could have chosen a younger Sandor though. :P

Jon/Ygritte, of course, for the

Lord's kiss.

I mostly think it was because the creators did not get Sansa's personality from the books too well, but, well, the possible reasons are infinte.

i don't think the sansan cut had much to do with the creators not getting sansa's personality. it has more to do with the actor's age but even more to do with viewer reaction to the pair. with westeros.org down so much, i drifted over to the TWoP site. (a junkie's got to get their fix however they can!) most of the posters there referred constantly to the rapey undertone of the relationship. hbo also did focus groups and both men and women said they didn't want to see much more than sandor being a protector. so i think it was a combination of things that made this "pairing" go away.

interesting comments over at that site. almost all of them agreed that sansa seemed to be in constant danger of being raped - much more than any other female character on the show.

but i do think hbo is going to play up the robb/talisa and jon/ygritte relationship as one of the few straight forward true romances in the world of asoiaf. interestingly, both stark men forgot their promises once these women arrived on the scene. more paralleling!

but i do think hbo is going to play up the robb/talisa and jon/ygritte relationship as one of the few straight forward true romances in the world of asoiaf. interestingly, both stark men forgot their promises once these women arrived on the scene. more paralleling!

In the same episode in the last season, and there was also Theon getting seduced by Osha who then escaped in the same episode.

Are they trying to imply something? :fencing:

In the same episode in the last season, and there was also Theon getting seduced by Osha who then escaped in the same episode.

Are they trying to imply something? :fencing:

men lose their heads easily? :leer: yes, it would seem all the men were getting their groove on in that episode but at least theon was breaking any promises. just being dumb.

Archived