HBO Renews Game of Thrones

Westeros

My idea for season 5/6

Obviously, book 4 and 5 do not lend themselves to the show. Too many story lines, too few character arcs and events. For a show, each season needs a driving factor, too keep things exciting, and, importantly, characters have to be going somewhere with their stories. Equally, the world needs to feel connected, with each story crossing over others. AFFC and ADWD do, sadly, not achieve this, so my idea is...

...to split the world in two! Just for the two years, we could have one series setting up the battle of Ice, and the other setting up the battle of Fire, with each running parallel concerning time. Thus, each season would feel like it was going somewhere, and we would actually get a decent amount of time with all the old and new characters. After season 5/6, things could return to normal.

ICE

This would focus on everything taking place North of kings landing, building up to the battle for winterfell (almost all the stories intertwine somehow, so we would get a cohesive story.) Here, we would see how the realm is coping under the weak alliances in the north, and the battle of ice would be the climax. Hopefully the fan favorites Jamie/Brienne/Davos/Theon/Jon/Stannis/Bran/Stoneheart would make up for the loss of other favorites It would follow:

Jon/Stannis

Jamie/Brienne (adventuring to Riverrun together, with alterations to make both stories interact more)

Reek/theon

Davos

Sam

Bran

Sansa

Asha

Stoneheart

Fire

This would focus on the Mereen knot, interdependent states (iron islands/dorne), and Kings Landing (especially how Vary's is setting up the rise of the Targs's). The Targareons would be the main focus, with Young griff and Dany being central, and Dorne/Ironborn/Tyrion attempts to side/meet up with with them allowing plots to intertwine. The fan favorites Dany/Tyrion/Arya/Victorian would all be present, as well as many new additions. It would end with the battle of fire. It would follow:

Dany

Tyrion

Arya

Cersei/Tyrells

Quentyn

Dorne

Iron Islands

Young Griff

As I said before, many would be annoyed by the exclusions of characters per season, but it's better than having two crap seasons in which we get tiny slices of every character, and have to exclude new ones. Each season NEEDS an arc, and structure, so hopefully this would provide it. Any thoughts?

Alas, I know it wont, but hey ho. I am interested in how they will go about it though.

I assume they will do two seasons with Feast and Dance combined. There's a lot of material in it, and I'm sure it will make great television (eventhough the pacing is a lot slower than the previous books/seasons).

So, you want them to make the same mistake George made? Really? (As an aside, I say "mistake" although I know there were very good reasons he did what he did. It still feels like a mistake, though).

Of all the things in the show, one of the things I am most looking forward to is to see what a united timeline AFFC/ADWD might look like. I think it's going to work far better than the separation we got in the books.

Season 4 had to be made in order to give the fans a sense of closure. Books 1-3 are the fist phase of he story. Books 4-5 are Act 2. The first half of book 3 which is the final book for Act 1 is made into season 3 and abruptly ends there? I think not (I thought correct).

Season 5 onward I have my doubts and reservations for the future, but obviously we were safe for one more year.

I'm so selfish LOL! You know why I am overjoyed it was renewed? Because in the back of George's mind, there's a little voice saying," I need to write faster". He might hear it consciously or subconsciously but it IS there whispering those words.

I randomly visited georgerrmartin.com today and noticed the front page has had a serious makeover. I was thinking I was somehow on the wrong site for a moment!

Anyway, there was a little nugget in the sidebar:

HBO has officially renewed GAME OF THRONES for a fourth season. (And I'm almost finished with the first draft of my script. No, sorry, not going to tell you which one it is).

Wonder how long we will have to wait to find out :). Still, if George is almost finished with his first draft, that probably means the other scripts are further along...

Even though I know it isn't very likely, since D&D like to do all the big moments (with the exception of Blackwater), I REALLY want George to write the script for the Oberyn/Gregor fight. I feel only he should allowed to write Oberyn's dialogue, since it's so perfect in the book.

I also really want him to write whatever episode the Kingsmoot is in. I feel that that scene needs to be done very well, and obviously he is the one that can do it properly.

Archived