Reviewing Dark Wings, Dark Words

Westeros

Didn't like Shae getting jealous of Sansa at all. First time I ever cringed at a scene in the series and was out of character. Though perhaps I'm used to book Shae who is a bit less touchy feely....

Everything else was great in any regard. I wish they didn't take out Vargo Hoat, but the producers have a lot to focus on and only ten episodes....

I thought the episode was unimpressive overall but there were great things.

It was nice to see Theon at last and the first scene with the Iwan Rheon's "boy". I thought Locke was also great. I liked his intimidating, no-nonsense and straightforward approach not even giving any chance for Jaime to indulge in much of his usual snark. However it was enough to the Kingslayer to say one of the best lines of the episode: "Flayed man of House Bolton. A bit gruesome for my tastes." Always imagined Jaime saying something like that about the biggest creeps from the North.

The scenes with the Reed were the best ones. Loved them both. Jojen was even more mysterious than he is in the books. The best line was delivered by Meera talking fondly about her brother being worth saving. Love when the writers decide to write an action woman who can be kind and down to earth, just doing her thing the ways she wants/ views as right and all the time being completely nonchalant about it. I was afraid we would get another Ygritte...

anyone else feel that some storylines are moving too fast while others are going too slowly for instance both jaime and dany have had very fast mving story's so far (I did not expect dany to be actually on the verge of buying unsullied by the end of episode 1, Only to have decided to change direction and go for astapor and I didn't think we'd be anywhere close to the swordfight scene in jaime's storyline having only had one scene with him so far) while some stories are moving far too slowly like Cat's they (they haven't even got to riverrun yet!)

I also feel that there making roose bolton far too nice and considerate so far, he doesn't seem like the kind of character too turncloak at the moment. admittedly, in the book's he never seems to be particularly evil before he betray's the robb, just quiet and calculating. But, in the show he just seems like a nice guy trying to help robb out whenever possible.

I'm also starting to wonder about Iwan rheon's character, he actually seem's like he's trying to help theon out rather than just being ramsay in disguise, maybe he isn't ramsay after all. I was also hoping for theon to say something like "seven hell's, you stink" when he came near :drunk:

I agree about the storylines. Hopefully the fact that Catelyn's plot is moving slowly indicates that we will have to see more of her and the Tully in later episodes.

Ramsay is clearly messing with Theon's hopes like he did "off screen" in the books.That's the whole reason they kept Rheon's role so secretive. If he was just a non-canon guy sent by Asha they could just reveal his name like they did with other characters that we don't know where they come from, like that Myranda and that Mirelle that have no books counterparts.

Roose has already set his villainous nature in the very first scene he is introduced in season 2. I'm also disappointed but I give the writers a pass because maybe if they make him too obviously evil the big surprise later will be missed. Thankfully we will get to see his interaction with Jaime and Brienne.

Im sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow but why isn't Loras KG in the show?

Not yet. I think he will be betrothed to Sansa instead of Willas. I think Tywin will force him into the Kingsguard like Aerys did with Jaime.

Another observation on kids and animals in acting.

If Bran is anything to go by in his rate of growth, the next time we see Tommen, he'll look old enough to be married to Natalie Dormer.

I can see why the actor who plays Hodor is wheeling him around in a cart, rather than carrying him.

I can't find the previous post that mentioned this, but I agree that a little too much time is spent on Tyrion. Dinklage is a wonderful actor, but more time should've been devoted to introducing the Reeds. They are so important and their background could have been more fleshed out for the non-readers. Perhaps if their were twenty episodes per season, we could have all the Tyrion scenes in the world! As that is not the case, the writers should share the wealth.

Also, am I the only one who think Roose Bolton is too hot? I always pictured the character to be older and scarier, but Michael McElhatton is definitely an attractive older man. I'm interested to see how he portrays the traitor side of Bolton.

Liked this episode, because it foreshadowed a lot of things....

Liked the intro to Jojen and Meera, although I wanted him to pledge alligence to House Stark like they do in the books. It will be interesting what Jojen tells Bran...they have a really long way to the Wall. So Jojen saw the Rebellion huh? And what went down at the Tower of Joy perhaps? I like the idea of having a character that can actually introduce some backstory.

Actually liked Tyrion and Shae scene because it sets up that Shae will be extremely jealous of Sansa later in the season...but I agree this scene could have happened in a later episode.

Loved Marge and Joffery. The portrayal of her character is perfect. Too bad Joffery didn't realize she was already "hunting".

Although I didn't like Cat's confession to Talisa, like it or not, Cat just foreshadowed another death.

I thought the BWB should have been explained a little bit more, especially at the meal scene. I wanted Thoros to be a little more charasmatic...and although Arya deserved getting the sword taken away from her, I kind of wanted her to hold her own a little with Thoros (wishful thinking).

The cat scene was an excellent piece of TV, if a little sappy, it achieved all its goals.

1-define the Cat Jon relationship for viewers who may have missed its importance.

2-shows cats guilt at her a hand in the family's misfortune, which, was switched out in season one where book cat tells Ned he should go to KL as opposed to show Cat being unhappy with it.

3-gives some much needed relationship building between Talisa and Catalyn.

4-reminds idiots Jon was the black sheep, was not her son, and she could t make him a stark.

As an avid book reader...and re reader, you total purists need to look at the medium of TV and just fucking relax a little.

As an avid book reader...and re reader, you total purists need to look at the medium of TV and just fucking relax a little.

I wish I could "relax a little"... Unfortunately, I get very anxious and uncomfortable watching poor quality television. The scene between Cat and Talisa was sexist, insulting to Cat's character, and just bad writing.

I liked the episode. I was really suprised at the scene when Cat talks about Jon. I thought as a whole it was a really good show, I know this by the fact that when I realized it was almost over I was mad! They are doing a real good job foreshadowing the discord with Karstark and Bolton, you can definately feel the tension.

I agree and second this.

I wish I could "relax a little"... Unfortunately, I get very anxious and uncomfortable watching poor quality television. The scene between Cat and Talisa was sexist, insulting to Cat's character, and just bad writing.

If you believe that D. & D. have indeed 'butchered' some of your favourite characters to this degree (which is a valid opinion to have, even if I do not share it), then I wonder why you're still watching the show at this point. You've made it quite clear that you're not a fan of the showrunners' decisions and their writing. If they really ruined all of it and it's making you uncomfortable, why not just ignore the damn thing?

And if they haven't, and it is only certain aspects of the show you dislike, why not try to brush those off and enjoy what's there to be enjoyed? I don't think the production has gotten everything right either and there's no denying that I find the books superior. But that doesn't stop me from having fun watching it or appreciating the massive effort that has gone into an adaptation of a series that is all but unfilmable, rather than keep drilling those things I dislike about it into the ground.

If you believe that D. & D. have indeed 'butchered' some of your favourite characters to this degree (which is a valid opinion to have, even if I do not share it), then I wonder why you're still watching the show at this point. You've made it quite clear that you're not a fan of the showrunners' decisions and their writing. If they really ruined all of it and it's making you uncomfortable, why not just ignore the damn thing?

And if they haven't, and it is only certain aspects of the show you dislike, why not try to brush those off and enjoy what's there to be enjoyed? I don't think the production has gotten everything right either and there's no denying that I find the books superior. But that doesn't stop me from having fun watching it or appreciating the massive effort that has gone into an adaptation of a series that is all but unfilmable, rather than keep drilling those things I dislike about it into the ground.

So I'm not allowed to voice constructive criticism of the show? That's what you're saying?

If I like a show, I'll watch it. And if I'm unhappy with aspects of that show, I'll voice my concerns.

George has issues with some readers creating a Cat who isn't in the novels. He has no issues with how he wrote Catelyn, and Vanessa Taylor's scene is not, I assure you, something he mandated or asked for.

Ran, just wondering, I know GRRM is an executive producer and advisor on the show. But how much power does he have? Does he have any form of vetoing power at all, in case the showrunners do something that might affect events in the last 2 books?

So I'm not allowed to voice constructive criticism of the show? That's what you're saying?

If I like a show, I'll watch it. And if I'm unhappy with aspects of that show, I'll voice my concerns.

No. You are not allowed to voice constructive criticism at all. Sure, that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

I think we have different definitions of constructive criticism: I think it's fine to find fault with something and raise your concerns, but too often on these forums I think fans can become incessantly critical about everything that the writers do 'wrong' in their eyes, sometimes to the point of hurling abuse at the writers, as if they are morally obligated to owe them some perfect product that conforms to all THEIR expectations. I feel there is a massive difference in saying, "I wish that the writers had handled X, Y and Z differently, because of A, B and C", and people getting so up in arms about certain aspects of the adaptation.

Even if I agree that Show Catelyn is not Book Catelyn (and I can understand that can be disappointing), I guess at a certain point I wish we could move on from this discussion: some will accept these changes, others are perfectly free to think D&D suck at writing Catelyn, but let's just leave it and move on, and not keep harping on it. I guess everyone draws the line at different points, but depending on the tone which is used, 'constructive criticism' can devolve into outright bitching.

No. You are not allowed to voice constructive criticism at all. Sure, that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

I think we have different definitions of constructive criticism: I think it's fine to find fault with something and raise your concerns, but too often on these forums I think fans can become incessantly critical about everything that the writers do 'wrong' in their eyes, sometimes to the point of hurling abuse at the writers, as if they are morally obligated to owe them some perfect product that conforms to all THEIR expectations. I feel there is a massive difference in saying, "I wish that the writers had handled X, Y and Z differently, because of A, B and C", and people getting so up in arms about certain aspects of the adaptation.

Even if I agree that Show Catelyn is not Book Catelyn (and I can understand that can be disappointing), I guess at a certain point I wish we could move on from this discussion: some will accept these changes, others are perfectly free to think D&D suck at writing Catelyn, but let's just leave it and move on, and not keep harping on it. I guess everyone draws the line at different points, but depending on the tone which is used, 'constructive criticism' can devolve into outright bitching.

i agree with patrick , and its not just catelyn.

per your question why do we still watch to show , i can honestly say i dont really watch it , i just scan most of the episode (takes me about 25-30 minutes to watch the ok parts and the others i just cant stand) .

it was less so in season 2 but it was present there too (mainly jon and dany arc) .

this is in huge contrast to the first season which i couldn't get enough of, i loved almost every scene there.

its not about being book purist, its about ruining several arcs and characters and making a really boring tv, that i can't even watch.

but unlike other tv shows it can be remedied if they use the main ideas , dialogues and characteristics which are written in the book.

im pretty sure nobody wants to just see them bringing to life chapter by chapter exactly as it is .

Archived