[Book Spoilers] Farewell, Mance

Im sure i remember hearing Mance deliver the line 'When the long night comes, north of the Wall becomes the kingdom of the dead' in one of the behind the scenes videos, and i cant remember him saying that line in the first three episodes so unless its a deleted scene then he will probably have more scenes in future episodes (just not with Jon Snow)

Im sure i remember hearing Mance deliver the line 'When the long night comes, north of the Wall becomes the kingdom of the dead' in one of the behind the scenes videos, and i cant remember him saying that line in the first three episodes so unless its a deleted scene then he will probably have more scenes in future episodes (just not with Jon Snow)

Hm, yeah I remember that. I really hope you are right. Mance needs more screentime.

I mean I was expecting Mance to be missing in the second half of the season, but Mance is right with them until they're about to climb the Wall in the books. So they're changing the books in order to limit his screen time.

It's kind of baffling why they'd hire a fairly well known actor for a major character, and then only have him in 3 or 4 episodes. Do D+D just not like Mance?

Charles Dance appeared in only 4 episodes in season 1.

As I remember he complained, a little, about coming to the Blackwater episode, and speaking only one line.

Yeah, I'm not liking this Mance at all. There are several other roles I think Ciaran would have excelled at: Randly Tarly, the High Septon, Jon Connington, maybe even Doran. But I really wish they would have gotten someone younger to play Mance.

Dominic West would have been good, and James Purefoy would have been freaking perfect. I HATE that he hates this show b/c he thinks it replaced Rome. And his Rome co-star Kevin McKidd feels the same, which is a freaking travesty since he would be a perfect Jon Connington.

Charles Dance appeared in only 4 episodes in season 1.

As I remember he complained, a little, about coming to the Blackwater episode, and speaking only one line.

I suppose that's true. But then that's fairly true to how to things are in the books. Here there's material for Mance to be in at least 2 more episodes and yet they're compressing it into just 4 episodes. It's odd especially given how they spent all of season 2 building up Mance.

Here there's material for Mance to be in at least 2 more episodes and yet they're compressing it into just 4 episodes. It's odd especially given how they spent all of season 2 building up Mance.

Is there? They've pretty much covered most of what he does, the only thing missing is his back story about climbing the Wall. Theyve introduced him and shown him at the fist of the first men, which is pretty much all he does in the books at this point.

Is there? They've pretty much covered most of what he does, the only thing missing is his back story about climbing the Wall. Theyve introduced him and shown him at the fist of the first men, which is pretty much all he does in the books at this point.

Well in the books Jon is with Mance right until he's sent to climb the Wall. Whereas here it seems there'll be at least a couple of episodes before Jon does that and Mance is already gone. It's not a massive complaint I just thought that D+D would have wanted to capitalise on Mance's screen time as both a fairly well known actor in the TV business, and a major charismatic character. But instead he disappears after e3 and all his charisma is taken away.

I'll hold judgment seeing as we're only on episode 3, but the show definitely hasn't done any of the north of the wall stuff justice (aside from the white walker scene). The writers either don't care for that part of the story too much or they just suck at adapting it.

Until the Old Bear died, I personally didn't find the stuff North of the Wall very intriguing at all, with not much really happening. Kind of dragged, IMHO. I thought it fairly obvious that Jon, being the somewhat telegraphed (R+L=J) savior character, was never really in any great risk, which further reduced the dramatic tension. Mance also didn't really do all that much, though I thought his character really got interesting after Stannis showed up.

Well in the books Jon is with Mance right until he's sent to climb the Wall. Whereas here it seems there'll be at least a couple of episodes before Jon does that and Mance is already gone. It's not a massive complaint I just thought that D+D would have wanted to capitalise on Mance's screen time as both a fairly well known actor in the TV business, and a major charismatic character. But instead he disappears after e3 and all his charisma is taken away.

I agree more Mance would be good, but I think they have pretty much covered everything that he does, albeit in little detail. There is an entire chapter between when Jon leaves Mance and climbs the Wall, probably enough to fill two episodes (cave scene, getting to know the Raiders), but I also have a feeling that Jon isnt in the next episode, so there's more than enough for one episode.

In the books, there are just 2 chapters with Jon and Mace. The third one is the cave scene, and the next one is climbing the Wall.

I hope that , once Mance is out of the picture, we will be able to see some actual interaction between Jon and Ygritte, Orell and the rest... and let Jon be a main character, not just a background guy behing Mace.

Archived