Mance Hate? (Spoliers Possible)

So i see over and over people are upset with the way Mance is being portrayed. From what i gather people dont like that hes so stern and serious. Yes i understand he is not the colorful bard from the books but im just not sure it fits the theme North of the wall on the show.

The show has build Mance is the hardened battle commander and i think that is the right theme. North of the Wall is so dire and there is the under layer of fear and cold and all the scenes are portrayed as such. The Jovial Bard side of Mance i think would be off putting to the dire and serious North.

But it is still early. overall i think the show is just matching Mance to the North theme.

I think he should be much more handsome and charming in the show. The actor portraying him is great, but it's not the correct type of portrayal, IMO. In the books, Mance is a lover AND a fighter and that's how he wins over the wildlings and makes them into more or less cohesive group.

I'm sure this has been expressed elsewhere, but are we going to see Dalla?

So i see over and over people are upset with the way Mance is being portrayed. From what i gather people dont like that hes so stern and serious. Yes i understand he is not the colorful bard from the books but im just not sure it fits the theme North of the wall on the show.

The show has build Mance is the hardened battle commander and i think that is the right theme. North of the Wall is so dire and there is the under layer of fear and cold and all the scenes are portrayed as such. The Jovial Bard side of Mance i think would be off putting to the dire and serious North.

But it is still early. overall i think the show is just matching Mance to the North theme.

Its not just his demeanor.its all of the colorful backstory we're missing.

I hate show mance, as well as show Tormund, for many reasons. With Mance, I was looking forward to see this unassuming yet charismatic person who had both a sense of humour as well as commanded respect. They obviously cast Ciaran Hinds just because he starred in Rome, and HBO takes care of their people, other than that, I see no reason he should play Mance. I can usually overlook it when a character doesn't fit the physical description (such as Tyrion, Syrio Forel, etc) but I want the flavor of the character from the books to come through. Show Mance is very dry and doesn't seem to have any charisma at all.

Also, with Tormund, he was supposed to be really amiable and loud. Show Tormund is pretty much a clone of show Mance. It seems like they are having a contest with each other over who can stare at Jon more intensely.

Don't get me wrong though i love the book Mance hes just a secondary if not tertiary character on the show i dont think they have the time to build him the way we know him so they kept it simple and matched him to a theme. Hinds is great for the roll hes playing.

Because we have several stern, intelligent battle hardened leaders already on the show.

Stannis

Blackfish

Tywin

Jeor Mormont

Even Jorah and Barristan to a certain degree.

Mance was different. He was free. He symbolized the true nature of wildling way. He wasnt just another battle general. I agree that Thoros of Myr has basically become book Mance.

I did initially have problems with the actor chosen to play Mance, but I've gotten used to him now and kind of like him. But I don't have the problem you mentioned with how Mance is portrayed. I see his use of humor (just last night, the if Jon doesn't help Tormund in preparing to climb the wall, then "Throw him off a cliff"). Although I'm sure there was a serious underpinning to that comment, as I think he's still not completely "sold" on Jon, I think it was meant in am off-hand/dry humor way.

For me, it's not just Mance that bothers me, but the way that the Wildlings are being portrayed. I thought that one of the most important aspects of Jon infiltrating the Wildlings is that we got to see their humanity, their humor and that these are really just regular people with families that have a different philosophy on ruling themselves. I enjoy the Wildlings, as a group, in the books because of those qualities and right now the show is not showcasing it at all. Everything is really grim and bleak and grey and hard.

I was more looking forward to Tormund than Mance and I'm still waiting patiently to see more of his personality shine through.

@ Bluemangosteen, #10 above.

What I really, really agree with is that the North has been a huge disappointment, in this season and in last, actually. The opening part of (episode 1?) that showed Sam being attacked by a wight was such a cheat, I thought. As has been all the rest above the Wall.

Everything north of the Wall needs to go.

With Sam's story, nothing feels that dire. They are just strolling around. In the book, I felt like I might be attacked by a wight any second. It was harrowing. I get absolutely none of that feeling onscreen.

With regards to Mance, every past story of a king beyond the wall is so over the top awesome, and so was Mance. They are all larger than life to me. Mance in this show is just another guy like Randall Tarly or something. His scenes have been short, without any real color and he has zero charisma.

Don't even get me started on Ghost and Jon Snow.

I did initially have problems with the actor chosen to play Mance, but I've gotten used to him now and kind of like him. But I don't have the problem you mentioned with how Mance is portrayed. I see his use of humor (just last night, the if Jon doesn't help Tormund in preparing to climb the wall, then "Throw him off a cliff"). Although I'm sure there was a serious underpinning to that comment, as I think he's still not completely "sold" on Jon, I think it was meant in am off-hand/dry humor way.

That comment was a direct threat. I don't think it was meant to be funny at all.

And whoever said that Tormund and Mance are having a contest to see who can stare the hardest at Jon is hilarious!!!

@ Bluemangosteen, #10 above.

What I really, really agree with is that the North has been a huge disappointment, in this season and in last, actually. The opening part of (episode 1?) that showed Sam being attacked by a wight was such a cheat, I thought. As has been all the rest above the Wall.

I agree, when reading any north chapter, i love the anticipation etc. Now I just want the beyond the wall scenes to be done with. In the heresy threads there has been talk about the dumbing down in the tv show, but that combined with nothing scenes and lack of charisma is just too much. I do still have hope though...

Jon's storyline completely sucks so I supposed Mance's portrayal fits right in.

Anyway, I love, love book Mance but show Mance doesn't do it for me at all. I don't care if the actor/actress looks exactly like the book counterpart, but Mance's problem is beyond that. The characterization is all wrong. He has been stripped of everything that made him that amazing character in the books- his love of life and freedom, his taste for music and women, his charisma to win others with a song etc and turn him into a Tywin/Jeor Mormont/Umber copy.

Mance was different. He was free. He symbolized the true nature of wildling way. He wasnt just another battle general.

For me, it's not just Mance that bothers me, but the way that the Wildlings are being portrayed. I thought that one of the most important aspects of Jon infiltrating the Wildlings is that we got to see their humanity, their humor and that these are really just regular people with families that have a different philosophy on ruling themselves. I enjoy the Wildlings, as a group, in the books because of those qualities and right now the show is not showcasing it at all. Everything is really grim and bleak and grey and hard.

These two quotes sum up the problem perfectly. Jon is supposed to be learning about what their freedom means. Things are still supposed to be grim, but the point is to show him that they still have the joy of free human spirit. When he finally succumbs to Ygritte the viewer/reader is supposed to be convinced that he really truly has turned to the side that fights for the living.

And I really wanted to hear "The Dornishman's Wife"

I second that regarding the wildlings. In the first episode, with the giant and kids running about I thought that we would have more of the freedom feeling on other scenes, but after the first episode things got really grim. However we only had 3 episodes so I hope they can at least change the tone a bit. As for Mance, well I'm ok with the show Mance now, I mean after realizing that he is really different from the Book Mance (on the first episode), I'm fine with this more serious version of him. Well I'm probably ok with the change because I really love Hinds as an actor and I'm happy to see him there.

I like show!Mance. The only thing that bothers me is that they are giving so little screen time to Mance. He has appeared for like 10 minutes in all three episodes combined, and it looks like we won't be seeing him until episode 10 now.

Archived