Who will command the Twins after Lord Frey dies?

BearandMaidenFair

Odds are that it will be a Frey named Walder. I doubt that the family will be eliminated.

To those who think there should be free passage over the bridge, a medieval economy doesn't work that way. Whoever controls a choke point can charge what the traffic will bear for access. Those picturesque castles on the Rhine were big toll booths, and the guy collecting the toll was also the local sheriff, judge, jailer, and executioner, with a small army to back him up.

Walder Frey will be sitting in his chair in his hall with all his sons, grandsons, bastards dead, and stoneheart will say no frey will ever outlive the Starks and Tullys. The Twins would be pulled down stone by stone.

I think Edwyn and Black Walder and other male Freys will be dead before long and the girl Walda Frey will be the heir, followed by Perra Frey. So they will end up betrothed as part of the sorting out of the power balance in Westeros, as the story continues.

After Lord Walder dies, Edwyn Frey will be the Lord of the Crossing. Black Walder and Edwyn hate each other, and will probably try to gather Freys to their sides. Lame Lothar Frey will likely manipulate them into conflict, and seek to make himself the kingmaker so to speak in the Twins. The chances are that one faction will end occupying one castle and the other faction the other. If one castle gets attacked, they can't look forward to receiving aid from the other side.

Stannis may attack the Northern side, or Dany will parallel Aegon taking Harrenhal, the ruler of the riverlands, and burn the Twins leaving the house extinct or close to it. Olyvar and Perwyn will likely be spared I hope.

All revenge fantasies aside, so far it seems like everything is coming down to Edwyn Frey and Black Walder. Edwyn obviously has the better claim, but Black Walder's the fighter, and what's more, he was one of the main architects of the Red Wedding along with Lame Lothar. Walder Rivers may prove to be another kingmaker, as he's another fighter. Most of the Freys are of the dull and stupid sort, but these four are described pretty much as being the meanest, most suspicious, dangerous, and capable of the lot.

Black Walder or Lame Lothar for now, Big Walder in the long run (no matter where he is in the succession!)

House Frey is more or less doomed. Having one of those responsible for the RW as leader of their house will only hasten their downfall as the North does not forget.

Winter is coming, and those cruel and craven enough to make sacrifices to the Others will survive and prosper- like the Boltons, and the Freys.

Walder Frey will outlast everyone

This might be the bittersweet end GRRM talked about. All humans die, except Walder Frey and Ramsay... Lol

All revenge fantasies aside, so far it seems like everything is coming down to Edwyn Frey and Black Walder. Edwyn obviously has the better claim, but Black Walder's the fighter, and what's more, he was one of the main architects of the Red Wedding along with Lame Lothar. Walder Rivers may prove to be another kingmaker, as he's another fighter. Most of the Freys are of the dull and stupid sort, but these four are described pretty much as being the meanest, most suspicious, dangerous, and capable of the lot.

Re revenge fantasy, I assume the Freys will continue, but it does seem the BWB will do something or other at Riverrun, whether at poor Daven's wedding or another time, and Edwyn and Black Walder will have to be near the top of their hit list, so I just don't see them surviving for much longer. I think Edwyns daughter Walda is the heir to watch.

To those who think there should be free passage over the bridge, a medieval economy doesn't work that way. Whoever controls a choke point can charge what the traffic will bear for access. Those picturesque castles on the Rhine were big toll booths, and the guy collecting the toll was also the local sheriff, judge, jailer, and executioner, with a small army to back him up.

True. Also it should be mentioned that bridges don't repair themselves. Someone has to be there to keep the bridge in good condition.

Archived