Why did you start reading the books?

YNGWLF

Friends of my parents knew I liked fantasy, so they went to a bookstore to get me a birthday present. They asked the person there what's hot in fantasy, so the person recommended ASOIAF (doubtless due to the TV show's popularity, this was in summer 2011), so they got me the first 4 books.

I didn't really read them until around March 2012 or so when I was bored one day and so began to read (although I'd peeked at the endings and appendices so most of the major events got spoiled for me).

And that was that.

I had a lot of library patrons returning the books telling me they were "the best thing ever" and others telling me they were unreadable. Sounded like my kinda book!

Highest compliment the book got was from a woman who wasn't known to be the greatest thinker, "That book made my brain hurt. I nearly threw it in the garbage".

Season one of this thing called Game of Thrones. I'd heard about the books but never seemed to find the time. After watching the first season I decided it was time to make the time. As much as I liked the show, I tend to think that the books any movie/show are based off are always better than the show/movie.

Now I'm in and may need a twelve step program at some point.

In camp, a Swiss guy suggested to play a game, which turned out to be the Game of Thrones board game. We had a lot of fun and he mentioned that they were actually based on a pretty genius book series. So I started the books. Never saw him again though. If anyone with the name of Reto happens to read this, THANK YOU!

I heard about the show sometime after the first season ended. I caught up with the episodes, watched the second season live then decided to start the books. Until these books I thought Terry Goodkind was a good author. Now I drive around with a direwolf decal.

Seriously though, best series I've ever read. I had to lay out a schedule of agreed upon reading times with my wife after ACoK, because I got so damn absorbed.

It was about 8 or 9 years ago and I saw Game of Thrones at the book store.

It had a shiny cover and good reviews on the first couple pages, and it was a genre I enjoyed. I don't remember the last time I read a book so fast, it was very addictive reading.

I was an extra in Season 1 on the wall and while it was being filmed i wanted to know dafuq was going on. So HBO is responsible but i did manage to have half the books (up to somewhere in aSoS) finished before the show first aired so I can still class myself in that elitist "I read the books before it was on tv" category. :cool4:

Also I actually took the black.... sorta

I was an extra in Season 1 on the wall and while it was being filmed i wanted to know dafuq was going on. So HBO is responsible but i did manage to have half the books (up to somewhere in aSoS) finished before the show first aired so I can still class myself in that elitist "I read the books before it was on tv" category. :cool4:

Also I actually took the black.... sorta

You were an extra? Were you that Night's Watch guy who got his head lopped off by Sean Bea- I mean Ned?

You were an extra? Were you that Night's Watch guy who got his head lopped off by Sean Bea- I mean Ned?

Nah just background. Essentially a human prop. But I was in the crowd when mormont gave his "Beyond the wall" speech before everyone took their vows. And I was an onlooker in when Jon showed of his fancy new Sword after he killed the wight. And I was doing sword drills in the background in Sam's first scene where he gets the shit kicked out of him. Helped Aemon up some stairs too.

Good times!

I wanted to know what happened after season 2, so I picked up book 1, read it while season 2 was airing, then read books 2 and 3 over the summer. Then finished books 4 and 5 in the fall, AFfC in October and ADwD in the first week of December 2012.

2 episodes into the first TV series, I was amazed by the series & going by experience (lotr) the books are always better, so I bought GOT, read it within a week, watched ep 3, bought the next three books & read them within 2 weeks. I had bought & read AFFC before the end of the first series & finished ADWD shortly after. Never looked back.

Archived