Why did you start reading the books?

YNGWLF

My friends bought me the box-set of the first four books as a present, but I never bothered opening it. Then when I was sitting bored in my winter holidays I decided to watch Game of Thrones to see if it was worth getting into a book-series composed entirely of doorstoppers. Loved the first season, so then read all five books before the second season came along.

You know that a human being was murdered during roughly the same time period, right? Where's the Mycah love?

Yeah, but a ginger, so not a real person with a soul and all. Or is that just from the TV series?

I started reading the books after season 2 ended. I was extremely reluctant to get into an unfinished series with a reputation for long waits in between books. This series is worth it though.

I think it was...6-7 years ago (or maybe not so much) when I was browsing for good fantasy series to read, and saw artwork from this website

http://winterfell.altervista.org/gallery2.htm, fell in love with the art, and then started reading the books. Then aDwD came out and I had to reread everything because I basically forgot all that happened.

I'm still discovering things that I completely missed through watching the show and visiting these forums.

My dad had been pestering me for years to read them and on one road trip, I finally picked up AGOT. This was just before Feast came out and I got hooked. I've probably read them at least half a dozen times since then, not including all the re-reads of certain chapters I do when I get in a discussion on here.

Another show-convertee here. For some inexplicable reason, ASOIAF had managed to stay under my radar completely until then, even though I'm a fantasy-literature-addict, and have been since around the time aGoT was first printed. Needless to say, once I got started, I couldn't stop. Haven't started season 3 yet (HBO isn't worth the price in my country, waiting for the bluray), but while it's good, the show is not nearly equal to the books anyway.

Watched the show first. The promos looked interesting but I really got hooked when Jaime ushed Bran at the end of the 1st episode. Then my mom cancelled our subscription to HBO right after LF betrayed Ned, and I needed my fix. Found out there were books, rented the books, and I have to say it was much better than the show.

Got into it of the posotiv review of my brother who was talking about it to a mate which got me intriuged so I borrowed a copy of GoT and god stuck in. An enthrawling read from start to finish. He was reading it because he'd heard of the show, liked the sound of it and wanted to read the book before he whatched it. So we ended up whatching the first season together after we'd both read the first book.

Usualy don't read fantasy or fiction in general, about the only other books of the gener(spelling?) I've read are Tolkin's Lord of the Ring's and The Hobbit (and the Deltora quest books but thats yearssssss ago). Am a big history reader though and the books polotical intriuges was one of the main hooks for me.

I watched the show, season 1, but did not get hooked until Ned's head fell. Then I thought the books should be OK, so I started reading GOT and then I read them all pretty fast, before season 2 started. I think the books are much better than the show, but season 3 (and of course this forum) is helping to ease the wait for TWOW...

Yikes, I am the old lady on this thread. I read the first book of the series way back when it first came out in 1998 ? My oldest son who is 33 today enjoyed fantasy books as a teenager so I borrowed his paperback. I read book one and was so upset over Lady dying and the treatment of Jon Snow and then Ned Stark dying... that I put the book aside at the end and went on to read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

When ACOK came out I read the second book and became distraught over Arya and the fear I had over another favorite character dying.

I did not buy the series again until Game of Thrones came out on HBO. This was a huge advantage as my husband and I did not have to do the long night wait for book three, four and five. I can not imagine how that must have felt for those who had to wait five years for book four and then another five for ADWD to discover what happened to their favorite characters.

Now that I have reread the entire series and listened to them on audio about four times..I am in the same situation as everyone else..lol praying and hoping I live long enough for GRRM to finish the series before I have a stroke or drop dead.

I take comfort in the fact that he GRRM is my age! George, I salute you ! You have given this old lady many hours of enjoyment and speculation regarding my favorite characters. Get to writing and finish this series before my eye sight completely fails. :drunk:

Rented Series 1 from lovefilm after hearing good things, borrowed the books from a friend and read through them all, watched Series 2, bought all the books for myself, found the forums, started a re-read (On Clash), watching Series 3 now. :D

Archived