Why did you start reading the books?

YNGWLF

Also, who here started watching the show before reading the books?

I'll start.

I watched the pilot episode of GOT the day it came out at my parents house while I was visiting them. After that i went home and told my girlfriend "we seriously have to start watching this show". After about seven episodes I ran into someone in Portland who i saw reading the first book. I told him "I've been watching the show, but how are the books?" and he told me "the show is great... But the books are F&%$!!! amazing" So I read all of them. I found this forum and the wiki page before I finished all the books, but I told myself I had to finish all the books before I really got involved with the forum.

So, What made you guys want to read the Song of Ice and Fire books?

Also, for you veteran posters, how has the blog changed since the show started? I'm sure there was a huge influx of "noobs" (or people like me) that came on to the scene after the show started.

I can't remember. It was just before the show began and I got a damaged copy of aGoT at work on the cheap, and I guess I was like "Why not?" Initially, I wanted to read all the books before watching the show and before aDwD but for some reason, I got really annoyed in the middle of CoK (again, don't remember why) and put it down for a whole year. A coworker kept on me til I picked it back up again. I love/hate him for it.

Why did I start reading books? - Appendicitis :). I was in the hospital, and my cousin bought me the aGOT to cheer me up.

And after reading aSOS, I completely was cut off books, all the way until I saw the pilot of HBO show. And then I realized, I know this from somewhere :)

The books were on my reading list for a long time but I had no desire to start a series that did not have a consistent publishing schedule. I had the books on my list as A Song of Ice and Fire, so when someone told me I should watch Game of Thrones, it didn't click. I watched the first episode and was clicking to view the second when I saw the intro credits and finally realized. I stopped watching and got the books. It was soon after ADWD had been released. I didn't want to start an incomplete series but I'd also learned my lesson from previous screen adaptations that spoiled me. It's easy enough to avoid book spoilers because critics and bloggers alike are careful to keep spoilers away from headlines, but tv critics are completely incapable of doing the same.

So I bought the books and read them in a week.

Stumbled onto the tv tropes page and saw that awesome pic of Sansa building the castle, and had to see what it was about.

The back cover for GoT is one of the coolest things Ive ever read. Anyone know who wrote it?

A regular customer hoisted the book at me in 2011 and told me I HAD to read it. I think it was @page 160 that I slammed the book shut in disgust and gave the book back to her. When Sansa's Lady was killed, it kinda pushed me over the edge. I was already disturbed from the Bran fall and the "It should have been you" line.

But the weird thing was I couldn't stop thinking about Arya and Jon. I worried if they were okay and were they safe. A month later, I asked the customer if Jon and Arya were okay and she told me that they were alive through all four books! (This was before ADWD came out. Lucky for me because I never would have kept reading if she told me only one child was alive).

So, I re-borrowed the book again from her and have been reading them over and over since then:) I love this series because I constantly find new things on the re-reads!

I was vaguely aware of the series from playing the boardgame, but i never really took much interest in the story. Then years later a friend mentioned the show, and I raced through the first season pretty quickly. It wasn't long after that that I sought out the books. The show has never been quite as enjoyable since, althought the boardgame continues to amuse me.

I had seen the previews for Season 1 on HBO at a friends house so I looked it up online and read the Wikipedia overview for the novels. Got about halfway down the page and I had to read the series before watching the show (knowing full well books are always better). My partner bought the first 3 novels for me for Christmas and I bought the 4th as soon as I was done reading them. The show got my partner interested and I finally talked her into letting me read the books out loud :P We just finished that...which would have been my 4th re read....and she is so hooked....now she'll feel the pain of waiting for TWOW with me...lol.

A regular customer hoisted the book at me in 2011 and told me I HAD to read it. I think it was @page 160 that I slammed the book shut in disgust and gave the book back to her. When Sansa's Lady was killed, it kinda pushed me over the edge. I was already disturbed from the Bran fall and the "It should have been you" line.

In my multiple re-reads, and my now two full views of season 1 of the series, the only thing I cannot read again or see is the scene leading up to Lady's death.

I watched the first two episodes of the series before I read the books. When Cersei smiled slightly and said, "we have a wolf" and Sansa and Arya both started to protest and cry, understanding what was going on and not wanting it to be true, I got really emotional and upset. Then Ned killed Lady, and I was sort of beside myself.

I refused to watch anymore of the show until I read the books, so I could be prepared for anything else that came up. And then once I did, I couldn't believe I had never read them before, and why it had taken me so long to find this series.

But I still skip the death of Lady, written or filmed. It's the one death I kind of never got over, probably from the shock of seeing that scene and not being prepared for it.

In my multiple re-reads, and my now two full views of season 1 of the series, the only thing I cannot read again or see is the scene leading up to Lady's death.

I watched the first two episodes of the series before I read the books. When Cersei smiled slightly and said, "we have a wolf" and Sansa and Arya both started to protest and cry, understanding what was going on and not wanting it to be true, I got really emotional and upset. Then Ned killed Lady, and I was sort of besidemyself...

...But I still skip the death of Lady, written or filmed. It's the one death I kind of never got over, probably from the shock of seeing that scene and not being prepared for it.

You know that a human being was murdered during roughly the same time period, right? Where's the Mycah love?

You know that a human being was murdered during roughly the same time period, right? Where's the Mycah love?

Yeah. I think I got too choked up during the part about Lady to even finish the episode, to be honest.

And I think, based on Bran getting pushed out the window and everything taking place under the auspices of Jon Arryn's murder at the hands of the Lannisters, I was expecting cruel, callous things to happen to human beings at the hands of other human beings. (Doesn't make it right or better, but I was prepared).

I wasn't prepared for Lady, plain and simple.

Google news noted that Boromir had been cast to play some guy named Ned Stark based on a book series that I thought I had read about in TIME.. I said to myself "HBO's making a fantasy series? I have to check out the books."

Archived