If Rhaegar had kidnapped some other woman...

Ice Turtle

Actually that may not be true, Duncan was seen as Aegon's heir when mentioning the burning of Summerhall. I don't know, he said to lost his claim yet that part is weird.

Duncan gave up his claim when he married Jenny of Oldstones against his fathers wishes and caused a lot of deaths. That's about 20-30 years before Summerhall.

I know that, but for some reason he was seen as Egg's heir after the Summerhall, doesn't make sense. Anyway, I don't see it as Aerys, Mace seems older then Rhaegar's generation, and Rhaegar was born when his parents were teenagers.

I think it has something to do with Aegon's mysterious third son.

I think Rheagar could not simply breed with any highborn or lowborn girl. Steffon Baratheon, Robert's dad and Aerys cousin was sent with his wife to Essos to find a suitable bride for Rheagar since he had no sister to marry. What this means is find a girl with Valaryian blood in her of suitable breeding age. They could not so they settled on Elia of Dorne as she had Targaryen Blood, as the "sister - bride swap" that started the Blackfyre rebellion and joined Dorne to the Iron Throne. Lyanna was what at the time? 8, 9, 10? Younger, 7 I think. There was no one else other than Elia.

What about Cersei, Catelyn, Mace's sister or Leyton's daughter(i forget how old was Harry the heir's mom?)?

Everything regarding Rheagar was heavily influenced by prophecy and breeding "riders of the dragon" had to be pretty high on this list of requirements.

At Harenhal, Elia was already known to be unable to produce(any more) children thus Rheagar was looking but I think he already knew of one, Lyanna Stark. I have been saying that I feel the Starks have Targaryen blood that probably comes behind the Baratheon blood line though Targ princesses. Probably Aegon V younger daughters that "married for love". The book being released in October regarding the history of Westeros, I hope sheds light on the Stark family tree to confirm this.

What's about Lyanna that made him think she could breed the third head? Plumms, Baratheons, Martells, Arryns, Velaryons and Westerlings are all mention to marry Targs. If Starks are not maybe it's because it wasn't significant enough(minor branch or a long time ago).

Anyways, Rheagar trained to be a warrior, a warrior is high priority to fulfill this prophecy. Elia was never a warrior, she was always sickly we are

told with a sharp toungue. ok, noble but not a warrior. When Lyanna and we all pretty much assume that Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree, Rheagar was charged by his paranoid father to find out who this mysterious Knight was, Rheagar, knowing of her lineage and Targ blood relation and her being a female warrior may have been so overcome with passion and excitement in her that he lost his senses and kidnapped her. Reminds me of the Greek mythology tale of Theseus of Athens spying on Helen of Troy when she was 15, bathing or dancing with other girls and he sprung at her and raped her in madness of passion of her beauty or some other "reason". I think that may have happened for Rheagar too. Make no mistake, Lyanna had to have some "genetic standard" that made her acceptable to breed with for a "dragon".

Curious because the Targ line comes from the non warrior of Aegons wife's, Rhaenys, not Visenya. Mormont women would fit that criteria even better them Lyanna.

The higborn men in Westeros that want many children have a very clear solution: a Frey wife. All they have to do is sneeze next to one and boom, triplets!

• 2 weeks later...

If Rhaegar had kidnapped Cersei, he would have returned her next day.

But Tywin would be more than glad that he "stole" her daughter.

"My Lord, aren't we going to go and rescue your daughter?"

"Nah, let's give them some time, I mean... let's take some time to plan the whole rescue, yeah. That".

Rhaegar should have taken Walda!

I have a flashback to "Dracula, Dead and Lovin' It" :lol:

Even if Rhaegar kidnapped a whore from Flea Bottom, the rebellion would have still happened. Aerys, the guy who slowly burned a man alive and forced his son to watch and choke himself while he tried to save his father, was ruling as king, and with that guy in charge a rebellion couldn't not happen.

Even if Rhaegar kidnapped a whore from Flea Bottom, the rebellion would have still happened. Aerys, the guy who slowly burned a man alive and forced his son to watch and choke himself while he tried to save his father, was ruling as king, and with that guy in charge a rebellion couldn't not happen.

Well, that depends - maybe Rhaegar had plans to replace his father sooner rather than later, unfortunately for everyone (him included), he decided to have a little adventure first. However, if Aerys hadn't murdered Rickard and Brandon, maybe Rhaegar wouldn't have realized he needed to replacement just yet - Aerys had been deteriorating for a while after all (since Duskendale), with no apparent action taken by Rhaegar.

It's been speculated that the Tourney at Harrenhal was supposed to be grounds for planning a coup, but whatever the truth of that, it didn't happen.

If Rhaegar had kidnapped Cersei Lannister, Cersei and Tywin would have been thrilled. Chances are they'd have Elia and her kids killed, but covertly and for different reasons. Dorne would still end up hating Lannisters.

If Rhaegar kidnapped Catelyn Tully, he'd still be getting the "come out and die" speech from Brandon, and subsequent to Brandon and Rickard's grisly death, the rebellion may still happen. The difference here is Robert would still be engaged to Lyanna, and there's a good chance Eddard ends up marrying Ashara Dayne. Young Petyr Baelish would perhaps join the rebellion to save his beloved Cat, and so maybe the Tower of Joy happens with him as the protagonist ?!!! (More likely he gets cut down by Dawn.)

If Rhaegar kidnapped Lysa Tully, Hoster would probably be okay with it, Jon Arryn would likely die childless or maybe marry Selyse Florent or something.

If Rhaegar kidnapped Selyse Florent ... nothing much would happen except Jon Connington having a nervous breakdown due to moustache envy. Stannis would be a much happier man.

If Rhaegar kidnapped Asha Greyjoy, he'd be pedo-bear.

If Rhaegar kidnapped Catelyn Tully, he'd still be getting the "come out and die" speech from Brandon, and subsequent to Brandon and Rickard's grisly death, the rebellion may still happen. The difference here is Robert would still be engaged to Lyanna, and there's a good chance Eddard ends up marrying Ashara Dayne. Young Petyr Baelish would perhaps join the rebellion to save his beloved Cat, and so maybe the Tower of Joy happens with him as the protagonist ?!!! (More likely he gets cut down by Dawn.)

Doubt it. The Daynes were Targaryen Loyalists.

If Rhaegar kidnapped Lysa Tully, Hoster would probably be okay with it, Jon Arryn would likely die childless or maybe marry Selyse Florent or something.

If Rhaegar had kidnapped Lysa, he would have been the one jumping through the Moon Door.

Archived