[Book Spoilers] No Patchface?

Warrior Queen

Most interesting are the changes to wording.

"The fish take wing" was not in the books IIRC.

"It snows up" was changed to "the snow falls up". To better understand what may be meant?

"My lord" has become "my love". But that could be just, because it is Shireen and not Patches singing.

"The water burns" is still in the song although the Battle of the Blackwater already happened. Could it be that its equivalent "smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green, blue and black" was not related to the Blackwater in the books - as thought - neither?

Most interesting are the changes to wording.

"The fish take wing" was not in the books IIRC.

"It snows up" was changed to "the snow falls up". To better understand what may be meant?

"My lord" has become "my love". But that could be just, because it is Shireen and not Patches singing.

"The water burns" is still in the song although the Battle of the Blackwater already happened. Could it be that its equivalent "smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green, blue and black" was not related to the Blackwater in the books - as thought - neither?

Imho "water burns" still means blackwater, could be a hint towards audience, they'd have no way of finding out it's a prophecy otherwise. Green wildfire, blue water in BLACKwater bay, where the water burns and smoke rises seems like the only logical conclusion.

I also think My lord and My love are interchangable as we switch perspectives from patchy to stoneface as well.

And yes, i guess snow falls up to snowing up was changed to make it clearer.

I reckon they put in the verse about a Tully flying in to make the prophetic value more obvious to non-bookies

to me verses untill "shadows" sound like depicting ashaii and/or valyria, and when it comes to shadows part it becomes obvious that that what happened to valyria and/or ashaii is coming here and it's gonna be same.

P.S. to make things clearer, this is how i see it

It's always summer under the sea........ it's always summer under the shadow(ashaii)

I know, I know, oh oh oooh

The birds have scales, and the fish take wing (?)(there's lots of freaky creatures in valyria/ashaii)

The rain is dry, and the snow falls up(some1 mentioned dry rain as meteors, that's what doomed valyria, wasn't it?, also, it snows even there but since whole cataclysm, it melts while still up)

The stones crack open, the water burns(volcanos errupt, lava comes out)

The shadows come to dance, my love

The shadows come to play

The shadows come to stay.

to me verses untill "shadows" sound like depicting ashaii and/or valyria, and when it comes to shadows part it becomes obvious that that what happened to valyria and/or ashaii is coming here and it's gonna be same.

P.S. to make things clearer, this is how i see it

It's always summer under the sea........ it's always summer under the shadow(ashaii)

The birds have scales, and the fish take wing (?)(there's lots of freaky creatures in valyria/ashaii)

The rain is dry, and the snow falls up(some1 mentioned dry rain as meteors, that's what doomed valyria, wasn't it?, also, it snows even there but since whole cataclysm, it melts while still up)

The shadows come to play

Interesting interpretation!

The shadows come to play

I agree with the fact that it has some resemblance towards the doom, but I don't think patchy and stoney's song have anything to do with it.

Imho under the sea doesn't mean "under the shadows". Patchface often says "under the sea" before a prophecy, which leads me to think it is because he saw it happening in his visions during the days he spent under the sea after his ship went down.

His phrase, the birds have scales is quite obvious for dragons, and flying fish seems rather symbolic than a reference to actual flying fish, they'd have called it birds if they could actually fly.

As earlier, no idea what dry rain means, but your explanation for snow falling up seems a bit farfetched to me.

About the stones cracking open: the 14 flames (the 14 volcanoes) were active long before the doom, so they didn't really crack open then. It COULD however refer to the fact that the earth split open, every hill for over 500 miles was split in two, on the day of the doom.

Also, meteors are what doomed Valyria? Afaik noone knows what exactly caused the doom, only that there was loads of fire.

This will put pressure on the producers when it turns out patchface is Azor Ahai reborn, real heir to Winterfell, and actually Aerys long lost eldest son and rightful heir to the Iron Throne as well.

What have you been tripping on? Patchy was found as a boy by the expedition that was sent looking for Rhaegar's bride. This means Rhaegar must be older so Patchy isn't eldest...

Obviously Patchy is son of Ilyn Payne and Old Nan, which means he's TPTWP, ending up as one of the 3 heads (the left one)

It's a pretty smart handling of the situation. Quite possibly they couldn't cast Patchface for budget/timescale reasons. This way they can bring him in later (S5?) and explain that Shireen learnt her songs from him OR they can combine the two characters into Shireen, as, they go everywhere together, their effect on future plots may mean this is possible.

Loved Shireen and Selyse. Both fabulous.

I am so fucked off by the lack of Patchface.

me too. creepiest character in the books. could have been cool with the right casting.

patchface is much more than just a fool.

:agree: I LOVE PATCHFACE, TOO!!!

No Patches? :crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl: and they gave us pickled babies instead of PATCHY??? UNFORGIVABLE!

Besides, Pacthface is AAR, TPTWP and a secret Targ, isn't he??

Patchface always seemed Jar Jar binks like to me. I'm glad the show did away with him.

How DARE you compare awesome Patchface with incredibly terrible, horrible Jar Jar Binks!!

Along with Olenna Tyrell and Butterbumps, he's one of Martin's most Mervyn Peake style characters, who along with Dolorous Edd appears to be a hobby-horse of Martin's: and in the next book he'll do something fairly important, which won't be readily attributable to Shireen, so I can't help feeling they screwed up there.

well i know what you mean. but patchface might become quite important in the future, their is very much something that doesnt meet the eye with that jolly-creepy fella

OR the fact he is omitted from the show (Possibly, we thought the Jojens were not going to be there as well.) might mean he has no future role in the books besides creepy comic relief Which would be a bummer because I don't want anything from the books spoiled from the show because D&D know the ending.

Angry as well by the omission of Patchface but the idea to merge him with Shireen isn't terrible, when you consider they could of completely omitted him and his prophecies.

Cogman said in the latest interview on this site, that Patchface didn't work right in the scene and was another new character to add to the already long list of new characters in this season. Also, that he would need more exposition. So as of yet, he's not in the show. However I have some hopes they will add him in later if Patchface indeed becomes more prominent.

Wasn't Patchface from Volantis? Isn't that where the slave tattoos come from? I have to admit; I find it hard to get motivated to keep that stuff straight. But you would think they would have been ALL OVER that shit! Don't they love Volantis? :)

I'm a bit disappointed by this, but mainly because it means I'm wrong about Patchface being more important in himself. Because Melisandre is afraid of him and sees visions of him, I thought he was going to come through as a major hidden evil character, especially with his mysterious past. But the writers would know a bit about which characters are important in the future and he clearly wasn't, just the prophecies.

Archived