Looking for classic Sci-Fi and Fantasy that has aged well

Alytha

I did mention it in my post. Admittedly, I've only read the first book so far, were the sequels as good as the first one?

I enjoyed all of the book immensely. Gateway was my favorite of the series but all of them are rich in ideas and have great characters. I have read them all over the years probably a dozen times. They are just as good today, and just as relevant as they were the first time I read them.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion Series (began in '90) is assuredly a (hard) sci-fi classic in the making and pioneers the advent of the internet and its evolution. Strong female characters IIRC.

Hyperion Began in '89, no?

I've read Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion and Endymion, I haven't read the Rise of Endymion.

I liked the first two a lot (I actually liket the Fall even more than I liked Hyperion). The Third book seemed a bit hollow in comparison to the other two, I think Simmons got lost along the way to deliver something that I've yet to read about (hopefully in The Rise of Endymion). I did like the two narrating characters of the Third Book.

In the Making?

Hard SciFi?

Stong female characters?

No, no, and no.

Harsh...I guess Hyperion winning the hugo award was a fluke. Come on, the world building and the technological concepts in the series were well-grounded in scientific concepts and pretty much unparalleled up to that point. Simmons' vision of the advent of the internet was really groundbreaking at that point in time ('89) too. I'd say say Brawne Lamia, Aenea and the female CEO of the Hegemony ( cant remember her name) were all strong female characters.

Well, considering I fell most Hugo winners to be absolute shit, I don't know if I would call it a fluke. Although I liked the original, at the time.

My main beef is with the two "sequels" he wrote years later that completely retcon books one and two where the main female character is mainly there to get fucked by the main male character.

Also

I don't know what you consider hard sci-fi, but I'm pretty sure most definitions don't include Jesus having magic blood for outer space

And Simmons internet didn't have anything I hadn't seen in a Gibson book before.

I think the best female character in that series was The Poet's insane publisher. Rachel and Brawne Lamia were ok, but often defined by relationships with men. Aenea was squicky as all hell. (We shall see the interest in mysterious, powerful, sexual adolescent girls return in the Terror and to an extent Olympos. Yay.) Not terrible (at least not in Hyperion/Fall.) I've certainly read worse. But nothing to write home about either.

Don't get me wrong, theres a lot to love about Hyperion, but it's female characters and hard SF classic status aren't it.

Archived