Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister

mushroomshirt

• 1 month later...

http://www.booklounge.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780345539120

The perfect gift for fans of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire novels and HBO’s Game of Thrones: a collection of wicked one-liners from the incomparable Imp of Casterly Rock, fully illustrated by Jonty Clark!

“My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind . . . and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.”

The jealous masses of the Seven Kingdoms may call him Halfman, but none have ever accused Tyrion Lannister of being a halfwit. His golden tongue has saved his skin slightly more often than it has landed him in mortal peril. Now, this special illustrated volume preserves his most essential knowledge for future generations, featuring time-tested guidance on such varied subjects as . . .

The art of persuasion

“The best lies are seasoned with a bit of truth.”

Fine dining

“A little honest loathing can be refreshing, like a tart wine after too much sweet.”

The fair sex

“The young ones smell much better, but the old ones know more tricks.”

Royal politics

“Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.”

Common ailments

“A sword through the bowels. A sure cure for constipation.”

At once charming, insightful, and ruthlessly irreverent, The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister is short on pretense and overflowing with finely crafted gems—just like the man himself.

I hate it whenever someone references that Neil Gaiman blog post, when that guy's thoroughly irrelevant as a writer and was obviously just trying to cash in on some awareness through GRRM. What an egoistic buffoon.

And it looks like the series really did pretty much die with ASOS. Please let TWOW actually come out and not suffer from the same pacing issues we've dealt with until now...

:agree:

So much for him rushing to complete The Winds Of Winter. Perhaps he's just given up trying to stay ahead of the show.

For fuck's sake...

A quote from the original press release (guess where can you find it?):

It has been compiled by the HarperCollins George RR Martin’s UK editor Jane Johnson and will be illustrated by artist and caricaturist Jonty Clark. Although the book is authorized by George RR Martin no new material from the author is anticipated: he is hard at work on the sixth and penultimate volume of the series, The Winds of Winter.

So, GRRM's contribution for this, let's call it generously, book, consisted of, most likely, putting his signature on the bottom of some document, allowing Harper Collins to print it. Sure, he could have used those two seconds way more productively. Write a couple chapters, at least. Maybe three.

(No, not gonna buy it, either. After all, I've already bought all the books so far, why pay for a compilations of quotes from them? But your bitching is ridiculous.)

MULTIPLE THOUGHTS:

If it's just a book full of quotes, I highly doubt GRRM himself is doing nor do I doubt that it was even his IDEA to do. It'll likely feature show-only quotes as well, if what I read was true.

But if this isn't just quotes but say... what his thought process was behind the quotes, what made him come up with the line, how some lines also double as foreshadowing, explain his logic with Tyrion in general and overall go into his creative insight? I'd totally read that just to hear what GRRM has to say.

But a quote-only book? Pass. Hell, maybe i'd consider it if it was "The wit and wisdom of House Lannister" or something like that as Jaime and Cersei and even Tywin all have much better lines, IMO, than Tyrion. I actually find Tyrion's inner dialogue great, but his actual quotes to be very hit-or-miss and obnoxious(and understandably enraging to Tywin and Cersei)

I hate it whenever someone references that Neil Gaiman blog post, when that guy's thoroughly irrelevant as a writer and was obviously just trying to cash in on some awareness through GRRM. What an egoistic buffoon.

And it looks like the series really did pretty much die with ASOS. Please let TWOW actually come out and not suffer from the same pacing issues we've dealt with until now...

After reading all of these responses, I think Gaiman's spot on. I probably won't buy this book either, and I'm as anxious as anyone for the next ASOIAF book, but GRRM doesn't owe me anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived