Jon Snow the 3headed dragon and mythology.

If I had responded to this I would had another warning point

And this is why, I crush on JQC!

I have numerous friends and co workers that have read the series. A total of 11 readers. Not one of them, have picked up on R+L=J. It was only when I told them the theory, did the "holy shit" phrases start. It took the second reread for me, to see it. So I don't think it is unlikely, that the vast majority of readers have no clue.

And this is why, I crush on JQC!

I have numerous friends and co workers that have read the series. A total of 11 readers. Not one of them, have picked up on R+L=J. It was only when I told them the theory, did the "holy shit" phrases start. It took the second reread for me, to see it. So I don't think it is unlikely, that the vast majority of readers have no clue.

thank you :) From my friends and family only 1 had understand it alone and another one when she came to this site

yes this is what I think too

In the trailer, is Jon the only one who shouldn't be there. I mean LF is there, with Cersei, Jaime, Robert, and almost everyone in the KL storyline. Dany's there as well but she's actually trying to get to the Throne.

So is Jon the only one who doesn't fit?

In the trailer, is Jon the only one who shouldn't be there. I mean LF is there, with Cersei, Jaime, Robert, and almost everyone in the KL storyline. Dany's there as well but she's actually trying to get to the Throne.

So is Jon the only one who doesn't fit?

I think that the trailer was about the major players and Jon, even if that doesn't seem likely to some people, is a player

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be rude, but Jon (let alone legitimate) Targaryen is still nothing but a theory. The strongest one by far, nowhere near denying that, but still not in the books. Until it is, wouldn't it be correct to say "if", instead of "because this is the case"?

My faith in this theory is not exactly stable, thus anything justified by "it must be true since Lyanna and Rhaegar are his parents; so he has Ice and Fire in his blood, and must be the Song thereof" has something of a bitter taste.

However, even if it is true, would we need to use phrases like "embrace his destiny and birthright"? Seriously? His birthright? This doesn't only go for him, of course; Daenerys has no more of a right to the Iron Throne than he does, but I understand her thinking differently, because she is in a different situation from us. She has been taught this concept.

We haven't. In this case, we, hopefully a little less drilled into it than Daenerys, or Viserys, or even Rhaegar, are the ones thinking it, not Jon, who for all his faults, does not consider himself entitled to much, and (this is just me speculating) probably wouldn't if his parents turned out to be Rhaegar and Lyanna. He takes the Night's Watch seriously, perhaps not every individual, but the idea. It is solely the readers that consider him destined for the Iron Throne based solely on who his father may or may not have been. And for us, to think of "birthrights" is plain ridiculous. No offense to the poster, because I do agree with a lot of what you say, but seriously.

If he led the Watch to glory (I know it seems unlikely after what happened in A Dance With Dragons, but let's consider it), defeated the Others (who do not, in fact, die by fire, so something more than fire magic or dragons is required: an alliance with the Children) and decided to fight on his entire life to protect and shield those south of the Wall (which might yet include the Wildlings), wouldn't that be a cool enough story? I find that the conflict he would endure, being technically released from his vows, the temptation of, hypothetically, being an heir to the throne, and the ultimate decision to stay loyal to either Ned, or his vows, or even Lyanna's culture (which is the North, rather than King's Landing) by reclaiming the position of Lord Commander, is a far more interesting plot for him than just throwing it all away, waltzing into the Red Keep and starting to call himself Jon Targaryen.

By the way, why should that mean he can't be a dragon? Even the Dragon (although, in my opinion, the heads are actually seperate people and Dany, being their mother, isn't one of them, just as Rhaegar wasn't a head, but instead "merely" the parent)?

Azor Ahai (reborn) and the Prince That Was Promised may well be different people, since the conditions are so easily met by a number of people. Jon, in my opinion is a good candidate for the former, the Night's Watch playing the part of Lightbringer and the Wildlings, perhaps only Ygritte (which is entirely possible, but I don't favor the idea) representing Nissa-Nissa, while Aegon or Daenerys seem to contend for the latter. As for the Last Hero? I haven't the faintest idea.

In conclusion, I do agree Jon will be one of the prophecied heroes, play a huge part in defeating the Others, and have more to do with the dragons than, say, Sansa or Arya. More than most of the characters not close to Daenerys, really (except for Stannis, but again, that's subjective).

He will be a powerful and involved player of the Game as Lord Commander, far more so than many of his predecessors, owing to his defeat of the Others and leadership qualities.

I'm ambivalent about him being the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen and maintain he would hold on firmly to the Stark side, as well as Ned being his real father.

As far as I can see, he will never sit the Iron Throne or any equivalent, except for the very faint possibility of being the Lord of Winterfell as the only legitimate son as seen by the Old Gods. I don't believe he will truly acknowledge his Targaryen heritage, if it is indeed revealed to exist, nor will he feel much better with the knowledge.

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

I would agree with this. I too subscribe to the theory that the three heads of the dragon refers to one person with 3 identities/crowns and the dragon refers to a Targ. We've seen two instances already in the D&E novella where the dragon in the vision/prophecy turned out to be a Targ (Baelor Breakspear and Egg). Thus far I would say that either Jon or Dany are the most likely candidates.

I would agree with this. I too subscribe to the theory that the three heads of the dragon refers to one person with 3 identities/crowns and the dragon refers to a Targ. We've seen two instances already in the D&E novella where the dragon in the vision/prophecy turned out to be a Targ (Baelor Breakspear and Egg). Thus far I would say that either Jon or Dany are the most likely candidates.

I had forgotten about D&E. Thank you for reminding me :)

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

JonsQueenConsort,

I thought of this last week! I was so excited that I had thought ofa new theory but you thought it up months ago! But my theory was that Jon could be the three headed dragon all by himself because he will have three identities or three legal names in his lifetime :

Jon Snow- Name given by his adopted father Ned

Jon Stark- Name given by the King in the North in his last Will and testament ( and I'm the camp that believes Robb WAS the true King until his death. His edict was valid and binding.)

Jon Targaryen- Name to be revealed by Howland Reed when he informs Jon that Lyanna and Rhaegar were married

JonsQueenConsort,

I thought of this last week! I was so excited that I had thought ofa new theory but you thought it up months ago! But my theory was that Jon could be the three headed dragon all by himself because he will have three identities or three legal names in his lifetime :

Jon Snow- Name given by his adopted father Ned

Jon Stark- Name given by the King in the North in his last Will and testament ( and I'm the camp that believes Robb WAS the true King until his death. His edict was valid and binding.)

Jon Targaryen- Name to be revealed by Howland Reed when he informs Jon that Lyanna and Rhaegar were married

Great minds think alike :thumbsup:

I agree with you but imho he has more 3s in him.

Archived