[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

My friend's reactions to this past episode were pretty great...

When Gendry is taken by Stannis' men: "NOOOOooooOOOOooo" (she liked the actor on Skins and think Gendry and Arya are adorable together).

When Arya gets in Melisandre's face: "Good, she's totally going on Arya's list now. Wait, she doesn't know her name! Ask someone what her name was, Arya!"

After Tormund jokes with Jon Snow: "I like him. I like his beard. It would be funny if he's Ygritte's dad or something and is still on board with her getting with Jon Snow."

When Brienne used her fork to help Jaime cut his meat: "Awwwwwwww." (Sidenote: She watched the season trailers over and over and knows that Brienne is going to be forced to fight a bear...She's pretty sure Brienne is going to die and that Jaime will feel guilty when he hears). When Bolton agrees to return Jaime to King's Landing: "That's exactly what Robb was worried would happen!"

At the end of the Ramsay/Theon scene (her takeaway was that Ramsay told the truth about being a Karstark, but lied about ending the torture): "Oh my gosh, did Robb killing the tall guy turn this guy into the new Karstark lord?"

Loras' obsession with broaches, fancy weddings and fringe sleeves: "There's one living gay dude in the show and they make him a fashionista. Seriously?"

When the camera panned up from Loras and Sansa's "date" to Cersei and Tyrion: "Oh man, there are gonna be so many weddings! Excitiiiing!"

After Robb's meeting with the Freys: "So now Robb and his uncle are making Robb's cousin marry the girl Robb was supposed to marry? That's so unfair. I hope she's pretty. Uuuuggghh she's probably wearing one of those hats."

When Tyrion goes to Sansa's room to tell her about their engagement: "Oh man this is so awkward" (Then Tyrion says this is awkward) "HAHAHA!!"

Ros' death "Joffrey is the WORST! Who let him hang out alone with Littlefinger, didn't they know bad things would happen?!"

Jon and Ygritte's kiss at the top of the wall: "That's way too happy, now I'm nervous."

Non reader co-workers of mine dont get the Ramsay/Theon scenes, they also dont really get who the Bolton's are in general. I understand that, because they are a small house, mentioned maybe only 4 or 5 times, and Roose just looks too normal to be memorable. They dont even know the Bolton's are Robb's men. The whole Bolton business has been treated very very poorly, i think.

They should have just dressed Roose in black and pink, had Robb walk in on him during a leeching, and had third parties refer to him as "Lord Leech" Then everybody would frigging remember him. As it is, I've got people looking at him and going "What's Stannis doing there?"

What I like most about this thread is that pretty much everybody thinks Robb is safe and will be King or get revenge.

I don't think you have been paying attention to these threads. the majority of the unsullied suspect something is going to happen, the 3 people I watch the show with are predicting that he will be ambushed on the way to the wedding, or poisoned at the affair itself.

Anyone who has watched this series, regardless of their experience with the books, would not have to try very hard not to put together what is going to happen with very little critical thought. The way the Frey's were portrayed this week alone tipped the hand.

My friend watched only S1 and S2, he's one of those people who plans to watch S3 only when all the episodes are out. I often talk to him about GoT though, and when we talked recently he said he hopes Theon dies a slow, painful and embarrassing death. I was like "ARGH TRY NOT TO SPOIL RAWRRR". Seriously, after watching episode 6, i hope he is satisfied :D. Of course he also wants Robb to win the war, boy will he be disappointed :D

My dad thought the torture scene was funny.

My mum keeps asking why LF's voice is weird. She also keeps calling Gendry the true heir to the throne despite me telling her several times that bastards don't inherit.

Friend - "What was up with that girl with the baby out in the woods? Why was she talking like that? You know, 'SAM SUNG MUH UH SAH SAM SUNG MUH A SAH." (Imagine, if you will, speaking with your mouth hanging open with very poor articulation. This was my friend's impression.)

"Just tell me, are they going to mess with that girl that's with Jaime? Is she going to be okay? Because they need to stick together. She needs to be like his bodyguard. Is she going to die?"

Sister - "I HATE THAT GUY. Just tell me. Is Theon ever going to escape? Is he ever going to get out of there? Am I ever going to know who that guy is? I HATE THAT GUY." (My sister likes Theon and feels bad for him)

Sis - "Joffrey is just a sicko. He's just crazy."

Me - "Yeah but he's a wuss too which makes it so much worse."

Sis - "YEAH."

My boyfriend still asked me last night who is torturing Theon even though I tell him every week it is the bastard of bolton. He now remembers Roose though, he was so proud of himself saying "I know, that's the one that kills....." and I could see he was struggling between saying Robb or Jon again. Just when I think we are making progress.

no

He really likes Tormund though.

I have that exact conversation with my husband every week. We've gotten to the point where he knows who "roose bolton" is. we're working on remembering where harrenhall is. right now its "the big jacked up castle where arya was last season". baby steps.

I have that exact conversation with my husband every week. We've gotten to the point where he knows who "roose bolton" is. we're working on remembering where harrenhall is. right now its "the big jacked up castle where arya was last season". baby steps.

Pull out a map every time you watch the show. I did it when reading the books and it helped a lot hahah

I recommend this one

http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westeros_Maps/map_of_westeros.jpg

Unless you just mean that he has trouble remembering which one actually is Harrenhal

One thing I'm noticing is that the Melisandre darkness comments to Arya have taken a lot of people by surprise. Makes me forget that Arya has mostly been a plucky, witty, kid so far in the show. We're only just beginning to really see the huge amount of anger in her. It's going to be so shocking to people to see her shacking up with a group of assassins. That should be fun.

Ah, hell. I guess one of my friends accidentally spoiled herself on Un-Cat by looking up the Brotherhood Without Banners somehow. Her reaction, a resounding "... what? huh? what the hell?"

I asked her if she read how that happened, and she said no, but guessed that Cat valiantly gives her life to save Robb from an assassination attempt to parallel the part in S1 with Bran and the man with the knife.

Even spoiled, they're sweet summer children. :lol:

Only a couple noticed, and then they clued in the rest, but it's kind of nice that people are finally starting to piece together that flayed man banners + contraption just like the banners + actual flaying + horn-blowing = hey is Theon with that one guy's son???

you know i just think he might be

My girlfriend and one of my best friends are the only non-book readers that I know who are watching it.

Neither of them understand what is going on with Ramsay and Theon. My friend says Theon deserves everything he's getting (I was thinking, lets just wait and see if you still think that after its all over with.)

My girlfriend thinks that Tyrion marrying Sansa is one of the best things that can happen to her, because at least Tyrion will be nice to her and respect her. She says, "It could have been a lot worse for Sansa, she was almost married to Joffrey after all"

They both also are just now starting to come around with Jaime. Losing the hand is what did it for both of them, I think.

Pull out a map every time you watch the show. I did it when reading the books and it helped a lot hahah

I recommend this one

http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westeros_Maps/map_of_westeros.jpg

Unless you just mean that he has trouble remembering which one actually is Harrenhal

This is precisely what I decided to do: for two weeks now, we have been reviewing the huge Westeros map from the Atlas before each episode. It helps my non-reader husband learn the names and connect events... Next week, I'll point out the Dreadfort...

My unsullied husband is completely clueless as regards the Theon/boy situation. While viewing the episode, I stopped on the image of the huge X on which Theon is tied. Then we discussed what boy was doing (removing the skin). Soon after I stopped again on Jaime and Brienne with the Bolton sigil in the background. What is it you see in the back? The Bolton flag, he says. What does it show, I ask. A flayed man, he says....

Still, he didn't connect the two...

I know someone who figured out who Ramsay was, because there are pretty obvious facts that point toward it. Firstly, the X-shaped torture rack, which has only been introduced as an image the same time the X-shaped torture rack Bolton banner started to be thrown into every second shot, secondly the fact that Bolton has said that his "bastard" was the one who went to Winterfell but apparently got there too late though obviously show-watchers know he didn't because there were obviously Northmen there last season (and the wavering loyalty of House Bolton has become more obvious now with the Roose/Jaime scenes), and thirdly, a little thing, but they have mentioned the Bolton banner is a flayed man, and Ramsay has now started flaying poor Reek. It's pretty easy to put all these pieces together.

My mother worked out the identity of Boy, more or less. Didn't quite get it right in that she didn't know he's Roose's illegitimate son, but correctly deduced that he was related to someone in House Bolton from seeing the sigil and seeing Theon. It was her first full episode so she didn't link the trumpet. She was only able to link the X on the banner to the saint andrew's cross Theon was on, she didn't realise the man on the banner was flayed or she would have been 100% certain of her guess.

I didn't give her any hints other than telling her the identity of Theon's captor was a mystery on the show but that the mystery could be solved in that episode if you look very closely for clues.

I didn't tell her if she was right or wrong so she'll continue watching the show.

My Unsullied friend hasn’t seen this episode yet, but I’ve just talked to him about his thoughts on some characters:

Jaime and Brienne: He’s looking forward to the time those two get together, he’s totally shipping them: it was the first thing he pointed out. And he loved the bath scene.

Ygritte: He’s quite in love with her and liked the cave scene too; although he thought the actress’s physical appearance was disappointing.

Margaery: He thinks she’s the sexiest girl there is, and he said she’s quite intelligent and knows how to manipulate Joffrey, which makes him admire her even more.

The Queen of Thorns: He considers her pretty much the best character in the show and a potential great player in the game of thrones, and thinks she’s even better and wittier than Tyrion (whom he totally loves)

Robb: He doesn’t like him: he isn’t able to forgive him for the huge mistake of marrying Talisa, so he can’t see him as a good leader anymore. I told him it was just one mistake, but he said the magnitude of the mistake is what really counts (I guess from this that he’s expecting something like the RW, but we didn’t get to talk about predictions)

Daenerys: He doesn’t see her as a good leader either, because he doesn’t think she is clever enough; also, he thinks she’s too idealistic and “good-hearted” to be a conquerer and that that will cause her some trouble in the future.

We discussed the Others, and his comment was that they are so powerful and he doesn’t see how they could be defeated; also we discussed Jaime killing Aerys and he considered that what Jaime did, breaking his oath, was more moral than the obedience of other guards like Ser Barristan. I told him who “boy” was and he just said that Bolton was such a tertiary-level character or even less, and that nobody could realize that. In fact, I don’t think he knew who Bolton was; I just told him “one of Robb’s bannermen”.

Archived