[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

GRRM is far too professional to say anything too critical about the show.

The fact that he recently said in an interview that he wishes he could write "4 or 5" scripts a season suggests to me that he has little faith in the writing. YMMV.

GRRM has stated many times that he understands that changes need to be made. However, I've noticed that all the examples he comes up with are about changes that the vast majority of readers wouldn't complain about (e.g. dark hair instead of red), or changes that from a practical standpoint have to be made (e.g. scale down on battles). I wouldn't be surprised if he disapproves of some (or even many) of changes made to his story so far. I also have a feeling that instead of him openly complaining, his misgivings are somehow conveyed through other channels. This is purely speculative.

To stay on topic:

I received a text from a buddy watching the show: "Rooooooooos!! :("

Didn't really expect that one. The same guy has unfortunately lost interest in the show. He believes that the fantastical elements (magic) are playing too big a part at this point.

Another friend said that it was interesting to see the grown-ups negotiate (referring to Tywin and Olenna). He misses some of the action, but is still a big fan. He roots for the Starks, fortunately.

Me and my brother (nonreader) haven't seen the episode yet, but he sent me this text yesterday.

"GoT prediction: Jaime death revealed tonight but happened last week when he collapsed in the tub with Blondie. Realistically it would make sense since that random collapse doesn't seem like something where he'd survive and I don't get what the purpose would be in him collapsing if he doesn't die. And I could see him knowing he's about to die from hunger/fatigue/having been tortured, so he went to Blondie to tell his whole story to one person before dying, maybe in the hopes it'd get to the Starks.

Thematically, like I said I don't get why include him collapsing and then he suddenly lives? It's like how Ned Stark ~almost~ having been executed would just be weird. And like Ned, this feels like a good place for Jaime to die, I think he has done all he can do as a character, clearly that reveal is where he peaks. And having him die right after revealing all of that is a good "Nooo!" moment a la Snape.

Plus such a big deal was made out of "i need to get you back ALIVE by lady stark's orders" and whoops didn't happen. Makes another plot point."

He had a fever which was a result of the wound.

My boyfriend still asked me last night who is torturing Theon even though I tell him every week it is the bastard of bolton. He now remembers Roose though, he was so proud of himself saying "I know, that's the one that kills....." and I could see he was struggling between saying Robb or Jon again. Just when I think we are making progress.

He really likes Tormund though.

My friend is bored with Theon's torture scenes. She isn't very squeamish, but feels that they're starting to be too gross and pointless, ie. are only for the shock value. She has no idea who the bastard is. In fact, she doesn't even remember/recognize most of Robb's bannermen/northeners/etc. Most of them are just some bearded old men, too easy to mix up. If I want some comments about them, I always have to explain what this person did, where he was and so on.

She also thinks Littlefinger is ridiculously creepy with his demeanour and stage whisper, and doesn't understand why people don't run away from the sight of him.

This is from the AV Club newbies section, regarding Lysa and Littlefinger:

"He is so going to be sent flying by Cat Stark's crazy sister. Seriously, she correctly blames the Lannesters for killing her husband and now they expect she will just marry their underling. He is so dead."

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

"Ha ! This guy torturing Theon is such a troll ! Epic !"

"Wow ! Tywin is badass ! And Olenna rocks !"

"Cersei is so fucking mad : first idea she has when talking about the weddings is "Kill them both !"

"Poor Edmure !"

"Poor Sansa !"

"I wonder if Ygritte didnt seduce Jon just for her own final protection. Or does she really loves him ?"

"So, that what you were talking about when you said Tormund is a jolly fella ?"

"The Tyrell women really have the power in the family ! Cersei so hates Margaery !"

"The Freys are funny."

"Hehehe, Bolton father and son are so trolling !" (they've guessed who the guy torturing Theon is).

"Come on with the dragonglass, we know it will be of some us soon !"

I must say I'm very proud of my hubby he figured out who the boy was all by himself,no hints from my part or anything :D I asked him,did you see the banners behind Jaime and Brienne and figured it out and he was like,whaaa?when? He just remembered Roose said he'll send his son there and he connected the dots,so I guess it's not that confusing. When I asked why he thinks boy is torturing him he said cause he's crazy...

So further conversations with my Dad, who now has the funniest predictions.

He got one right. He figures that the strange knife Sam has will kill the "cold people".

His newest predictions are that none of the marriages will happen and there's no way the little guy is marrying Sansa and the mean Queen is not marrying the gay dude. (his words not mine) Still thinks Cersei will kill Tywin or do something to get out of it.

Also, Jaime is not called the Kingslayer for nothing. He's killing another king though he didn't say which one. I asked him to write these down so he can't go back on them.

The main thing that really caught my attention was one of them saying "I'm calling it now, Shae's totally going to kill Tywin for making Sansa and Tyrion get married."

inside i was a mix of

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

and

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Theon torture stuff is getting to my wife. She asked if it was necessary to keep showing it. My response wasn't encouraging because I don't really think it is.

She loved seasons 1 and 2, but I am starting to sense her slowly losing interest in the show. At one point she said something along the lines of "We are just watching people screw each other other. I don't see where this is going." It is frustrating for me because I don't want to spoil anything, yet at the same time a lot of the spoilers still don't resolve a lot of the issues.

I love this thread.

This week was by far the funniest conversation I had with my Unsullied friend.

He called LF a "stain on humanity" and is sure he's up to something.

He hopes Joff dies soon because he's a wuss and a freak.

He thinks Arya or Dany will sit on the Iron throne before too long.

He feels terribly for Sansa but thinks Tyrion is nice because he's pointed out how horrible his family has been to her.

He thinks Tywin is horrible but was amused at how miserable Cersei is.

Archived