[Book Spoilers!] Episode 7 Preview

Since Theon is appearing in this episode according to the preview, He will either not be in the season finale or he will sit two entire episodes out in a row or even both if he appears in episode 8. This is because he is set to only appear in one more episode.

Question is: which one will it be?

I wonder when will the "Robb makes Jon his heir" scene will take place...It's gonna be either this episode or the 8.

Edit: I'm betting Theon's last appearance for now is 7 and we see him again at the finale for the conclusion of his story this season.

Arya's probably going to get kidnapped by the Hound this episode. Bear and the Maiden Fair. Then they will forget them for episode 8. Then they will catch up on them again in second sons (Hound being the younger brother)

I'm thinking that Sam's WW scene will be this episode. I have a feeling/hunch that they were going to have it last episode, but thought it might go better with the theme "Bear and Maiden Fair" even though Sam is a really large crow and the Maiden, well, isn't. Nevertheless, since not NW are around, he must save Gilly and her babe from a WW. It would parallel the Jamie and Brienne scene well, I think.

Robb makes Jon his heir scene cannot happen until after Sansa is married to Tyrion.

Game of Throne =/= ASOIAF. Consider GoT "inspired by" but not 100% faithful to the book. Since Sansa already knows she is marrying Tyrion, the Martells Tyrells know too, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch that a bird would arrive "informing" the Robb/Cat about the pending nuptials. Or he could just do it to piss off his mum.

My contribution to captioning Drogon. :smug:

Americans will get this, don't know if other countries will.

http://img.photobuck...ep7WCAPTION.jpg

ETA: It's interesting, studying Drogon. His wings are now attached from the elbow to the wrist, rather than from the shoulder to the wrist like any other dragon we've ever seen. These CGI folks are seriously good!

Nice. Bust out laughing.

@Newstar, your "Recap of the recap" and analysis of the preview post is super useful for speculation/referential purposes. I've edited the OP to include it and the screencaps from the preview so it'll be easier to find, if that's okay with you.

They'd better not show Theon's castration. It would be extremely sexualized, presented from the male gaze, degrading to men, and would trigger memories of my own uncomfortable experience of being flayed and castrated.

/sarcasm.

and furthermore, character assassina-

The only thing I want is for Locke to scream "you thlew my bear!". Best line in the whole series. :thumbsup: :D

Agreed. But we unfortunately didnt get "thaphirth", so we probably wont get any nods to Vargo :(

For weeks now i was certain this would be the tyrion wedding, based on the title. Yes, i know it refers directly to the bear and maid Brienne, but i thought they would use it also to represent tyrion (bear, ugly and whatnot) and sansa (maiden fair).

Making a big deal about Dragonglass last episode makes me think Sam will do his thing this season. It's very important IMO as it explains how to fight the Others and makes Sam at least a bit useful. Furthermore, we haven't seen them all season- just one wight and some butchered horses. There is a risk missing out this encounter will diminish their threat in people's minds- though without having other brothers around him for the Other to kill, "puddles" may struggle to look bad-ass just walking up to Sam and getting reduced to water.

Still, I can see they have Sam on a very gentle arc from a coward running from the fist of the first men- getting braver ordering Gilly to run, providing comfort to her baby- and no doubt feeling the need to do something to protect Gilly and her son when threatened by an Other no matter how desperate and scared. They can still make him do it clumsily, looking all terrified and unthinking, perhaps from the floor so it doesn't seem like a personality transplant.

I'm hoping some of the mutinous Night's Watch, like the guy who calls Sam "piggy", catch up to Sam and Gilly, Enter White Walker who starts carving them all up, keeping them scary and awesome, then Sam at the last minute, stabs Puddles with the dragonglass.

As good as both actors are, my initial reaction to seeing Theon was "Ugh, not again". I almost have a hard time remembering an episode in S3 where he doesn't get tortured. It really strikes me as odd, because he gets so much screentime when there's still a lot of time to go, and imho, this overexposure ruins this storyline a bit - you should be horrified by the torture, but not annoyed by seeing it yet again.

As good as both actors are, my initial reaction to seeing Theon was "Ugh, not again". I almost have a hard time remembering an episode in S3 where he doesn't get tortured. It really strikes me as odd, because he gets so much screentime when there's still a lot of time to go, and imho, this overexposure ruins this storyline a bit - you should be horrified by the torture, but not annoyed by seeing it yet again.

More than anything, i think the purpose behind all the screen time is to accurately show Ramsay's nature, more than what happens to Theon. There's also a lot of story missing from ACOK that they're working in pretty well. IE: Ramsay knows that Bran and Rickon are still alive. Combine that with the transformation to Reek, i think the screen time is appropriate. IMO it deserves almost as much attention as the other major arcs.

Game of Throne =/= ASOIAF. Consider GoT "inspired by" but not 100% faithful to the book. Since Sansa already knows she is marrying Tyrion, the Martells Tyrells know too, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch that a bird would arrive "informing" the Robb/Cat about the pending nuptials. Or he could just do it to piss off his mum.

I like this idea. I think it is pretty likely that Robb will hear of the wedding before it actually happens. Unless they pretty much start the wedding at the end of this episode then at the beginning or middle of episode 8 have Robb make Jon his heir.

On second thought I think a bird (literally a bird) will arrive at the beginning of episode 9 at The Twins to inform the Frey's of the Tyrion-Sansa wedding and Robb will find out that way. Then make his decision shortly after that and before the RW.

2. Tywin: bitches out Joffrey (there is a scene in the Season 3 trailers with Tywin and Joffrey in the throne room and Tywin looming over a terrified-looking Joffrey, I'm betting this is that scene), and it's probably going to be awesome

I've looked at both trailers (that I know of) and haven't been able to spot the scene. Mind linking to it? Sounds really interesting

I've looked at both trailers (that I know of) and haven't been able to spot the scene. Mind linking to it? Sounds really interesting

Im also interested in seeing this. Hes already promised to tell him to do something that he doesnt want, but has yet to deliver.

Fuck Tony Danza, Tywin's the boss!

I'm excited for this episode since it's written by GRRM. His episodes from season 1 and 2 were my favorites from those seasons.

Nope, I believe that is a flaying knife...poor Theon!

Yeah my dad hunts a lot so I've see that kind of knife before. It's used for skinning animals. Like you said...poor poor Theon :(

This is always my favorite topic to browse through every week. Thanks to chareth cutestory for starting this thread, Newstar for efficiently summarizing and interpreting the promos, and everyone else who's posted so far for sharing their thoughts and predictions! Great stuff.

My thoughts on the upcoming episode are bit longer than usual (and that's saying something), but that's because the characters are more fragmented with respect to location.

Daenerys

Synopsis: “Daenerys exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside Yunkai”.

Promo: Jorah counsels Dany that about the relative risks versus merits of taking Yunaki. Dany meets with one of the Wise Masters (Grazdan mo Eraz?). Drogon roars from his perch in the tent.

Recap Video: Dany talks with the newly-elected Grey Worm.

Speculation: Dany sits down with one of the Wise Masters, and he offers her a large chest of gold to march away from Yunkai. She offers him three days to free his slaves.The interview with Bryan Cogman and several other sources have hinted at a scene where Dany finally reveals the names and personalities of her three dragons. Given the appearance of Drogon in the trailer (in a situation where he is not about to burn some fools to ash), that seems a good candidate for this episode. As for Dany making the Wise Master soil his tokar … we’ll see.

Though they’re not visible in the trailer alongside the slaver, there’s a chance – a small chance, but a chance – that the sellswords Prendahl na Ghezn and Daario Naharis may appear this week with the Stormcrows (definitely not Mero the Titan’s Bastard and the Second Sons – that will happen in Episode 8, as per the synopsis). I wouldn’t bet on it – my guess is that they introduce all of the sellsword companies at once next week - but I’ll throw it out there.

Jorah’s assessment seems very reminiscent of his discussion with Dany outside the walls of Meereen. Probably just coincidence. Given the title “The Bear and the Maiden Fair”, it would seem odd if this episode didn’t at least touch on Jorah’s feelings for Dany – especially if Daario does end up makes his first appearance. Is this the week he finally tries to kiss her?

King’s Landing:

Synopsis: “As Sansa frets about her prospects, Shae chafes at Tyrion’s new situation. Tywin counsels the king.”

Promo: Just a quick shot of Sansa looking unhappy.

Recap Video: Tyrion and Cersei watch Sansa and Loras and wonder which of the four of them is getting the worst of the deal. Tyrion goes to break the news of their engagement to Sansa.

Speculation: Shae’s jealousy will be running hot this week. I see her guilt-tripping Tyrion something fierce - the Pentos idea from last year’s finale will likely come back into play (‘If you had agreed to leave with me, none of this would have happened’). I just hope they keep it toned down to a reasonable volume. When Shae keeps her composure, I actually really enjoy her performance (much more so than the character in the novels). Whenever she gets screechy and indignant (“I’m Shae the funny whore!”), I wince.

I don't know who Sansa will interact with this week (Tyrion? Shae? Margaery? Olenna? Cersei?), but you can bet that she’ll be sad and bitter (justifiably). Alternatively, now that Ros is dead and the whole theory about her being Sansa’s aide is gone, could we see Dontos reappear?

I’ve whiffed on predicting the scene where Loras storms away from Margaery and Olenna at the dinner table in two straight episodes, but I’ll take one more crack at it here. He won’t be happy about having to marry Cersei, but no doubt Olenna will find a suitably witty way to tell him off. Look on the bright side, buddy. Cersei’s got a lot of beautiful dresses for you to critique, and I’d wager that she at least knows the difference between a broach and a pin. :rolleyes:

Given the episode 7 synopsis (‘Tywin counsels the king’), Joffrey will do something that pisses off Tywin (Given Tywin’s opinion of whores, it won’t be the brutal way he killed Ros). Maybe Margaery or Cersei leans on Joffrey to appoint Loras to the Kingsguard in truth, thus depriving Tywin of a valuable asset and giving him even more incentive to chastise his impetuous grandson? Maybe Joffrey provides another example of his strategic ineptitude? Or he just mouths off, and Twyin refuses to take it. Ultimately, all of this is secondary to the truly important question: will Tywin hit Joffrey in the face? And if he does, will the Internet self-combust in the wake of all of the GIF-making that shall ensue?

Littlefinger

Synopsis: Nothing

Promo: Nothing

Recap Video: Nothing

Speculation: The speculation of Littlefinger being in this episode is based on the fact that Katie Dickie (Lysa Arryn) and Lino Fancoli (Robin Arryn) appear on the IMDB page for this episode (we all know IMDB is infallible). Hey, if Littlefinger’s magical teleportation device can get him from the Stormlands to Harrenhal in one episode, getting from King’s Landing to the Eyrie in the same interval should be a piece of cake. I can’t say I’m exactly eager to watch Lysa getting all giggly when Littlefinger puts the moves on her, but as long as they don’t show her repulsive son suckling at her breast again :ack: , I will tolerate all of the “Petyr, oh Petyr …” that they want to throw at me.

Jaime and Brienne

Synopsis: “Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal.”

Promo: Locke taunting Jaime about Brienne. Brienne in the bear pit, bloody and looking terrified. Jaime leaping down into the pit to save her.

Recap Video: Roose permits Jaime to travel on to King’s Landing, but informs him Brienne will not be going with him.

Speculation: “A bear there was, a bear, a bear, all black and brown and covered in hair …” :D We all know what’s coming. The only question is what level of awesome it will be. I just know I will be punching the air in exhilaration if they keep two of my favorite lines of the third book.

“You want her? Go get her.” (So he did).

“You are still a maiden, I hope.”/“Yes.”/“Oh good. I only rescue maidens.”

Sadly, I do NOT think that we’ll get Jaime telling Brienne “I dreamed of you.” Bryan Cogman has noted that the writers have basically established a ‘No one has dreams but Bran’ policy (they bent it last year for Sansa when she bled, but that was more of a flashback). Plus, they’ve already established why Jaime would want to save Brienne without the dream sequence.

Jon and the Wildlings

Promo: Jon confronting Orell about cutting him loose on the Wall. Ygritte drawing her bow while Jon looks on.

Recap Video: Jon and Ygritte climb the wall, then stare out at the open expanse of Westeros beneath them.

Speculation: This episode will probably focus on Jon’s and Orell’s mutual loathing and distrust. If Orell is going to use his eagle to attack Jon, this seems as good of a time as any (We know it does happen eventually because of the trailers and the scars visible on Jon’s face in the New Character video). If they save the attack for later (say when Jon refuses to execute the prisioner), then this confrontation should be fairly brief, followed by Jon and Ygritte being loving and flirtatious toward one another. They’re not getting to Queenscrown this week.

Robb and Catelyn

Promo: Robb and Talisa staring lovingly at one another.

Recap Video: The Freys deliver their terms for the renewing of their alliance to Robb.

Speculation: This will be the last episode in Riverrun before Robb and his army leave for the Twins, so it’s the calm before the storm. Robb and Talisa will have the love scene that was glimpsed in the trailers, with Robb reaffirming how glad he is that he married Talisa, especially now that everything with the Freys has been smoothed over (Yeah, about that ... :bs: ). Edmure will mope about the possibly of his bride having blackened teeth and a mustache (neither of which she actually has, but that’s going to be the least of his problems).

Another possible element is the matter of Robb naming his heir. At some point before they reach the Twins (read: either in this episode or in the next), Robb and Catelyn need to have the discussion about Robb wanting to name Jon as his heir if anything should happen to him before he and Talisa can conceive (oh Robb, why are you so cautious? Everything’s going to be just fine :bs: ). In the books that happens after they learn that Sansa has been married to Tyrion, but since that wedding happens in Episode 8, it seems unlikely that they’ll get word of it before they reach the Twins (I suppose it could happen at the Twins just before the Red Wedding, but that might make things too dense). My guess is that it happens next week, on the road to the Twins, as kind of a preemptive strike.

Melisandre and Gendry

Synopsis: “Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry.”

Promo: Gendry wondering why Melisandre is so interested in him. “I’m just a bastard.”

Recap Video: Melisandre buys Gendry from the Brotherhood, tells him that he will “make kings rise and fall”.

Speculation: Melisandre will reveal Gendry’s royal parentage to him next week. Judging by the trailers, she’ll be revealing quite a bit else to him as well. Could Shadow-Baby be about to get a half-brother? (No, I don’t think that’s actually going to happen, but then again Melisandre doesn’t strike me as the type to use protection. Accidents do happen ;) ).

Stannis and Davos

Promo: Nothing.

Recap Video: Nothing.

Speculation: Stannis and Davos will be absent yet again this week. If they appear at all, it will be towards the very end after Melisandre returns to Dragonstone with Gendry. In all likelihood though, that will be next week (it’d stain credulity to have Melisandre make it all the way back to Dragonstone from the middle of the Riverlands in one episode. I doubt Littlefinger is in the habit of loaning out his teleportation device to Red Priestesses from Asshai).

Arya, the Hound, and the BWB

Promo: Beric asking Arya what god she believes in. Arya: “Death”. The Brotherhood clearing out of their cave in a hurry. Arya screaming “I hope the Lannisters kill you all!” Arya running through the woods, being grabbed by someone out of frame (the Hound).

Recap Video: See Melisandre and Gendry.

Speculation: The BWB continues to march toward Riverrun to ransom Arya back to her brother. Arya, now thoroughly distrustful of the brotherhood after what they did to Gendry, will attempt to run away. The image of the Brotherhood clearing out of the cave and Arya screaming about the Lannisters is interesting to me. Maybe the BWB come under attack by the Mountain this week, and Arya escapes in the chaos? Whatever happens, in the end, she gets taken by the Hound.

Theon

Promo: Theon cowering on the floor, as Ramsay approaches him with a knife.

Recap Video: Ramsay tells Theon that they’re going to play a game called “Which body part do you need the least?”

Speculation: Look at the recap video when Ramsay says those words. I could be wrong, but it seems to me like his eyes linger on Theon’s crotch when he says them. I think that Theon may be joining the ranks of the Unsullied this week.

Sam and Gilly

Synopsis: Nothing.

Promo: Nothing.

Recap Video: Nothing.

Speculation: This would seem to be the week for Sam the Slayer, as at one time Ian Whyte was listed on the IMDB guest cast as a White Walker for this episode (he’s not listed there now). But I find it odd that if we are getting Sam the Slayer this week, then we didn’t get ANY mention of Sam, Gilly, the White Walkers, or the dagger in either the promo or the Recap Video (as I noted last week, the chances that most of the non-readers are going to remember that Sam has the obsidian dagger are pretty slim, given everything else that’s happening).

My theory: we know that some scenes from Episode 8 were shifted forward into Episode 7, thus mandating a title change from ‘Chains’ to ‘The Bear and the Maiden Fair’. Given the new title, it’s likely that it was the Bear pit scene that was moved up. If so, then something likely had to be shifted back to Episode 8 to make room for it (the bear pit scene will be five minutes at minimum). My guess is that it’s Sam the Slayer. It would make next week’s episode Sam-heavy (no pun intended). Slaying the White Walker AND meeting Coldhands is a lot for one episode, but probably more streamlined for the story overall.

Bran and the Reeds

Synopsis: Nothing.

Promo: Nothing

Recap Video: Jojen experiences a seizure and has a vision of Jon Snow.

Speculation: We’ll get something involving Bran this week, but I have no idea what - only that it won’t be Queenscrown. Given that GRRM wrote this episode, could this be the episode for the Knight of the Laughing Tree story? I doubt any other writer would handle it better. If not, I expect that the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree may be saved for Season 4 during the trek North of the Wall, if they tell it at all. More likely it’ll just be more discussion of the Greensight and more of Meera and Osha sniping at each other.

Unknown Horsemen (this is kind of a throwaway)

Promo: A brief glimpse of some soldiers riding away, carrying a white flag.

Speculation: The white flag makes me think that it’s the Freys riding back to the Twins after their parley with Robb. But the landscape looks more like the North than the Riverlands, and the soldiers look similar to the ones Ramsay sent out after Theon. Could he have sent them to hunt down Bran and Rickon? Or hell, they could be Ironborn. Who the heck knows?

Archived