The Battle of Winterfell (Theory)?

AegonSnow

Everyone's trying to claim Winterfell.

Bolton with "Arya"

Stannis /Jon + Davos/Rickon

Baelish + Sansa

I'm expecting all of them will probably meet in Winterfell at the same time, which could be very exciting.

BIG BATTLE hopefully.

The Armies of Baratheon, Bolton and the Vale meeting in Combat.

The idea that LF would send the armies of the Vale is preposterous.

Littlefinger achieves his victories by cunning and politics, not by might.

After he has allied the Vale with Sansa, maybe. Before, definitely behind the scenes manipulation

After he has allied the Vale with Sansa, maybe. Before, definitely behind the scenes manipulation

LF wouldn't send an army to The North in Winter while the snows are falling and it's freezing, and risk losing The Vale's army. The main fight for Winterfell is between Stannis and Roose.

LF plans to do it through succession, not military might.

As for the current battle of Winterfell, going off the theory that Ramsay's letter is more BS than a field full of cows, (which I believe, but that's a topic for another time) then I imagine that a Stannis-victory battle would go along these lines:

Theon and "Arya" have made it to Stannis's lines already, and through Theon's instructions of how he took Winterfell last time, manage to slip in some more robust (read: Hill Clansmen) soldiers under the guise of some Bolton bannermen to meet with Whoresbane Umber, Wyman Manderly and other discontent Northern Lords to strike their banners inside of Winterfell itself. Stannis's Army arrives, and prepares to assault the walls when the Umbers and Manderlies betray the Boltons, and with luck, opens the gates for Stannis's men. The Northern Lords' lack of loyalty to the Boltons becomes their undoing. Plus, it'd be some potent symbolism for Stannis's men, their image of Robert had him running up to the gates and breaking it down with his hammer, while "killing Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right". Meanwhile, Stannis simply walks up to the gates, and they open for him.

Presuming it wasn't BS, the battle goes like this.

Stannis's army is starving, and whatever gambit he cooks up with Theon fails horribly, the army is crushed by the Northmen in Winterfell, who are comparably well-supplied and rested. Theon/"Arya" escape, but probably die of hypothermia along the way.

The idea that LF would send the armies of the Vale is preposterous.

Littlefinger achieves his victories by cunning and politics, not by might.

LF has a huge army now, he's almost convincing the lords from the Vale that he's suited to help Sweet Robin

And he has the Riverlands as well, but well, let's not count it, as the Riverlands are a mess at the moment

but he has a fresh army from the Vale, so I think he can use force if he needs

LF has no control over the Vale Armies. The Lords Declerant hold the millitary power, if they march on WF, it will be under Bronze Yohn, not LF.

The Vale's lords agreed to let him be Sweet Robin's protector for now, and LF is clever, he'll try to convince Bronze Yohn, I think maybe he'll reveal Alayne to be Sansa, so he can gain some favors

LF wouldn't send an army to The North in Winter while the snows are falling and it's freezing, and risk losing The Vale's army. The main fight for Winterfell is between Stannis and Roose.

Besides, Rickon will be revealed to be alive soon, and LF's plan to have the Valemen take WF in Sansa's name won't work when that happens since Rickon's claim comes before Sansa's. The Valemen wouldn't fight to usurp Rickon's rightful claim.

Jon already refused Stannis's offer to Lord of WF, and I doubt Jon will change his mind.

The battle will be between Stannis and Roose. I think Roose and Ramsay will be tricked into thinking Stannis is dead, and then head to the Wall to retrieve "Arya" and Reek, only to have Manderly open the gates to Stannis after the Boltons leave.

The Vale's lords agreed to let him be Sweet Robin's protector for now, and LF is clever, he'll try to convince Bronze Yohn, I think maybe he'll reveal Alayne to be Sansa, so he can gain some favors

I do not see how that'd work. It took quite a bit to get them to allow him to continue keeping Robert under his care and keep doing his regent thing over the Vale. To call the banners would require a different sort of authority. he'd be better off trying to do so to the River Lords, who are legally his vassals anyways.

I do not see how that'd work. It took quite a bit to get them to allow him to continue keeping Robert under his care and keep doing his regent thing over the Vale. To call the banners would require a different sort of authority. he'd be better off trying to do so to the River Lords, who are legally his vassals anyways.

Like convincing Sweet Robin to speak to the Lords, using Sansa as a tool to convince the little lord to help him

LF is at the top in this moment

Like convincing Sweet Robin to speak to the Lords, using Sansa as a tool to convince the little lord to help him

LF is at the top in this moment

Yes, because I'd rally my armies become an epileptic child who is just now being weaned off of his mother (at age 6-7 no less!) told me to fight for the claim of a girl we thought was dead. Sure, they might, but I doubt it'd be easy in any way, shape or form.

Edit: Yes, he's in the Vale, on top of a mountain. Takes too large of a step forward, back or to the side, and he's not getting back up. ;)

Jon already refused Stannis's offer to Lord of WF, and I doubt Jon will change his mind.

Maybe of Jon knows that Robb wanted him to be his heir, Jon will honour Robb's Will and be his heir.

Maybe of Jon knows that Robb wanted him to be his heir, Jon will honour Robb's Will and be his heir.

But he wouldn't break his vows to do it, especially not now, when he's the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and actually has a purpose up there now, to fight the Others. Sure, he might be legitimized, but he's still abandoned all inheritance by signing up. To abandon it would mean he'd have to be put to death.

Yes, because I'd rally my armies become an epileptic child who is just now being weaned off of his mother (at age 6-7 no less!) told me to fight for the claim of a girl we thought was dead. Sure, they might, but I doubt it'd be easy in any way, shape or form.

Edit: Yes, he's in the Vale, on top of a mountain. Takes too large of a step forward, back or to the side, and he's not getting back up. ;)

He's still Lord Arryn, even if he's a kid, he was ruling with his mother and almost got Tyrion killed without a trial

He's still Lord Arryn, even if he's a kid, he was ruling with his mother and almost got Tyrion killed without a trial

I'm just saying I can't see his word having as much authority in the Vale as Jon Arryn's was. Bronze Yohn Royce was calling for them to fight alongside Robert, why? Well, besides sympathy, they want to kneel before someone more worthy than an unweaned, epileptic young boy, who is only still in charge cause he's sitting on some real good castle real estate.

Man LF has already caused the Starks enough grief, I hope if he guns for Winterfell he dies a cold grisly death in his attempt.

Now onto a more realistic possibility, I think if Sansa gains the Vale army through Harry, I could see her using it to off LF once and for all. That would be sweet.

But aside from that, I think the Roose/Stannis stuff will be sorted out long before LF lays a claim for Winterfell. With either Jon or Rickon as lord (depending on whether TGN is true) LF will lose his bid for Winterfell and will probably lose Sansa as well. In addition to his cunning, Baelish has been incredibly lucky in this series, and I think (well I hope) that luck will change once he tries to mess with the north.

even if littlefinger wanted to waste the armies of the vale, and decided to go against his usual tactics of being sneaky rather than overt.

He'd be too late, stannis' and rooses armies are already getting ready to battle, and although it seems likely that stannis will win, I think it's gonna be very bloody and there'll be high casualty numbers on both sides. Most likely, he'll just take advantage of the situation while everyones weakened by the battle

^ C'mon, you haven't thought on LF's plans. I've told it before.

He's Lord Harrenhal and Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, but he hasn't got an army to make his claim good. And it's Riverrrun what he wants.

He has promised WF to Sansa, and he means to honour his promise.

The Vale is his strenght; he'll take his army from there.

He has bought almost everyone in the Vale, but Yohn Royce; he's too proud. But he has two living sons, if a lordship such as Harrenhal or the Twins is offered for his second son, he could forget his pride.

The true hinder for LF are the Freys. They hold Riverrrun, the Twins and Darry: they're too mighty.

IMO, LF will prompt a feud with Lady Darry, to occupy her little casttle. It would be fine if Lord Frey sends a host to recover Darry. After smashing this host on the field, both Riverrun and the Twins can only wait to be taken. The Lords of the Trident will be glad to have their revenge on the Freys, sure he will be grateful to LF, and join him.

Meanwhile, he has to make somethig, so that the Lannisters kill Lord Tully, perhaps killing Emmon dramatically.

When he has freed the northern lords in the Twins, he can take them as special guests in Sansa's wedding.

His only problem is to have the Vale, the North and Sansa at the same time, but it's a matter to think about it.

Eta: When all the fighting in the North is done, he'll come there to pick up the pieces, and seat Sansa in WF.

Littlefinger has an army now? Last I checked the only significant Vale lord that supported him was Lyn Corbray and that was under a guise. They Vale lords do not support him and will not mount any force behind him to march anywhere, least of all Winterfell.

Archived