Small questions v.10005

Angalin

How do you figure that?

You mean that they share more genes? Well, Dany shares more genes with Rhaegar than siblings usually share (bit difficult to say cause we don't know how varied Jaehaerys's gene pool was - he came from an incestous family, so he might have a lot of identical copies, which would make Rhaella and Aerys a lot more similar than siblings). Jon has half of Rhaegar's genes.

If you want an example calculation, just assume for simplicity that Aerys and Rhaella were normal siblings (they're actually more closely than that, but nevermind that). In that case, if we look at a particular gene of Aerys, it has a 50% chance to come from the same source than Rhaella's copy. So if we look at a gene of Dany, it has a 50% chance to come from the same parental source than one of Rhaegar's, and in the 50% chance that it doesn't come from the same parental source, it still comes from the same grandparental source because the copy Aerys passed on happened to have the same source as the one that Rhaella passed on. So for Dany and Rhaegar, we get 75%. From Rhaegar to Jon there's an easy 50%, so we get down to 37.5% for Dany and Jon. So:

Aerys & Rhaella: > 50%

Rhaegar & Dany: > 75%

Jon & Dany: > 37.5%

While normal aunt-nephew pairings only have 25%.

He's her nephew.

Due to the incest of Dany's parents (Jon's grandparents), they share more genes than aunt-nephew pairings usually do though.

This reminds me, I remember reading about one Habsburg king from 16th or 17th century who has only 6 great-great grandparents (most people have 16). Much like Targs, Habsurgs were quite fond of marrying their cousins.

You mean that they share more genes? Well, Dany shares more genes with Rhaegar than siblings usually share (bit difficult to say cause we don't know how varied Jaehaerys's gene pool was - he came from an incestous family, so he might have a lot of identical copies, which would make Rhaella and Aerys a lot more similar than siblings). Jon has half of Rhaegar's genes.

Well, they aren't that pure a Targaryens, really.

Daeron married Myriah of Dorne.

Maekar probably married a Velaryon.

Aegon married outside the family, and so did Jaeherys.

So Aerys and Rhaella were most likely the first incestuous couple since Aegon IV and Naerys.

But I still don't get what you mean.. I have a very limited understanding of genetics, but I think that Dany and Jon share the normal amount of genes. The only way that wouldn't be true is if she was also related to his mother.

Aegon married outside the family, and so did Jaeherys.

By the way, while that is possible, it's never been confirmed. "Marrying for love" can mean a lot of things, and there was lots of inter-Targ love to go around.

But I still don't get what you mean.. I have a very limited understanding of genetics, but I think that Dany and Jon share the normal amount of genes. The only way that wouldn't be true is if she was also related to his mother.

I'm sorry to have to say it, but no, they don't.

Just in case you hadn't seen it, I've edited my post above to include the calculations. Either read that, or do the calculation yourself, they're not difficult.

By the way, while that is possible, it's never been confirmed. "Marrying for love" can mean a lot of things, and there was lots of inter-Targ love to go around.

True, although I still think it's more possible that "marrying for love" means outside of the family - otherwise, why mention it? As a parallel to Aegon and Naerys?

I'm sorry to have to say it, but no, they don't.

Just in case you hadn't seen it, I've edited my post above to include the calculations. Either read that, or do the calculation yourself, they're not difficult.

Yes, I just saw the edit. Thanks! :)

Well, I still don't understand it, but I'll take you at your word. :D

True, although I still think it's more possible that "marrying for love" means outside of the family - otherwise, why mention it? As a parallel to Aegon and Naerys?

Sure, don't get me wrong, I do agree that it's more probable that the "marriage for love" took them outside of House Targaryen, unlike the host of inter-Targ love affairs from the older generation (Aemon & Naerys, Daemon, Aegon-Bloody-Shiera...). It was kind of an pedantic point of me: I just want to differentiate what we know (they married for love) from what we think is plausible (into other houses). Anyways, I hope we'll find out in one of the coming Dunk & Eggs :-)

Perhaps Jaehaerys married his female cousin, Daeron the Drunken's daughter? She was reportedly "dimwitted", so it could have been a reason why she would not have been seen as a good choice and noble houses with available brides would have felt slighted.

(I've never actually believed she had been skipped by the Great Council because of her intelligence; her gender is more likely, imo.)

What defines a spearwife, a saltwife and a rockwife, and how do they differ from regular wives?

A spearwife is a female wildling warrior. A saltwife is a concubine kept by an Ironborn. Rockwives are just regular wives for Ironborn.

I am asking this here, because I couldn't find another place. I must have missed the news about the GRRM"s next novella not being a Dunk & Egg story. Instead it will be focused on the Dance of the Dragons. How come and can we still expect a new Dunk & Egg story in the next 2 years or so?

Archived