[Book spoilers] Why hasn't the horn of joramun been mentioned on the show so far?

When Jon and Ygritte climb the wall, their conversation on the show is very different from the one in the books. In the book, she cires, overhelmed by the monstrosity that is the wall. She also regrets the fact that they never found the horn the joramun which would have brought down the wall which is going to get them killed once winter sets in.

So the books readers already aware of the horn and its possible power. There is mention of that in the series.

That could mean two things

1) Horn isn't significant in the end and may get skipped completely on the show. But Sam did find "a horn" (no one know if it is "the horn") on the fist of the first men. So not sure.

2) Rayder or Ygritte or someone else beyond the wall will proclaim in the last episode that Mance has a horn which has the power to the bring down the wall. This can be a cliffhanger for the non-readers which be resolved next season with the exposition that Mance never found the horn and it is still out there.

I hope it is the latter.

My first guess:

They don't like too many indoor talking scenes (away from King's Landing where these are part of the "plotting" that belongs there). In Iceland, they can't shoot too much due to daylight and the cold, so these scenes are all shortened heavily (which really is bad for the characterization of the Wildlings and Jon's storylines). It also feels a bit unbelievable. So they simply had no opportunity to bring it up in the show.

Story-arc related, I would say that your number two is hitting close to the mark of where they want to go. However, the horn isn't necessary for the story of season 4, so they can leave it out if they want to. In any case though, it makes the most sense to bring it up when it becomes relevant, i.e. next season. The plan so far (which they also haven't told us) is to open the gate at Castle Black and overwhelm the garrison. So yes, I am hoping that we will get more meat now that they can shoot in Northern Ireland (see btw. how the scenes at the bottom of the wall were longer and with more characterization than the ones from the season premiere).

I really don't see any need for them to have mentioned it.

In the books it hasn't served much purpose, except as another mythical element in the background. Will just confuse the audiences more to bring it in, if it's important to the overall story down the line they can always introduce it later.

Plus I think they'd rather keep it down to one overt magical element per season. With shadow babies in season 2 and resurrection in season 3, introducing a horn that can supposedly break down the wall might be pushing it for the general audience (though of course we don't know if the horn can even do that in the books)

I really don't see any need for them to have mentioned it.

In the books it hasn't served much purpose, except as another mythical element in the background. Will just confuse the audiences more to bring it in, if it's important to the overall story down the line they can always introduce it later.

Plus I think they'd rather keep it down to one overt magical element per season. With shadow babies in season 2 and resurrection in season 3, introducing a horn that can supposedly break down the wall might be pushing it for the general audience (though of course we don't know if the horn can even do that in the books)

I think it fairly obvious that unless it's a massive red herring the horn will become very important in the last couple of books. But I agree that it wouldn't be good to overload things with magic in one season. They can hold off referencing the Horn until S4.

My guess would be that they will present it as a bagaining tool when Jon treats with mance. Something like "you let us through or the whole damn thing comes down".

It probably hasnt been brought up yet, because they wanted to concentrate on the new characters.

And that is the deffinition of off-topic, but do we KNOW that she hasnt named them? Granted i dont recall her saying them, but that could be simplify. Im sure it will come, if it hasnt already and i missed it

People barely can identify "boy" because roose bolton mentioned him offhand last season. There's no way they would introduce it now when it won't be relevant for at least four more seasons. If it comes out at all, it will be during the same season where it actually has a significant effect on the story.

We will definitely see more of Mance next season, given that the show just won't hire Ciaran Hinds for nothing. My bet is, that in season 4, when Jon is sent to Mance's tent to kill him, Mance reveals that he's found a mythical horn that has the power to bring down the Wall. This places the threat of the Wall coming down, and puts Jon and the realm in great jeopardy, which would create a lot of tension for viewers. However, Mance's decision to blow the horn is thwarted by the sight of Stannis' army, and is captured before he can blow the horn.

I do agree with protar that the Horn will probably have a part to play in the last two books, so it's probably not a good idea to exclude it from the show. Besides, they have more time for things like the Horn of Joramun next season, given that they have less to adapt for season 4 than they do for season 3.

While all those points are very true, I feel like the show is kinda missing the whole athmosphere of threat North of the Wall, f.e. I get the impression that many viewers don't know that the White Walkers are constantly attacking Mance's army and that it's a race against the clock for him to get past the wall. So the show does fail a bit there, especially since there was no battle on the fist or rather, nobody of name dies (and we thus don't know how large the group escaping to Crasters was in relation to the whole army). But well...

While all those points are very true, I feel like the show is kinda missing the whole athmosphere of threat North of the Wall, f.e. I get the impression that many viewers don't know that the White Walkers are constantly attacking Mance's army and that it's a race against the clock for him to get past the wall. So the show does fail a bit there, especially since there was no battle on the fist or rather, nobody of name dies (and we thus don't know how large the group escaping to Crasters was in relation to the whole army). But well...

Agreed. To non-readers, Mance might come off as a cocky, stern king of wildlings given the aura around Hinds. They may not realize the Mance is in desparate situation. It is more like "we need to go down south RIGHT NOW!!".

Do you know, I'd completely forgotten about the horn until I read this thread. I guess it didn't make much of an impression with me when I was reading. Now, on the other hand, I was wondering why no one had found a hoard of dragon glass yet, then Sam whips his "buried treasure" out. My guess is, like others have said, that the horn will be brought up nearer the time when it's more applicable to the story. There's so much going on right now that any mention of it is likely yo go over viewer's heads unless the danger of it is really ramped up.

Archived