[Book spoilers]: GoT producer expects at least 7 seasons

Werthead

I think that was an early estimate that is most likely to change. Since it's farly certain that most of FfC and DwD will bein Season 5, are they really going to have three whole seasons to wrap it all up? It is possible that WoW and DoS will be chock full of big events, but enough to stretch out over three seasons without the books as a guideline? Unlikely.

IIRC correctly that was quite a recent comment.

But, anyway, this is my most optimistic prediction:

April - June 2014 - Season 4 (The rest of a ASOS and some elements from AFFC and ADWD)

Early 2015 - Release of TWOW

April - June 2015 - Season 5 (AFFC and ADWD)

April - June 2016 - Season 6 (Some minor elements from ADWD and half of TWOW)

April - June 2017 - Season 7 (The other half of TWOW)

Early 2018 - Release of ADOS

October - December 2018 - Season 8 (A special final season with 12 to 15 episodes, with all the elements from ADOS)

LOL! You and GRRM smokin' the same hasheesh?

The bit about the final season being later in 2018 and extra long sounds very implausible. The estimated release dates are reasonable, though. Early 2015 is a safe bet for TWOW (though I might tend towards summer 2015), and sometime in 2018 is very possible for ADOS. If you want to really stretch it, you might guess Fall 2014 for TWOW and Winter 2017 for ADOS. Now *that* sounds like a bit more of a pipe dream.

The bit about the final season being later in 2018 and extra long sounds very implausible. The estimated release dates are reasonable, though. Early 2015 is a safe bet for TWOW (though I might tend towards summer 2015), and sometime in 2018 is very possible for ADOS. If you want to really stretch it, you might guess Fall 2014 for TWOW and Winter 2017 for ADOS. Now *that* sounds like a bit more of a pipe dream.

I think 2015 and 2018 are good estimates. Regarding that last season, you're probably right lol

re: Jaqen and the FM, I would love it if Tom Wlaschiha's Jaqen mentored Arya in Braavos, while a different Faceless Man character takes Jaqen's role in Oldtown. I say this not just because it gives Arya's adventures a familiar tie to the past, but it lets them bring Wlaschiha back, he played the mysterious character very well, and had great chemistry with Williams. They wouldn't be able to bring him back for the Oldtown plot, as that requires him taking the "Pate" persona, so we need a new actor. There's no reason though why he can't be in his "Jaqen" guise while tutoring Arya in Braavos.

But, anyway, this is my most optimistic prediction:

April - June 2014 - Season 4 (The rest of a ASOS and some elements from AFFC and ADWD)

Early 2015 - Release of TWOW

April - June 2015 - Season 5 (AFFC and ADWD)

April - June 2016 - Season 6 (Some minor elements from ADWD and half of TWOW)

April - June 2017 - Season 7 (The other half of TWOW)

Early 2018 - Release of ADOS

October - December 2018 - Season 8 (A special final season with 12 to 15 episodes, with all the elements from ADOS)

Ok, Winds of Winter in 2015 is possible, but DoS in 2018? NOPE NOT HAPPENING.

In truth, our predictions are all pointless. The number of seasons depends on too many things.

Yes, but I guess in the absence of an *actual book* to read, we need to speculate! :)

GRRM has mentioned that his characters are starting to converge again from this point on. I'm guessing the next book sees most or all of them heading back to Westeros, or at least with the idea of going, and the last book is the battle with the Others that desperately needs to happen! So maybe 8 seasons is reasonable to tell the whole story...

There are a lot of things that need to happen in the next two books: there aren't really any characters who are in a happy place at the end of book 5, except maybe Arya. Maybe Brienne. Littlefinger, I suppose. And Mel is alive and well. The rest of 'em are screwed. Royally. GRRM needs to tie all that up!!!

Ok, Winds of Winter in 2015 is possible, but DoS in 2018? NOPE NOT HAPPENING.

Why is Winds in four years possible, but Dream in three not? With pressure from the show, and the option to cut back the press tour for Winds, GRRM must have something like that in his head.

Why is Winds in four years possible, but Dream in three not? With pressure from the show, and the option to cut back the press tour for Winds, GRRM must have something like that in his head.

From comments he's made, it seems like GRRM thinks the show will either wait for him, take 2+ years for books 4 & 5, go on hiatus, or do a prequel show while waiting.

He knows they're catching up, but he hasn't yet realized how quickly!

I think that was an early estimate that is most likely to change. Since it's farly certain that most of FfC and DwD will bein Season 5, are they really going to have three whole seasons to wrap it all up? It is possible that WoW and DoS will be chock full of big events, but enough to stretch out over three seasons without the books as a guideline? Unlikely.

Well I'm guessing the TWOW will be out before season 5. That will be another 1500 pages. Never the less I think 7 seasons could do it. I certainly don't want them to stretch material out.

7 or 8 season will do it if the show last that long. I guess we'll have to wait to see how packed full of big events TWOW is.

Well I'm guessing the TWOW will be out before season 5. That will be another 1500 pages. Never the less I think 7 seasons could do it. I certainly don't want them to stretch material out.

I really don't think it's possible. He's only about a quarter done, is he really going to be finished in a year and a half at his pace? And that's not even including all the editing time needed. He will certainly have enough material to show D&D at that point though, which should help them in constructing Season 5 and onwards.

Oh God what if TWOW is as uneventful as ADWD

Not possible. Especially since GRRM has promised more Others stuff, and the Land of Always Winter. That's what many of us have been waiting to see for a very long time. I'd also estimate half a dozen POV character deaths, minimum (given how many he's built up).

Oh God what if TWOW is as uneventful as ADWD

This simply isn't possible, since we already have at least 2 battler coming (Meeren, Winterfell), a trial by combat with Cersei and Robert Strong, Jaime & Brienne awesomness, Young Griff attacking Westeros and taking a certain castle, Areo Hotah (yay) and Balon Swann going for Darkstar etc. - and this is just the obvious stuff that everything has been building up to, not the crazy stuff that is bound to happen unexpectedly during the course of the novel.

While I thought Book 4 and 5 were great in their own way, I think TWOW is definitely going to satisfy a larger portion of the fandom

It would be pretty terrible, but theoretically possible, I suppose.

He's left a number of characters in situations that demand "action" and/or excitement if we get POVs in their area. Tyrion/Barriston/Jorah/Victorian and the battle in Mereen. Stannis/Theon/Asha and the battle against Ramsay. Cersei/Margaery/Robert Strong and the trial. Arianne/Aegon/Cottington invading Westeros. Jaime/Brienne/Stoneheart...

With that said, he could throw a curveball, like he did when AFFC came out. He could leave those POV's listed above mostly untouched. He could show more political maneuverings of Littlefinger in the Vale through Sansa. Have more Arya FM training. A drawn out Jon Snow as Ghost. A drawn out sequence of Dany traveling with Dothraki just getting back to Mereen. He could have Sam forging links in the Citadel. Bran learning his skills. The Damphair rangling up opposition to Euron. He could still have a pretty long book at not have some of these clearly coming events actually take place yet.

I don't expect it, but it's possible. He might decide it's too much for one book to have all of these big events take place.

The first three books had a faster pace not just because they had more action, but because the chapters were shorter and the plot moved faster: characters were able to travel from one place to another without having to read about it. The narrative was "short and tight".

Books 4 and 5 have longer chapters which contain less plot development and more descriptions of places. Sam needs 5 chapters (one book) to travel to Oldtown (I'm sure 3 would've been enough in the first book).

Archived