Stannis' recruitment plans

bel

Faceless men are expensive in different ways. You have to give up something dear to you, so the cost does not usually have to be in money. Say Robb went to the Faceless Men to arrange a killing for Theon. His price might be in gold, or it might be Grey Wind as that is worth a big sacrifice to Robb himself. For Stannis to get 50 Faceless Men, he would either have to get enough gold to make the Lannisters look like beggars, or sell his soul to the devil. Mercenaries are cheap. Faceless Men re not.

Faceless men are expensive in different ways. You have to give up something dear to you, so the cost does not usually have to be in money. Say Robb went to the Faceless Men to arrange a killing for Theon. His price might be in gold, or it might be Grey Wind as that is worth a big sacrifice to Robb himself. For Stannis to get 50 Faceless Men, he would either have to get enough gold to make the Lannisters look like beggars, or sell his soul to the devil. Mercenaries are cheap. Faceless Men re not.

Yea, a Faceless man likely goes for 1,000,000 golden dragons at least. The more important the person, the higher the price. It is speculated that Euron used a dragon egg to purchase his brother's (Balon) life.

Yea, a Faceless man likely goes for 1,000,000 golden dragons at least. The more important the person, the higher the price. It is speculated that Euron used a dragon egg to purchase his brother's (Balon) life.

You know, I suspect the Bravoosi bankers are very, very angry with Tommen Lancaster right now...

Mmm. Don't see how that would fit into the story unless the Braavosi use it as a bargaining tool for Dany.

Mmm. Don't see how that would fit into the story unless the Braavosi use it as a bargaining tool for Dany.

Remember, fossilized dragon eggs are worth an absolute fortune. Jorah told Dany that if she sold one, she would have enough money to buy a ship to take her back to Westeros. If she sold all three, she could have lived as a wealthy woman for the rest of her days.

My point is the worth of the dragon eggs. Dragonstone is rumored to have a hidden cache filled with them.

Remember, fossilized dragon eggs are worth an absolute fortune. Jorah told Dany that if she sold one, she would have enough money to buy a ship to take her back to Westeros. If she sold all three, she could have lived as a wealthy woman for the rest of her days.

My point is the worth of the dragon eggs. Dragonstone is rumored to have a hidden cache filled with them.

Dragon eggs don't sound like the kind of trophy Braavosi would want. It also doesn't too precious to Euron. Guess it's probably gonna be another thread to make your own guess.

Dragon eggs don't sound like the kind of trophy Braavosi would want. It also doesn't too precious to Euron. Guess it's probably gonna be another thread to make your own guess.

Just telling you whats in the book. Dragon eggs are rare and valuable in Essos. Take it or leave it. The Faceless men don't have to keep the eggs, they can turn around and sell it for a fortune.

Wouldn't the Iron Bank representative tell him pretty quickly if there weren't 20k mercs to be bought?

I am sure they know the plan if they are going to be paying for it all...

The banks goals are repayment of the outstanding debts and the fall of the Lannister/Tyrell alliance as another example of those who do not pay. It does not matter to them how this is achieved. One usurper is as good as another.

The more important the target, the higher the price. The more important the customer, the higher the price. Don't they ask for half the worldly possessions of the person who contracts them?

In the case of Euron and Balon, I doubt that a dragon egg would have been payment enough. Unless the FM were desperately looking for dragon eggs.

It is speculated that this could be the reason Jaqen Hagar is in Oldtown looking for the blood soaked runes.

The more important the target, the higher the price. The more important the customer, the higher the price. Don't they ask for half the worldly possessions of the person who contracts them?

In the case of Euron and Balon, I doubt that a dragon egg would have been payment enough. Unless the FM were desperately looking for dragon eggs.

If Eurons deepest burning desire is to be king of Westeros, and considering the fact that he had a Dragon Horn, that Dragon egg is worth more to Euron than it is to other people. And saying he just threw it into the sea is a pretty stupid story+ Balons death... It seems to at least fit together if not be proven.

It is speculated that this could be the reason Jaqen Hagar is in Oldtown looking for the blood soaked runes.

If Eurons deepest burning desire is to be king of Westeros, and considering the fact that he had a Dragon Horn, that Dragon egg is worth more to Euron than it is to other people. And saying he just threw it into the sea is a pretty stupid story+ Balons death... It seems to at least fit together if not be proven.

What are the blood soaked runes? This is the first I've heard of it.

Doesn't the Kindly Man tell Arya --sorry, No One-- that they charge people based on what they can afford to give? So a pauper might be able to hire one for next-to-nothing, but a lord would have to give much, much more...

So, basically, they decide what to charge to whom, and when it's in their interests. So, if the Iron Bank asks them to help Stannis out, might they not do so at their discretion?

Pure speculation... obviously.

Doesn't the Kindly Man tell Arya --sorry, No One-- that they charge people based on what they can afford to give? So a pauper might be able to hire one for next-to-nothing, but a lord would have to give much, much more...

So, basically, they decide what to charge to whom, and when it's in their interests. So, if the Iron Bank asks them to help Stannis out, might they not do so at their discretion?

Pure speculation... obviously.

A pauper would not have to pay in gold, but he would have to give something of equal value. Say a father with a son wanted to get the gift to a soldier who killed his wife or something. The man would be forced to give up his own life or give his son to the house of black and white as it is a large value to the person asking for the gift. Stannis can buy Faceless Men with a massive gold price, or he could give up equally precious items. 5 Faceless Men are the absolute most he could possibly buy, and that is only if the Iron Bank works in coalition with the Faceless Men. Still, Stannis is not stupid, mercenaries are worth more than Faceless Men at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple arithmetic tells you that if one dragon egg buys you a ship that three dragon eggs buy you three ships. Enough to live well. Too less to be a real fortune.

Simple arithmetic tells you that if one dragon egg buys you a ship that three dragon eggs buy you three ships. Enough to live well. Too less to be a real fortune.

Ser Jorah likely meant it could buy her a huge ship or a small ship and additional luxuries I don't think the simple arithmetic/logic you are employing means very much in the world of a song of ice and fire. I tend to trust Ser Jorah and GRRM (who put the words in his mouth) in that fossilized dragon eggs are worth fortunes. If Ser Jorah/GRRM says that selling three dragon eggs will allow Dany to live out the rest of hers days in wealth and comfort, than I think that it is so.

Ser Jorah likely meant it could buy her a huge ship or a small ship and additional luxuries I don't think the simple arithmetic/logic you are employing means very much in the world of a song of ice and fire. I tend to trust Ser Jorah and GRRM (who put the words in his mouth) in that fossilized dragon eggs are worth fortunes. If Ser Jorah/GRRM says that selling three dragon eggs will allow Dany to live out the rest of hers days in wealth and comfort, than I think that it is so.

Define fortune. keep in mind that Dany didn't find them. They have been a gift. If they were so valuable as you seem to think she hadn't received this gift.

Archived