How I Met Your Mother - 4

Jaxom 1974

DP,

As to the dead mom hypothesis I'm odd in that I like bittersweet endings. They seem more true to life to me that pure happy endings. Finding someone you genuinely love means that eventually, one of you, is more than likely going to have to suffer through the death of the other. Those are the cards we're dealt and we all have to play them. Happiness without pain is unrecognizable. You need one to understand and appriciate the other.

"Sir Teddy Mcslowsby". I like it. :)

DP,

As to the dead mom hypothesis I'm odd in that I like bittersweet endings. They seem more true to life to me that pure happy endings. Finding someone you genuinely love means that eventually, one of you, is more than likely going to have to suffer through the death of the other. Those are the cards we're dealt and we all have to play them. Happiness without pain is unrecognizable. You need one to understand and appriciate the other.

That's beautiful SSAE but I don't think this is that kind of show :dunno: this one is going for the sweet sweet ending imho.

I think there would be a riot, or at least a sternly worded internet forum posting, if the show suddenly changed tone and went morose. Eight years of build up is NOT building to that.

I'm thinking of the crappy endings to Lost and BSG; crappy though they were, they didn't change tones. I can't think of any show that has.

KM, SC,

Marshall's dad dieing was happy go lucky? Marshall and Lilly breaking up as Ted hooked up with Robin? There's plenty of room for happy and funny even if the Mother has passed. The point would be that she and Ted loved each other and their kids for as long as they were together.

SC,

No, it wasn't but himym has never shyed away from heartache. It has built upon it in very interesting ways. I think we've been given hints about the mother's "current" stauts all along. Ted's stoned and random "Where's my wife" that remains unexplained in a flashforward from early in the show. I think the bittersweet ending has been hinted at all along and it makes Ted's love for the mother all the more poingant if their time together is more limited than they expected.

The core of the show isn't heartache though. Ted stoned not knowing where is his wife is consistent with Ted being stoned. Also, first episode, the son asks "Are we in trouble?" before sitting down to hear Bob Saget tell them a story. Not "are you okay?" or "Why are you so chipper when Mom is dead?? Dad I hate you!!!"

And there is heartache in every single romance story; most of them don't end that way though.

What is Marshall's story, and how is it relevant to Ted's? Marshall's father's death didn't happen in episode one season one, or continue throughout eight seasons. It's one event among thousands, and it happened randomly, because the show is about the random events in people lives that add up and shape it and give meaning, patterns, and seem like destiny. Ted could have met the mother a number of times. Ted likes to believe in destiny. Is it randomness or destiny that he meets the mother? That's the story and it's told in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. Your theory is not.

SC,

Yes, and part of the reason why Ted has felt the need to tell this story to his kids is because he's dealing with the grief of losing her. I do not believe showing them having a loving marriage and then Ted and his friends dealing with losing her would cheapen the show at all. As they dealt well with Marshall's father's death and Marshall's anger, bitterness, and ultimate acceptance of his loss so the same would be true of dealing with Ted's love and grief.

Ser S see what you're saying but it's just not it. It would be as if you'd predict at the end of Two Towers it's gonna end with Frodo dying to save them all. yeah it was believable but it just wasn't that kind of story/book/ending the whole series was striving to.

KM,

I do see where y'all are coming from but I disagree. This has never been about storybook endings. It's about Ted learning that life, and all that is good in it, is not merely a story. It's a process.

See how you said "life and all that's good in it"and not life and death of the loved one.

Archived