How I Met Your Mother - 4

Jaxom 1974

SC,

No, it wasn't but himym has never shyed away from heartache. It has built upon it in very interesting ways. I think we've been given hints about the mother's "current" stauts all along. Ted's stoned and random "Where's my wife" that remains unexplained in a flashforward from early in the show. I think the bittersweet ending has been hinted at all along and it makes Ted's love for the mother all the more poingant if their time together is more limited than they expected.

When did GRRM start writting for HIMYM?

SC,

Let me try a different tack. Would Marshall's story have been better if his father had not died?

While Marshall's dad was great (better then he was on Coach IMO) I agree that some of the best ep's of the of the last few years had to do w/ his death, and Marshall and family dealing with it. The ep he died in, the funeral, Marshall moving back home, HIs mom wanting him to leave, yet unable to tell him, Marshall and his brothers all trying to have a cook-out at his grave/ Marshall realizing that he is far more like his father then he knew, and of course Marvin waitforit Ericson (Hurricane Ericson is a great name).

I think the theory would work, except that they are doing a spin-off show about the mother, which I don't see how that could work, if she is already dead.

When did GRRM start writting for HIMYM?

While Marshall's dad was great (better then he was on Coach IMO) I agree that some of the best ep's of the of the last few years had to do w/ his death, and Marshall and family dealing with it. The ep he died in, the funeral, Marshall moving back home, HIs mom wanting him to leave, yet unable to tell him, Marshall and his brothers all trying to have a cook-out at his grave/ Marshall realizing that he is far more like his father then he knew, and of course Marvin waitforit Ericson (Hurricane Ericson is a great name).

I think the theory would work, except that they are doing a spin-off show about the mother, which I don't see how that could work, if she is already dead.

Well if the spin-off we're going to be about the mother, presumably it would occur before she met Ted (i.e alive), so her being dead after this show ends doesn't matter.

As for the locket, since I'm still convinced that this show is ultimately about Ted and Robin, I suspect that it will reappear once Ted makes his one final grand gesture in winning over Robin. This talk about the Mother dying at the end of the show fits this premise, particularly because it makes Ted less of a heel if he ended up leaving the mother for Robin, or whatever the alternative is.

I think it would be incredibly brave and moving way to end the series if it happened in the manner of Ser Scot's suggestion. I know the series has made some brave movies before, Marshall's Dad, Robin not being able to have children, now James' divorce. I just don't know if the show is brave enough for the ultimate move: ending the show post the mom's passing away.

Though, like I said, I'm more inclined to believe there's a chance for this than I was before. Scot's argument has made me feel the appropriateness of it. But it depends on the commitment of the writers, producers, plus CBS may have some say in it.

Drawkabi,

I also feel like they are trying to prepare the audience. The cross seen with Twd at the table and then Ted with the mother a year later wasn't played for yuks. It had some gravity to it. Dare I say it was almost somber. Now that could be because when Ted said "next year" he ment Robin and himself not the Mother. However, there is an alternate explanation.

Drawkabi,

I also feel like they are trying to prepare the audience. The cross seen with Twd at the table and then Ted with the mother a year later wasn't played for yuks. It had some gravity to it. Dare I say it was almost somber. Now that could be because when Ted said "next year" he ment Robin and himself not the Mother. However, there is an alternate explanation.

All your points make sense and I have to admit, ending the show in that way would be incredibly bittersweet and poignant, it would be a superb ending.

The only thing that gives me reservations on if this is how they will end it is are the writers/producers/network brave enough to do it. Yes there was Marshall's dad, but that was not the end note of the series. It's just not something expected of a network sitcom, granted HIMYM tries to do the unexpected and tell their stories in a different way, but this may be going too far even for them.

Well if the spin-off we're going to be about the mother, presumably it would occur before she met Ted (i.e alive), so her being dead after this show ends doesn't matter.

That is kind of my point, from her POV, which would mean she alive to tell it (IDT Saget would do a good job telling her story) unless it had a compeltly different style. If they did do it more like a regular sitcom, what would be the point?

Further are they going to be able to get Rachel Bison? She is the roomate right, and the one scene I would like to see is the other side of that Date.

Here's my issue with the first two episodes: Mother just spent an entire train ride hearing about this guy, Ted, who is so hung up on the bride that Lily worries he's going to ruin the wedding. Isn't that a HUGE red flag? Why on EARTH would she be interested in Ted when she meets him? If she's at all rational, she should run in the other direction.

Here's my issue with the first two episodes: Mother just spent an entire train ride hearing about this guy, Ted, who is so hung up on the bride that Lily worries he's going to ruin the wedding. Isn't that a HUGE red flag? Why on EARTH would she be interested in Ted when she meets him? If she's at all rational, she should run in the other direction.

Well so far she's not. She just heard of him and found out he shares some of her interests...it takes more to feel for a guy you've never seen. I thing she is gonna get the whole story and a little bit about Ted from all of them before she actually meets him. It might start like he's coo coo girl,RUN! but who knows how story will develop.They have to resolve Ted/Robin issue for mother to start thinking in that direction...

I don't think the mother can be dead, based on the reaction of the kids when Ted started telling them the story in season 1 ("Are we being punished for something"). If she had died, their lack of interest and constant requests to leave would be completely out of place.

Very strong start for the season, btw. It has renewed my interest in the series.

I don't think the mother can be dead, based on the reaction of the kids when Ted started telling them the story in season 1 ("Are we being punished for something"). If she had died, their lack of interest and constant requests to leave would be completely out of place.

Very strong start for the season, btw. It has renewed my interest in the series.

If not for the ages of the kids, that initial traction is the kind of humor you'd expect if it were Ted dying and telling this story as part of his final wishes...

That theory is nice, and looks quite consistent with the 2000s/2010s parts of the show. On the other hand, there's nothing so far about the whole 2030 set-up and kids' reaction, or lack of reaction, that would ever hint at that, which would make it a bit strange to me, if it were the actual ending after all.

They have to resolve Ted/Robin issue for mother to start thinking in that direction...

I think ultimately, Ted will give Robin's locket to Barney and he'll be the one to giver it to her right at the wedding, sealing their relationship, without Robin knowing Ted actually had it at a point (well, not until later in the post-HIMYM future). For this to work fully, the Mother should eventually learn of it (odds are, through Lilly).

It could be a year or two after her death - not fresh grief, but dad taking a meandering trip down memory lane.

It could be, but even a year or two after I'm thinking we would have gotten a different response from the kids. "I'm going to tell you the story of how I met your mother." "Oh, wow. Ok, I really do miss her dad." I can't see how we wouldn't get some inkling from the kids. Unless this is how he tells them she has died - tells them the story, what a great time it was...have bad news, mom was killed by a pickpocketing monkey at the zoo.

As far as the locket, I have the feeling he will give it to Robin, but to finally close it for himself that he loves her, but not Loves her or Is In Love with her. I'm kinda hoping that they are actually writing it because people are tired of the back and forth and it's sort of a red herring for the audience.

Maybe it's alltogether meaner..."This is how I met your mother, so now you understand why, as good as what we had together was, I'm getting a divorce so I can get back with your aunt Robin now Barney has finally cheated one too many times with a 19 year old stripper. Look! I still have the locket. She will fall into my arms!"

Unless this is how he tells them she has died - tells them the story, what a great time it was...have bad news, mom was killed by a pickpocketing monkey at the zoo.

"Uh no, Dad. You've been smoking the sandwiches again? She's right there, still alive. Stop wishing she were dead. Not cool Dad, not cool."

Archived