[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Daario and Valar Morghulis?

Young Nan

I've read the Daario=Jaqen theory on here before and thought it had merit, were it not for the tricky timeline. However, I have to say, the Valar Morghulis bit definitely made me tilt my head. The "lovely girl" bit actually made me gasp aloud and wonder WTF was going on.

D&D know what they're doing. They know that after last season, the Unsullied are looking for signs of Jaqen; he was one of the most enigmatic characters of season 2 and he can literally be anyone. Now we have another young, handsome, brutally efficient killer who randomly decides to protect one of the show's heroines and he's using two of Jaqen's catchphrases.

I say it's intentional. Either D&D are veering off on another bit of AU fan fiction or they're leaving a red herring.

I've read the Daario=Jaqen theory on here before and thought it had merit, were it not for the tricky timeline. However, I have to say, the Valar Morghulis bit definitely made me tilt my head. The "lovely girl" bit actually made me gasp aloud and wonder WTF was going on.

D&D know what they're doing. They know that after last season, the Unsullied are looking for signs of Jaqen; he was one of the most enigmatic characters of season 2 and he can literally be anyone. Now we have another young, handsome, brutally efficient killer who randomly decides to protect one of the show's heroines and he's using two of Jaqen's catchphrases.

I say it's intentional. Either D&D are veering off on another bit of AU fan fiction or they're leaving a red herring.

I would have to look it up... was "lovely girl" one of >George's catch phrases<? Like 'onions', 'boiled leather' ... and many others?

Many people have noted how they miss Tom Wlaschiha this season, but he's not in the story.

I am hoping Wlaschiha will turn up as the Kindly Man , if he's available, he was super standout actor last season.

I have said so before, I do not believe Daario to be the douche bag that many believe him to be. The very fact that Dany goes on and on about him being below her, not worthy of her, him going to betray her etc. etc. just makes me believe that he will in fact not betray her.

So this whole new line of thinking that he may be sent by the faceless men makes some sense, even though I do not believe he is Jaqen

Considering Jaqen wanted to take Arya with him last season finale, the only way I could picture him as Naharis its if Daario actually died young and Jaqen took his place among his Captains just about now.

Either way, I can't picture any reason why Jaqen would bring Arya to Daenerys's location or hide her among the Second sons until he won the Queen's trust.

ETA: Wanting Joffrey and Cersei dead doesn't necessarily make Arya a Targaryen supporter.

ETA: Wanting Joffrey and Cersei dead doesn't necessarily make Arya a Targaryen supporter.

I am sure it's been mentioned on this forum somewhere.

I can't help noticing that , as the books follow the general backbone of the novels, that by the time Arya gets back to Westeros most of people in her 'prayer' are dead, with the drift now that they will all be dead!

Remember the Hound vanished off her list by the end of SoS.

I can't help noticing that , as the books follow the general backbone of the novels, that by the time Arya gets back to Westeros most of people in her 'prayer' are dead, with the drift now that they will all be dead!

If she leaves Westeros at all.

The show can always keep Arya here after the Hound "dies" and make it so that the actual Arya is forced to marry Ramsay.

That way, Arya could always take the role of Mance's spearwives, break havoc among Bolton's men prior to her wedding night and still be able make it out of there in time to escape with Theon towards Stannis's camp.

If she leaves Westeros at all.

The show can always keep Arya here after the Hound "dies" and make it so that the actual Arya is forced to marry Ramsay.

That way, Arya could always take the role of Mance's spearwives, break havoc among Bolton's men prior to her wedding night and still be able make it out of there in time to escape with Theon towards Stannis's camp.

That will never happen, Arya's adventures in Braavos are just too delicious , D & D have shown a fondness for George story narrative when he gets all twisty and undercuts the readers expectations.

That will never happen, Arya's adventures in Braavos are just too delicious , D & D have shown a fondness for George story narrative when he gets all twisty and undercuts the readers expectations.

:agree: Not to mention that the Boltons have to use fake-Arya, otherwise there's some factual basis for their claim...

Arya could experience the same adventures in Westeros if a faceless man completes her training during Bolton's siege.

Her "groom" could take the place of her final kill and we'd get the best of both worlds: Ramsay's story and the real Arya story.

It happened to Gendry with Edric story and might be happening to Jaqen with Daario story (if speculations are correct).

I don't see why it can't happen to Arya.

I always took the coin that was given to Arya as a coin used by people who wanted to go to the temple to die.

Braavosi would know what that was for and as part of their culture/religion assist in any way to help the one seeking death to get where they needed to go.

The coin given to Daario was just a common coin from Braavos.

I think the coin given to Arya was the equivalent of a FM business card. Arya believes that the face on the coin was so old that it was worn away, but I believe that there was never a face there at all. I think that any Braavosi would recognize this coin, and also assume that its bearer was a Faceless Man - hence why the ship's captain was so deferential and offered Arya a berth right away.

Arya could experience the same adventures in Westeros if a faceless man completes her training during Bolton's siege.

Her "groom" could take the place of her final kill and we'd get the best of both worlds: Ramsay's story and the real Arya story.

It happened to Gendry with Edric story and might be happening to Jaqen with Daario story (if speculations are correct).

I don't see why it can't happen to Arya.

And not see the Titan of Braavos!

You just ruined my day.

and Pixomondo is more than crying in their beer!

Same here, I can't wait to see how the Jaqen thing plays out. "Lovely girl" is a show thing, couldn't find either saying that in the text.

Same here, I can't wait to see how the Jaqen thing plays out. "Lovely girl" is a show thing, couldn't find either saying that in the text.

The first words Jaqen even says to Arya is "Boy, Lovely boy" in ACOK when they are at the Inn traveling North. Page 85 at the bottom of the paper back. I bet he also says it in Harrenhal but "lovely girl" in the books, it is not a show thing. Daario isn't Jaqen, Valar Morgulis is a common saying and Missandei is quite lovely.

I saw where he said lovely boy, but not lovely girl, we were just wondering if there were clues in the books. Just fun to speculate.

Seeing what else he called her... at one point he says sweet girl, then again. Lovely girl, Tyrion says a couple of times and Cersei. Not used very often. But it was a fine choice for the show.

The first words Jaqen even says to Arya is "Boy, Lovely boy" in ACOK when they are at the Inn traveling North. Page 85 at the bottom of the paper back. I bet he also says it in Harrenhal but "lovely girl" in the books, it is not a show thing. Daario isn't Jaqen, Valar Morgulis is a common saying and Missandei is quite lovely.

According to the season 2 DVDs, he says both lovely girl and sweet boy.

I don't see anything odd with the "Don't scream, lovely girl" phrasing either. It was clearly spoken to, and about, Missandei when he released her. As there's no way he'd know the name of Dany's handmaiden (she wasn't introduced at the meeting) he called her the first thing that came to mind. As easy as that.

She is a lovely girl and a womaniser like Daario is certainly not missing that. It could also have been a callback to Mero calling her "slave girl" at the meeting and being generally rude, to further prove that he's distancing himself from them rather than just continue in their way.

Archived