[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Daario and Valar Morghulis?

Young Nan

I never thought of the Daario and Jaquen connection. In the books it would never make sense, Jaquen was this mystery that we know so little about while Daario was just a sleazy, lusty boytoy of Dany. But in the show...why put a Braavosi coin and the phrase Valar Morghulis in the same conversation?And the actor kinda looks like (albeit a more handsome version) of the guy that Jaquen changed face into. I get why non-readers would think of that connection. But if the writers are really hinting at that, well it just seems preposterous and too much of a stretch for me.

I never thought of the Daario and Jaquen connection. In the books it would never make sense, Jaquen was this mystery that we know so little about while Daario was just a sleazy, lusty boytoy of Dany. But in the show...why put a Braavosi coin and the phrase Valar Morghulis in the same conversation?And the actor kinda looks like (albeit a more handsome version) of the guy that Jaquen changed face into. I get why non-readers would think of that connection. But if the writers are really hinting at that, well it just seems preposterous and too much of a stretch for me.

I agree the show made it seem plausible, especially after the familiar use of "lovely girl", but I think that is because of the similarities I see between Arya and Daenerys as characters more than anything else.

Yeh, it was round....this one was triangular I think

Jaqen's coin was a Braavos House of Black and White coin.

Later Arya uses one to scare a guy to death!

Just like any political entity Braavos must have many coins.

In the book, I remember it was a big revelation when I finally found out what "Valar Morghulis" meant, once Arya got to Braavos, and that made it so much more significant. TV-wise, it's starting to crop up everywhere. Missandrei had also said it when walking out of Astapor with Dany, just after she'd been freed. Then Mel said it when she greeted Thoros, too. Really dilutes it, I think.

Since it's used many times in the books by many different characters , in you view , it must be diluted in the books.

I was kind of disappointed that Mero, Prendahl and Daario didn't start their conversation in Valyrian, since they seemed to have intelligence on Dany (like how many Unsullied she really had).

Then she asks them to speak common tongue for Jorah and Selmy's sake , since they only understand some Valyrian.

It would have been a nice little touch.

I watched the episode, but never even noticed the „lovely girl” line. Obviously he can't be Jaqen, since it would mean Jaqen had to travel a very long way in a time so short, get to the rank lieutenant of the Second Sons, and also change his face again for whatever reason. Nope, I just don't buy it. I read the books, he's definitely not Jaqen.

eh, it was 3 different coins for 3 different people to draw from. Valar Morghulis is macho fatalistic bravado that is similar to what I imagine soldiers drawing a dangerous detail have said for thousands of years. And will continue to say...like Klingsons saying "It is a good day to die." ;)

It's certainly not strange that Mero would have Braavosi currency in his pocket. I suspect all the merc company soldiers have, literally, a "mixed bag" of coins at any given time.

Even if we conclude that the "Daario is a faceless man" door is ajar, there's literally no reason to suspect that he's Jaquen. We might as well suspect that Hizdahr is Jaquen.

I watched the episode, but never even noticed the „lovely girl” line. Obviously he can't be Jaqen, since it would mean Jaqen had to travel a very long way in a time so short, get to the rank lieutenant of the Second Sons, and also change his face again for whatever reason. Nope, I just don't buy it. I read the books, he's definitely not Jaqen.

"Lovely girl" is what he tells Missandrei once he removes the knife from her throat.

That being said, I agree with you the last this Daario could be on this show is Jaqen H'ghar.

There's simply not enough time for him to cross the Narrow Sea and establish himself as the Second Son's Lt. after he left Harrenhal.

Archived