[Book Spoilers] The very last scene of the series

adense

Nan reading to Bran. "It was all a dream...."

I actually fear this since I began reading the books.

I like the notion of Rickon behading a Night's Watch deserter in front oh his children, though for that too happen huge leaps in time have to be taken in the last 2 books :/

I like the notion of Rickon behading a Night's Watch deserter in front oh his children, though for that too happen huge leaps in time have to be taken in the last 2 books :/

Maybe it can be an epilogue chapter, just before Rickon takes all his kids to the procession on its way to King's Landing. He can exchange glances with a reformed Theon, and the now-happy couple of Sansa and Tyrion, also waving goodbye to their red-headed kids. And maybe some kid will be worried that he's going to turn out to be a Lannister when really he just wants to be a Stark.

Someone once (sorry, forgot the poster) said the last scene will be Bran having Jon beheaded, and Jon looks to Bran and tells him "Don't look away. Father will know if you do." That would be so spectacular it almost made me cry, but I definitely don't think that will happen - it would just be grand.

Not happening, but I like it!

I'm preparing to be disappointed but the ride so far has already been such a great journey, it doesn't even matter.

Maybe it can be an epilogue chapter, just before Rickon takes all his kids to the procession on its way to King's Landing. He can exchange glances with a reformed Theon, and the now-happy couple of Sansa and Tyrion, also waving goodbye to their red-headed kids. And maybe some kid will be worried that he's going to turn out to be a Lannister when really he just wants to be a Stark.

lol - and the last word is scar. Nice. I'd be so angry.

Nobody is happy, most are dead and in all seriousness, the possibilities are so vast I can't even guess.

Jon and Dany visiting the Tomb of Eddard, Robb and Lyanna with their children. While Jon is telling stories about who they were and what they stood for and why they died. And than finally he says "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"

... but only as a joke. In fact, he once said that the entire last book would be a description of a graveyard amidst wind and snow...

What makes you think it's a joke?

I think it's the biggest spoiler of all, a great shaggy dog story.

Dornish Princess,

That comment has been repeated by Martin in several interviews, but only as a joke. In fact, he once said that the entire last book would be a description of a graveyard amidst wind and snow. As far as I know, the only serious clue that he has given about the ending is that it will be "bittersweet".

But that would be bittersweet.

Damn, maybe he's trolling with us, spoiling the ending for everyone!

DarkAndFullOfTurnips]

Someone once (sorry' date=' forgot the poster) said the last scene will be Bran having Jon beheaded, and Jon looks to Bran and tells him "Don't look away. Father will know if you do." That would be so spectacular it almost made me cry, but I definitely don't think that will happen - it would just be grand.

[/quote']If Jon ends up doing something to deserve it - not deserting the Watch, but turning into the Night's King or something - that would really be something.

I always thought it would end where it began, at Winterfell. The survivors having a meal, saying their goodbyes, and then going their separate ways after saving the world, you can pick out who you want. Tyrion to his family home, Sansa to the Vale, Rickon rebuilding the Stark name under the guardianship of whomever, Dany leaving the seven kingdoms, she was meant to save it, not rule it, etc, maybe Jon Snow takes the Iron Throne, if Stannis is still alive, joins the Night's Watch, a job he'd be suited for.

Whatever it is... The landscape will be unrecognizable. I cant see the current power structure in Westeros enduring the war thats coming. Kings and queens and lords? Best case scenario we go back to separate kingdoms. Worst case? Dystopian ruins

I always thought it would end where it began, at Winterfell. The survivors having a meal, saying their goodbyes, and then going their separate ways after saving the world, you can pick out who you want. Tyrion to his family home, Sansa to the Vale, Rickon rebuilding the Stark name under the guardianship of whomever, Dany leaving the seven kingdoms, she was meant to save it, not rule it, etc, maybe Jon Snow takes the Iron Throne, if Stannis is still alive, joins the Night's Watch, a job he'd be suited for.

Ooooooo, Stannis Baratheon, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. I like it.

I have to agree with what a few others have said, someone writing the Ice and Fire history. Whether it be Sam, Tyrion, or some maester years later.

I'm not going to even try to unpick GRRM's mind and imagination. Who the hell knows? I'll be somewhat vague and leave out any specific names and characters, but I'm sure it'll be a montage of all the surviving characters living their lives however they turned out following the events of ASOIAF. The FINAL scene will probably be for me, someone sitting on the IT, suggesting a complete wrap-up of the story, but I think something will happen to suggest their position on the throne is at threat, suggesting another "game of thrones" is close, ultimately connoting that it is a everlasting cycle of what we have just witnessed for 7 books. Additionally, this sort of ending would open up ambiguity and further discussion about what could have happened. I can't see GRRM wanting to completely conclude his story and leave it at that. I imagine to a certain extent, he'll want some loose ends to continue discussion years after ASOIAF finishes.

The last series that I was this intriuged with that took forever to write and is now in the process of converting to movies and television was the Gunslinger series. That ending was also bittersweet.I just hope it is different this time where you can feel that everything that happens is worth the journey to get there.

I don't know what interview/correspondence this came from, but according to the show's trivia page on IMDB, GRRM has said he plans to end the series with "a cloud of dust or snow being driven by the wind across a vast graveyard full of tombstones."

This is not the worst ending:

Where there are tombstones for the dead there must be survivors after all.

This is not the worst ending:

Where there are tombstones for the dead there must be survivors after all.

Which makes me think of how the White Walkers like to artistically arrange corpses. We've already seen the final scene: it's just a much much larger version of the corpse ring seen at the very beginning of the first episode.

Archived