What is the reason this series sucks in non-fantasy fans?

TheNorthReigns

no. I bought it after the 30 day grace period to add the $99 package so I didn't qualify for it. I've been repeatedly told that "accidental damage" is not covered. Don't worry, though, I was joking about trying to weasel the upgrade from you. I'm not quite that shameless.

no. I bought it after the 30 day grace period to add the $99 package so I didn't qualify for it. I've been repeatedly told that "accidental damage" is not covered. Don't worry, though, I was joking about trying to weasel the upgrade from you. I'm not quite that shameless.

Hmmm. That sucks. Its a couple hundo to repair those puppies. I take it they quoted you the repair price. My suggestion.... Get a nexus tablet :)

Edit for full smiley effect

To be honest I'm not a fan of fantasy books, while I do like a few movies of the genre, like the LOTR series, and one of my absolute favorites "Excalibur". I have tried to read Tolkien's books, as well as the Harry Potter books and other fantasy series, but just could not get into them. Not saying that they're not good, because I know there are a lot of readers who love them. Yet for some reason after hearing about this series last year, I started reading AGoT and was sucked right in and read all 5 books in 6 weeks. Hate to admit this, but I think I'm actually obsessed with them, since I'm now doing the re-read of the series, just finishing up ACok. I talk about them so much at work, I now have a couple of nurses hooked on them. Needless to say, I'll probably won't see my books in the near future.

The same reason why the highest grosing films of all time: in the syfy fantasy genre never when awards for the acting, people lack imagination they want more of the same. ASOIAF will make them think to much.

I have many friends who i have tried to convince to read the books and i have only gotten two of them to read it. i have however gotten about 8-12 of them to watch the series and when i try to get them to read the books they say i have problems following the tv show the books will be to complex...

By the old gods and the new, I bid you all hello. Tommen's Cat, I completely get what you're saying, not necessarily about ASoIaF in particular, but about all stories, all art and creation. I just wanted to say I think it's a cool idea/possibility/speculation, and I wish to recommend a few other stories I have come across that are possibly inspired by the muse of which you speak and deal directly with the concept within their own narratives. The first, and the one to read immediately, is the Promethea graphic novels by Alan Moore. The second is the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. If you have already read these, right on. If not, I think you will enjoy them. So that's it. My first post. I promise the next will be more Westeros-centric.

I think i'd be perfectly happy with the series if Tyrion was right and all the magical forces in Westeros were only so many Snarks and Grumpkins

I often feel the same ways. Maybe it would have been better if the series kept its low magic character.

By the old gods and the new, I bid you all hello. Tommen's Cat, I completely get what you're saying, not necessarily about ASoIaF in particular, but about all stories, all art and creation. I just wanted to say I think it's a cool idea/possibility/speculation, and I wish to recommend a few other stories I have come across that are possibly inspired by the muse of which you speak and deal directly with the concept within their own narratives. The first, and the one to read immediately, is the Promethia graphic novels by Alan Moore. The second is the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. If you have already read these, right on. If not, I think you will enjoy them. So that's it. My first post. I promise the next will be more Westeros-centric.

Thanks I'll have a look

i think because the books are actually.....

real

i know, i know, its crazy but i honestly believe in glimpsing other dimensions or realities.

the beatles did it and i think GRRM is doing it.

i dont believe im reading a figment of GRRM imagination, i believe he has glimpsed (albeit, unknowingly. as it always happens. some call this a muse, i believe its a bit different than the traditional sense though) a possible alternate dimension, or world. not in our universe mind you. but a different place this world exists in reality.

no way a man that has never fought in a battle or watched his family-members and friends die can write a passage like merribalds broken men speech.

i understand it sounds strange but GRRM is actually telling a tale, a true story that has happened or is happening as he writes. i cant be sure.

sounds crazy i know, but this "book" or "series" is on another level that a normal man could not hope to create.

I like this answer.

To be honest I'm not a fan of fantasy books, while I do like a few movies of the genre, like the LOTR series, and one of my absolute favorites "Excalibur". I have tried to read Tolkien's books, as well as the Harry Potter books and other fantasy series, but just could not get into them. Not saying that they're not good, because I know there are a lot of readers who love them. Yet for some reason after hearing about this series last year, I started reading AGoT and was sucked right in and read all 5 books in 6 weeks. Hate to admit this, but I think I'm actually obsessed with them, since I'm now doing the re-read of the series, just finishing up ACok. I talk about them so much at work, I now have a couple of nurses hooked on them. Needless to say, I'll probably won't see my books in the near future.

Right there with ya. I read them too in 6 weeks and I've been re-reading them ever since. It never gets old, ya know? I find new things every time I read them, things that might be CLUES or HINTS! I haven't read any other books since getting them in the Summer of 2011. As far as obsessions go, it's a very cheap one and doesn't hurt your health! That's how I look at it:)

So Spake Martin. I read all of these, plus the citadel and Tower of the Hand articles about Jon Snow's parentage before I started posting here. You're all welcome. ;)

Here is the one about the Targaryen kings.

cool, cant get enough info. especially straight from GRRM

i love that guy. his on camera interviews crack me the f up. not sure if these are articles or on camera but interesting none the less i would imagine :)

Archived