If Renly had lived, what would have stopped him?

Two people, other then those who actually did it-LF or Varys. If you wanna know who won the war (as far as its been won at least) its LF. He not only kept the Arryns from joining Robb but also engineered the Tyrell alliance which sealed Joffs win.

So if Renly didnt suit eithers plans he was toast, same as Tyrion, Ned, Tywin etc.

I'd bet money that Renly would execute LF or at least send him down to the wall before LF could kill him. When you sit on a council with people, you learn whether or not they're a threat to you.

If not for the shadowbaby Renly would have almost certainly took the IT. His forces were just to much to handle. No one currently in Westeros could have defeated him imo. Perhaps a certain Queen with 3 dragons might have been able to though.

Yeah I agree. Renly seems to be the only person who actually saw through LF's web of lies, sadly enough. He almost certainly would have dealt with him as soon as he sat the IT.

As for Robb, sure they might have come to an agreement, but the Others would still be up there.

Renly was clearly one of the better candidates for King, he was just too good to live.... If he had survived, beaten Stannis and taken the Iron Throne what would have derailed him would probably be lack of an heir. Even if he had a child with Margery (sorry, can't remember where the a goes...) there would probably still be rumours flying about that the child wasn't his, circulated by his enemies. That and Dany might have crossed the sea and fried him with her dragons anyway....

You're mistaking Book-Renly for Show-Renly in regard to an heir. Book-Renly was apparently 'anything but nervous' when it came to the bedding when he and Margery were married, and to Stannis, he said that he suspected he'd have an heir within the year. He was aware of the political reality of things. He may have been gay, but that didn't stop tons of people from having kids, especially in that sort of setting.

Renly would sit the Iron Throne. As mentioned in the OP, he had a large army some seasoned battle commanders and he had a lot of Robert's ability to make friends and allies, something Stannis clearly lacked. Remember he was close to an alliance with Robb Stark as well when Catelyn goes to visit him.

Short of dragons, nothing could stop him.

granted but none of those threats stop him from sitting the IT before their plans come to fruition.

Yeah. I see him taking KL, but not holding it.

I just don't think Robb and Renly would have had much conflict. I think they could have worked something out because their goals just weren't similar but their enemies were the same. If it took Robb agreeing to some sort of political marriage the way Ned and Jon Arryn did, he'd have done that.

I also don't see why Robb would have had an issue with accepting Renlys terms. They were quite generous in my opinion. The North would have had its independence in all but actuality and they'd just need to lend the realm soldiers when the need arised. Combine that with the idea that Renly would have gave the Starks the justice they deserved and I think Robb would have been moronic to turn Renly down.

How is surrender or die generous terms? Because he got to keep an empty title?

Nothing, except very unusual things like the dragons, a faceless man or a betrayal on a massive scale. With 100k troops, including about 20k cavalry and at least semi-competent commanders, he could besiege KL and still have enough men to meet Tywin in the field and have a significant numerical superiority.

The funny thing is that if anyone can afford a faceless man during WoTK, it's Tywin, so maybe if he gets desperate...

EDIT: Although, when you think about it, it would be very entertaining if Tywin pulled a Hannibal on Renly and crushed his massive army in the field. I'm convinced that GRRM could write this convincingly.

Renly would have won,Stannis would be dead or grinding his teeth in a cell somewhere.

Varys would stay,Baelish would be gone.

Cersei,Joff would be dead,Tom and Myrcella would probably be hostages Tyrion,Jaime and Tywin would be dead.

Robb would ask for an Independent North,He'll probably be a reduced area.

Sansa would be married to a Tyrell.

Dany would still be a threat but not as a big of a threat as she is now.

Aegon would be a much smaller threat.

Dorne's plans would awry.

The Other's will be a huge challenge.

Varys would eventually stir up trouble and Chaos marking the end of Renly rule,He would have to leave heirs or completely perish.

Renly might have ruled for 10-15 years.

I'd bet money that Renly would execute LF or at least send him down to the wall before LF could kill him. When you sit on a council with people, you learn whether or not they're a threat to you.

Neither Ned, Tywin nor Tyrion could take them down though. In any case you could be right about LF, but then Varys comes out of the closet and hits Renly with a crossbow bolt and blames it on Loras. Either way Varys and LF are the real players

Neither Ned, Tywin nor Tyrion could take them down though. In any case you could be right about LF, but then Varys comes out of the closet and hits Renly with a crossbow bolt and blames it on Loras. Either way Varys and LF are the real players

Varys wanted peace in the realm though. He might have tolerated Renly for a while.

Assuming Renly manages to take Kings Landing and secure the Iron Throne from his challengers, which is far from a given, then the story would just be pushed back a decade or so with the Tyrells sitting in for the Lannisters and Renly as the new Robert.

Of course Renly's victory is far from assured. He's already shown himself to be incompetent militarily and has maybe one or two experienced commanders in his bannermen, so his armies leadership is a definite problem (especially when compared to Stannis, Tywin and the Young Wolf). And while his superior numbers are a real boon it is quite possible for a seasoned and well commanded force (such as those led by Stannis, Tywin and the Young Wolf) to outmaneuver, out-flank and ultimately defeat a numerically superior force.

Varys wanted peace in the realm though. He might have tolerated Renly for a while.

Not as long as he had a chance of uniting the realm under one banner. Varys needs it fragmented if Aegon is to win the Westeros. Its the reason why Ned, Tywin and later Kevan had to go

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen arriving at the head of a khalasar with eunuchs and at least one dragon would probably be a serious threat to Renly's rule. If not Dany, the Others would surely be a problem.

His difficulty in producing an heir.

I have some news for you... Gay people are more than capable of producing heirs. Shocking, I know.

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen arriving at the head of a khalasar with eunuchs and at least one dragon would probably be a serious threat to Renly's rule. If not Dany, the Others would surely be a problem.

I have some news for you... Gay people are more than capable of producing heirs. Shocking, I know.

I don't think that's what he meant. Let's not make it that kind of party

Archived