Small questions v.10006

Angalin

I would say it is neither. The only canon evidence we have is that Nymeria married the Martells and that their main rivals in Dorne were the Yronwoods. There is no mention of the Jordaynes being one of the petty kings who ruled Dorne prior to her arrival, though that is certainly not impossible.

FWIW, according to the wiki, GRRM has confirmed that House Jordayne was created as an homage to Robert Jordan. The only other notable thing about them is that they are currently (as of the end of ADWD) entertaining Balon Swann in order to delay his arrival at Sunspear.

ADWD Tyrion Chapter:

"Enough," said Griff. "Be quiet, all of you."

Septa Lemore sucked in her breath. "WHAT WAS THAT?"

"Where?" Tyrion saw nothing but the fog.

"Something moved. I saw the water rippling."

"A turtle," the prince announced cheerfully. "A big 'snapper, that's all it was."

We know that Tyrion has figured out that Griff is Jon Connington, but how and when did he figure out who young Griff was?

ADWD Tyrion Chapter:

"Enough," said Griff. "Be quiet, all of you."

Septa Lemore sucked in her breath. "WHAT WAS THAT?"

"Where?" Tyrion saw nothing but the fog.

"Something moved. I saw the water rippling."

"A turtle," the prince announced cheerfully. "A big 'snapper, that's all it was."

We know that Tyrion has figured out that Griff is Jon Connington, but how and when did he figure out who young Griff was?

Probably as soon as he really started to sober up, he's a lot brighter than some give him credit for. He seems to have realized who Griff was, right from the get go.

Is there a real-life comparison to greyscale?

There are two diseases that come to mind. Because eventually the Stone Men are unable to move, it reminds me of Lou Gherig's Disease (ALS). The way the Stone Men are shunned reminds me of the way lepers used to be treated-- The Sorrows is like a leper colony IMO.

To the people who have read the TWOW sample chapters: Is there anything in them that could possibly spoil TWOW in any way? I'd love to read them, but i really, really hate spoilers, however small they might be.

I don't understand what do you mean. TWOW sample chapters are part of TWOW, and thus, by reading them, you'll be spoiling yourself TWOW. If you don't want spoilers regarding characters and events which happen in TWOW, then don't read sample chapters.

I don't understand what do you mean. TWOW sample chapters are part of TWOW, and thus, by reading them, you'll be spoiling yourself TWOW. If you don't want spoilers regarding characters and events which happen in TWOW, then don't read sample chapters.

Well i'm guessing those chapters are not the beginning chapters of the book, so if they are from say the middle third of the book, it may very well be possible that there are clues or references to events covered in the first third of the book, thus spoiling the earlier chapters. I just wanted to know if that's the case, or if they are pretty much standalone chapters.

Does that make any sense to you? I'm not that great at verbalising my thoughts...

Well i'm guessing those chapters are not the beginning chapters of the book, so if they are from say the middle third of the book, it may very well be possible that there are clues or references to events covered in the first third of the book, thus spoiling the earlier chapters.

Does that make any sense to you? I'm not that great at verbalising my thoughts...

Sample chapters are from beginning of the books, not the middle ;) For example, Theon I sample chapter starts shortly after Theon's last ADWD chapter ended. You won't be spoiling yourself ealier TWOW chapters simply because sample chapters are the earliest ones.

Sample chapters are from beginning of the books, not the middle ;) For example, Theon I sample chapter starts shortly after Theon's last ADWD chapter ended. You won't be spoiling yourself ealier TWOW chapters simply because sample chapters are the earliest ones.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.

Do the Daynes have any relation to the Targaryen dynasty?

I did read somewhere they were a ten thousand year old family, so the "Dayne" blood is probably from the first men, but who knows if some Targ blood got mixed in there over the years.

Archived