What are you reading in June?

deleted01

There was some mention of this in the Alternate History thread, it sounded like an interesting premise. I look forward to your review, I might pick this one up myself.

Just thinking about it has me all excited; a quirky, present day murder mystery, set in an Alaskan Jewish refugee settlement commissioned during WWII. Brilliant. I'll write one up once I've read it.

it could be a little while though, for as of right now I'm about 200 pages of 1200 into The Stand, which is just as fantastic as I thought it would be.

I've had a bit of a summer cold for the past few days, and we're currently going through a heat wave where I am. So the stuffed sinuses and sweat-inducing heat added a bit of terror when reading about people dying left, right, and center, from what started out as basically the same symptoms.

In a bit of self flagellation, I just wanted to weigh in and say that I'm reading nothing, apparently. A chapter here and there before dropping into sleep.

I know exactly how that feels...

I finished the excellent Abaddon's Gate last week and I loved almost every minute of it, I just couldn't wait for the Spawn to fall asleep so I could read some more. I only had problems with one of the secondary characters but I was really happy with the rest of the book.

I've been reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks ever since. I think I'm about halfway. I like it so far. It's only my second Culture novel, the first being Use of Weapons.

Finished Black Opera by Mary Gentle. I kinda hated it. The characters were infuriating and the resolution was ridiculous. A pity, I've really enjoyed all Gentle's other books.

Now reading Live By Night by Dennis Lehane, sequel to The Given Day. Pretty fantastic so far. Fast paced cops-and-robbers story set in Boston in the 20's.

Just thinking about it has me all excited; a quirky, present day murder mystery, set in an Alaskan Jewish refugee settlement commissioned during WWII. Brilliant. I'll write one up once I've read it.

Yiddish Policeman's Union is my favourite Chabon novel.

Having finished A Confederacy of Dunces, I think I'll give YPU a try next. I stumbled upon a copy, and I have not read Chabon at all.

Now reading Live By Night by Dennis Lehane, sequel to The Given Day. Pretty fantastic so far. Fast paced cops-and-robbers story set in Boston in the 20's.

Yiddish Policeman's Union is my favourite Chabon novel.

Good to hear, I've never read anything by Chabon.

As for Live by Night and The Given Day, I would consider those Lehane's best, especially The Given Day. I am eagerly awaiting the 3rd novel in the series, as long as he doesn't make it Connor's story; the way The Given Day and Live by Night are Danny and Joe's stories respectively.

I just read Hilary Mantel's books Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Very well-written books, the prose can be very confusing though; It's told in a strange tense and the Mantel seems determined to stick pronouns everywhere, but I enjoyed them all the same. I recently did something I wasn't exactly proud of, though - I googled 'books like a song of ice and fire', and based off of the results, I've ordered The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Looking forward to reading them.

Archived