What are you reading in June?

deleted01

Decided to start Ghost Brigades, the second book in the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. I am not sure what to expect as I felt the special forces folks were the weakest aspect of the first book (which I loved). I'm sure it will be good, though.

Finished with Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut yesterday. It was so good, I enjoyed it a lot. But I think that will be the last book I'll read this month, since I seriously doubt I have time to read anything else. I had to put aside Red Seas Under Red Skies due to a lack of time and ability to focus :lol:. It took me four days to finish Mother Night, which was a very short book.

Decided to start Ghost Brigades, the second book in the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. I am not sure what to expect as I felt the special forces folks were the weakest aspect of the first book (which I loved). I'm sure it will be good, though.

It's quite a bit different from OMW, but I really liked it.

Just recently finished ASOIAF, but I plan to read through the entire set again by the end of July. I'm also hoping to be able to fit in a few more read throughs of The Hunger Games trilogy before the 2nd film "Catching Fire" is released in November, so starting that is also a priority.

Just recently finished ASOIAF, but I plan to read through the entire set again by the end of July.

Re-reading ASOIAF is a wonderful experience, in many ways better than the first read-through.

(must resist urge to re-read a 5th time)

So I'm almost finished with Robin Hobb's City of Dragons, the third of four books in the Rain Wilds series.

Holy crap, what a lousy third book in a series this has been. Most of the series has been crap, actually. Which is really disappointing, because I loved all of Hobb's other three series set in the same world.

I have less than 50 pages left in this book and so far - nothing has happened! Nothing happened in the first book either. But, ya know, it was the first in a four-book series. As an experienced reader of fantasy, I can deal with an initial book in a series that is mostly setup.That's fine. I get it.

Book 2, Dragon Haven, had plenty of payoff and (especially the latter half) was quite good. It was so good, I plowed right on into Book 3, putting off a few other books I intended to read first. But now, it seems like Book 3 is just all setup for Book 4 - unless shit really goes down in the last 40-some pages.

Ugh. So frustrating. Has anyone finished this series? If so, is Book 4 worth it? I am guessing it is, but it might be a while before I can stomach it after this disappointment.

I loved Red Country, the way I've loved most of Joe Abercrombie's books. It is dark and gritty and brilliant, fast paced and witty and very entertaining. Highly recommended.

I also read Siege and Storm, Leigh Bardugo's second book in the Grisha trilogy. It was a quick and fun read but personally I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. I don't know if it was suffering from middle-book syndrome or if it lacked some of the spark the first one had, I felt the main character felt flat at points and her emo musings were at times not easy to read. A good book still and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I made quick work of To Kill an Armchair Husband by Terri Weeding. Going with free kindle books sometimes means you get to read a lot of mediocre -or worse- books before you stumble upon a diamond. Well, diamond it wasn't. It started off with an interesting plot and a quite dark and funny narrative and it ended up being so bad I kept rolling my eyes and wishing it was over.

Today I started reading Abaddon's Gate. Really excited about this one. :)

Away for a week, picked up a book in a charity shop this morning; Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, it's entertaining enough so far.

I read that one, I did not enjoy it too much though, I thought it dragged some. It was a good idea and all, just not too interestingly finished. :dunno: Maybe it was trying to be mysterious too hard and failed at it becuase of that.

Ugh. So frustrating. Has anyone finished this series? If so, is Book 4 worth it? I am guessing it is, but it might be a while before I can stomach it after this disappointment.

I remember liking book 3 a lot at the time, but honestly I can't remember any of it. The first three sort of blur togther in my mind. i looooved book 4. Some very nice payoffs(finally) plus a very obscure I didn't even pick up on it til after I finished the book reference to the fool. Which makes me want her next book even more. So uh, yeah I'd say its worth it.

Finished "Fables - The Deluxe Edition Book three" - what a beautiful series. March of the wooding soldiers is an excellent tale. And then there´s this one picture of two characters, which is effing romantic.

I also finished "Red Plenty" by Francis Spufford. I am kind of curious, why this book got so little attention on this board. It´s beautiful mix of historical facts and speculative fiction set during the sputnik area in the Soviet Union. Really unique and full of politically incorrect facts.

I thought The Straits of Galahesh by Bradley Beaulieu improved in many aspects from The Winds of Khalakovo. There was more action, better plot twists and a more epic feel to his original world. The only thing that is stopping me from really liking it was the characters. For some reason, I'm having a hard time connecting to Nikandr, Atania, and Nasim, even though they are very realistically drawn three dimensional characters. Despite that, I'm looking forward to reading the final volume in the series.

I'm going to start Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. I feel nervous as it won't keep up my expectations since The Liveships Traders is one of my favorite series of all times.

Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I loved it, but then I am a Gaiman fanboy. However part of me felt like I was reading a redo of Coraline with a more adult tone.

I've read about five chapters of The Ocean at the end of the Lane. I'm loving it so far....Haven't read Coraline yet so can't compare but sometimes I catch myself thinking of American Gods. Although the story is not really the same, it seems to me that it's something that could be set in the American Gods universe. I'll see if that opinion will hold up until the end of the book.

Oh, and I've finished Conspiracy by Lindsay Buroker. I have been warned of the cliffhanger and there it is!

I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. It has lots of good reviews, and I'd been meaning to read it for months. So far, it's mostly an introduction of the society, and the daily life of the main character. I'm only 10% into it, and I'm interested in seeing how the story will go on. I was about to start with Breakfast of Champions, by Vonnegut, but I don't think I can handle two books at the same time now. So much to read, so little time.

Archived