What are you reading in June?

deleted01

I'm currently reading Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. I haven't made it fat yet but I'm loving it so far.

Books I finished this month and haven't posted about yet :

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. Kind of weird but in a good way, an almost brilliant book. It only took me a few pages to start loving it.

Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. A quick little read, fun and not demanding at all. Perfect for reading when there's mayhem around you.

I can see why the Vorkosigan Saga is so popular on the boards. I haven't read much science fiction, but I enjoyed Barrayar. I'll be reading more of this series in the future.

Now reading 1494: How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half by Stephen Bown.

I can see why the Vorkosigan Saga is so popular on the boards. I haven't read much science fiction, but I enjoyed Barrayar. I'll be reading more of this series in the future.

Now reading 1494: How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half by Stephen Bown.

It is?

I'm on book 4 (House of Chains) of the Malazan series. From an emotional standpoint it's hit me harder than ASOIAF simply because the big events haven't been spoiled for me prior to reading. I was proper blubbing towards the end of Memories of Ice.

I started with Red Seas Under Red Skies, but I don't have enough time to dedicate to it, only a few minutes whenever I have some time to spare. I'm only on chapter 2, and it's been almost a week.

I wanted to get Wool, but I got Shift instead :rolleyes:. Would I be missing too many details if I read Shift first?

I was away on holiday last week, so I got a chance to go through 4 good books.

Firstly I read Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed the further exploration of his world, especially with the pirate element.

I then got around to beginning Terry Pratchett's famous Discworld series, reading the first two books (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) and I can see why they are thought of so highly.

Lastly, I read Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb, unwittingly jumping in several trilogies too late, which when I found out, I was less than happy with, but alas I never felt like I was missing much and enjoyed it regardless.

I'm now reading the sequel, The Golden Fool, so hopefully I'll enjoy it just as much.

Just finished Dodger by Terry Pratchett.

It took me about 6 weeks as my reading rate has really slowed down. A change in job location has meant I'm driving in (no reading on train) and reading less in the evening (getting up earlier).

I enjoyed it a lot, though not as much as most of the Discworld novels I've read. I also found the last few scenes didn't add much, so the book could have been cut short.

I'm now reading The Riddle of the Third Mile by Colin Dexter. I've four of this Inspector Morse series on my to read pile, so I'll be working them all in over the next year.

I just finished Abaddon's Gate which was very good and I'm enjoying the series in general. Daniel Abraham seems to be churning the books out at a rate of knots though but fair enough he's keeping the quality up.

About 100 pages into Troy by Gemmell. It is fine. I don't know how to put this better, but the writing just seems a little flat to me. The only other Gemmell I have read was Legend and I would probably say the same thing about that.

I wanted to get Wool, but I got Shift instead :rolleyes:. Would I be missing too many details if I read Shift first?

Yes. IMO, you pretty much have to read Wool first. The awesome slow reveal of the world in which they are living in Wool would be ruined if you read Shift first - even though Shift starts out as a prequel.

The most popular science fiction reads on this board seems to be the following:

The Culture

Tales of Ketty Jay

The Vorkosigan Saga

The Expanse (Daniel Abraham et al)

Does Wool count as sci-fi? Because if it does, I'd put it on the list of the board's most popular sci-fi.

Does Wool count as sci-fi? Because if it does, I'd put it on the list of the board's most popular sci-fi.

Wool is more of a flavor of the month thing right now. And while the curiosity factor has been high the last few months, feedback from the board I have seen have been fairly mixed. Where as I am not sure I have ever seen anyone post negatively on Wooding's series or Culture (I am sure I have missed one or two, but in general feedback is positive).

I think GS's list hits it pretty good.

Just finished Dead Ever After, the final Sookie Stackhouse novel. I have enjoyed them, but I'm glad the series is finished. The ending was a little anticlimactic but it was a good book.

Wondering what to read next. Not sure what kind of thing I'm in the mood for.

Archived