What are you reading in June?

deleted01

Finished The Great Gatsby (apparently required reading for all our American boarders) and was entertained but unimpressed. (This is the great American novel?)

I read it in high school and just re-read it. I liked it a lot, but mainly because of the food for thought after I was done with it.

Currently reading Middlemarch. Good lord is it long! I don't mind long books, but this one is not grabbing me yet.

Finished The Handmaid's Tale. Wonderful book. I think it certainly deserves all the praise it gets.

Now reading Abaddon's Gate and then I'll be into Siege and Storm.

Finished Wool #1 and I'm starting Wool #2. I'm also reading Shakedown by Charlie Stella.

This month our book club is reading the Wool omnibus. I'm almost to the end of section 4 and REALLY liking it.

I started Caliban's War today. The familiar jolting sensation of a sequel with a new cast of characters (it always takes me a bit to warm up to the idea), but so far it's interesting. Granted, I'm only about 2 chapters in!

I started this a few months ago and just haven't had time to pick it up again, not that I don't want to. Read book 1 early this year and thought it was pretty good! I liked the fact that the 2 main characters we're such extreme opposing personalities and morals. I actually enjoy the fact that we're getting so many new characters in book 2, but still keeping a few that we already know.

Finally getting to The Disposessed by Ursula Leguin. Good, slow plot, interesting social ideas. She is very optimistic.

This is a great book. I love LeGuin, though I don't agree with all of her political stances. Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness? It's my all time fav of the Ekumen books. Really interesting take on gender politics.

I've finished the Dunk & Egg stories (from Dreamsongs, Legends 2, and Warriors 1), excellent as expected. I was already familiar with "The Way of the Cross and Dragon" and "Sandkings", I'm surprised "And Seven Times Never Kill Man" didn't win a Hugo as well.

In honor of Jack Vance, I've reread both the Cugel books. All time classics in two genres.

Next up: Gaiman's American Gods and a Dune series re-read. I've never read past God Emperor of Dune, are Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune worth reading?

Even though the Emperor's Edge series is getting pretty predictable, I still found Forged in Blood enjoyable. The last book is out in August and I'm really looking forward to the conclusion.

Started Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold this morning.

This is a great book. I love LeGuin, though I don't agree with all of her political stances. Have you read The Left Hand of Darkness? It's my all time fav of the Ekumen books. Really interesting take on gender politics.

Next up: Gaiman's American Gods and a Dune series re-read. I've never read past God Emperor of Dune, are Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune worth reading?

I love The Left Hand of Darkness. I have often wished that all people had the gift of only dealing with sexuality for 10 day stretches with very long breaks in between. What I love about Leguin's premises is how far she takes her thinking about the consequences. Following her mind as she goes deep is great fun, even if I believe her consequences are too hopeful for the human race. (She DOES live in Portland, OR LOL).

I really liked Chapterhouse, Duncan is there. I had a long, detailed conversation with a Dune fanatic friend of mine about the "new" Dune books. He told me to take a good, long, break from Herbert's books and THEN start them. He said they were good if you saw them as a different kind of story. Has anyone else read these? I'm almost out of book here.

I have way too many books on my Google Books shelf and I've yet to read most of them.

I've started Casual Vacancy and The Mongoliad: Book Two and have stopped reading them both, don't know why.

What I will start now and finish will be The Painted(Warded) Man though, however I did start reading American Gods a few weeks ago.

Update: I started The Painted Man and it is absolutely the bomb!

Started A Betrayal in Winter. This better be good, board, or my vengeance will be terrible.

Did you read the first book? If you did, you should know what you're getting into. If you didn't, why are you starting the series with the second book?

Started A Betrayal in Winter. This better be good, board, or my vengeance will be terrible.

Yeah, I read Shadow in Summer and was simultaneously impressed and bored. I feel like I ought to move on to the next book, but I haven't gotten around to it and it's been almost a year.

Currently reading the Donnie Brasco memoir about infiltrating the Mafia. Good so far.

Did you read the first book? If you did, you should know what you're getting into. If you didn't, why are you starting the series with the second book?

I recently did read the first book, and was confused about the strongly positive reviews by many trusted denizens of this board. They took a pose of claiming that the series improves dramatically.

“Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.”

I recently did read the first book, and was confused about the strongly positive reviews by many trusted denizens of this board. They took a pose of claiming that the series improves dramatically.

“Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.”

That makes sense. I would generally agree with that. Although if you really didn't like the first book, I don't know that your opinion of the series will dramatically turn around after the second.

Archived