Original Reactons to the Purple Wedding

We have a co-worker that was reading and was on book three, stopped for a while after the RW, and then informed the rest of us that have read all 5, that they just finished PW. I think for awhile they were so upset by RW, they had to pause and halt their reading a bit.

I can only compare it to a small child that draws a picture with crayons and gets praised by a ranting grandparent when they shared this.

They were SO happy....they fist pumped and did a James Brown like dance over what they must have imagined was Joffrey's grave when they told us. The joy they had that the little shit was dead. It was hilarious.

It was great. And we were waiting for them to catch up with us in the series.

And another testament to GRRM's writing, that you can get people to feel so many, different strong emotions about his characters.

I was glad Joff was gone but it was funny later when we figure that it was a Tyrell that killed him and the new queen Margeary was crying (fake or Bs, you decide) and Garland was trying to help Joff. I hated that Sansa got blamed for it and was now a fugitive. Joff is still tormenting her, even after his death. However, Cercie's suffering was the most satisfying of the whole thing. Her paranoia took a huge leap after that one.

I felt sorry for Joff but also elated/cathartic. I can't really remember how I felt about Cersei because she's not full on crazy-evil yet at that stage and obviously upon reflection now that I've read the rest of the series it's hard not to have my reaction to Cersei tainted by how she is later.

Tyrion and Sansa taking the blame was sort of inevitable so it didn't faze me nearly so much as Tyrion's false bloody confession to Jaime during his escape :bang:

There is no word in the English language to describe how thrilled I was, especially after the RW and that whole scene about making Sansa kiss Robb's head. Definitely more satisfying than the Mountains death scene, I was thrilled with that one too, right up til the end.

It came as a complete surprise to me. Just prior to the PW I was really concerned about Sansa getting the hell out of KL. During the PW (and the morning of) Joff was in complete dick mode and I was really getting worried about Tyrion's safety. So when Joff started coughing I thought it was the pie...

It was cathartic to have Joff die at his own wedding feast after the events of the RW. As for the manner of his death, having your throat close completely shut as you claw at your neck gasping for air seems like a pretty horrific way to die, if you ask me. Besides, I never was a big Robb fan so the RW, while shocking, never quite affected me like it did some here.

when he started choking I jumped up from my seat and started to dance, I was so happy.

then when he started reaching for Tyrion I sort of felt bad because I thought he was reaching out to Tyrion for help. He might have been pointing in an attempt to accuse Tyrion (I love how GRRM doesn't say exactly what Joff's hand gesture was) but I'd like to think that in his final moments he was so scared to die that he thought of Tyrion as the only person in the world that could actually help him in some way. the whole purple wedding is my favorite scene in the entire series.

I also loved Sansa's escape, how she ran away in the crowd, I can totally see that fat knight guy grabbing her by the hand and losing themselves in the crowd. the bird symbolism and the fear of heights was great. the bells ringing as Sansa is in the row boat just felt so damn sad, all she could hear were the bells and the sound of the waves, a very solemn and mournful scene. the fact that Sansa isn't actually happy makes her character even more beautiful, she doesn't take pleasure in other people's pain and misfortune like Cersei does. I had a whole new respect for Sansa after that.

I thought the Purple Wedding was actually more dramatic than the Red Wedding. It was horrifying for Tyrion and Sansa because I feared for their safety, but it was also obviously very satisfying to see that little prick Joffrey die a slow, painful death. I thought GRRM built up a great crescendo of emotions leading up to the poisoning because Joffrey was actually like an exceptionally arrogant fool, even more so than usual....insulting Sansa in front of Tyrion, splitting Tyrion's wedding gift with his sword and then revealing that it was he who sent the catspaw to kill Bran in his sick bed. The moment that turd started choking and clawing for his throat was a definitely "OMG!!!" moment.

The best moments however was afterward when it's revealed that Littlefinger and Olenna was behind the whole thing and Sansa/Tyrion's daring escapes. The whole episode made for great drama and I know Season Four of the show is going to be epic because of all this. Even better than the Red Wedding.

I have a feeling that it is also one of those moments that will actually translate better on screen than on page. It's one thing to read about someone choking to death and quite another to see it happen in live color. Everyone who's going to be involved with this scene are Grade A actors from Jack Gleeson to Lena Headey so I'm really looking forward to it. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be both cheering it on but also feel a little guilty about what they just witnessed given the description of Joffrey reverting back to a scared little boy reaching out for his mother.

Archived