GRRM on Conan O’Brien Tonight

Westeros

Charles Dance was told by a fan sometime during the first season that his character will die. Dance's quote was something along the lines of the fan telling him he can't wait to see Tywin's death because it's so great or something.

What an awful fan!

The true story (you can listen to it via YouTube) was that a fan approached Charles Dance and asked "do you know how Tywin dies?" and Dance surprisingly entertained the question, to which the book-reader let him know of his unfortunate demise.

woah a clip from the video of me filming my friend's reaction to the RW was in there, lol. wasn't expecting to see that. pretty interesting interview. I hope "very fast" actually means very fast. -.-

You showed your friend that she featured in Conan O'Brien? I'm sure she is thrilled haha.

I think it's

Ygritte.

Never mind, she's read the books!

I thought at the time , the Red Carpet party in LA that George said that the character was already dead by season's end.

I thought that was odd. Because it would mean a book reader who knows what happens to the character, so: So was it Rose Leslie or Sibel Kekilli ? Ep 10. coming up and is there time for the skirmish at Castle Black? Or is that next year. It just does not seem Rose would do that since she has so much class and I am sure is in demand right now. (I didn't exactly like Ygritte in the books but Rose changed all that, so maybe she lasts until next year? I can see Sibel Kekilli being the one since it that well be several episodes into season 4.

When George said he was speaking to 3 characters who were already dead I , and he has mentioned it before, I felt he was speaking of the show, I am guessing one was Esmé Bianco but don't know who the other two where. Could of been Amrita Acharia and Roxanne McKee. I say that because some actors who were at the Red Carpet party, Jacob Anderson and Dan Hildebrand , were not on the Red Carpet ... never found out who the heck was at the party. For instance I saw an interview with Ben Hawkey (Hot Pie) who I did not expect to see, kind of a lost video. The cameras were feasting on the glamor actresses. Tho if you watch the Red Carpet thing you'll see one actress being interviewed by somebody, and off to the side

Carice van Houten and then later only short footage of Carice....

Like George said he either knew or met characters he did not kill off , for instance Amrita Acharia , Irri, who for instance is still with us , and two other Dothraki hand maidens and her blood riders.

That was a great interview. My heart leaped a little when he said that he's writing "very fast." I've read that before, but hearing it made me pleased. Don't expect TWoW to be out any sooner, but still... I'm at work, I need something to be happy about for the next 7 hours.

I like it how George never falters when people bring up only the show to him. "We're all huge fans of the show", but no mention of the books at all in that respect. Not even a flinch. I suppose he's used to it by now, but all the same, even I flinch a little when people say they only like the show. He's so appreciative of anyone and everyone being a fan of his story and it's one of the things I really like about his character.

That was a great interview. My heart leaped a little when he said that he's writing "very fast." I've read that before, but hearing it made me pleased. Don't expect TWoW to be out any sooner, but still... I'm at work, I need something to be happy about for the next 7 hours.

I like it how George never falters when people bring up only the show to him. "We're all huge fans of the show", but no mention of the books at all in that respect. Not even a flinch. I suppose he's used to it by now, but all the same, even I flinch a little when people say they only like the show. He's so appreciative of anyone and everyone being a fan of his story and it's one of the things I really like about his character.

I'm sure he knows the show fanbase will always be much bigger than the book one, simply because people watch a lot more TV than read books. Still, the book fanbase is big enough to satisfy him in that sense, he's mentioned that many times before the show began airing.

I'm sure he knows the show fanbase will always be much bigger than the book one, simply because people watch a lot more TV than read books. Still, the book fanbase is big enough to satisfy him in that sense, he's mentioned that many times before the show began airing.

Yes, yes, obviously he's aware of that. My point was simply that he is so gracious about it. If it were me, I don't think I'd be nearly that gracious. That's all I meant. I'm impressed by it, is all.

Yes, yes, obviously he's aware of that. My point was simply that he is so gracious about it. If it were me, I don't think I'd be nearly that gracious. That's all I meant. I'm impressed by it, is all.

If we were talking about season 1 here, this could be the case. By now GRRM knows perfectly well that there are many people who will never read the books, but still enjoy the show, and the show is still generating money for him and promoting his books, so no problem here. Also, he is not a newbie when it comes to TV and knows how it works. He has been doing interviews for years now and is aware that many of the actors haven't even read the books. TBH I think that he is actually rather happy - not many authors are as fortunate as GRRM when it comes to adaptations.

If we were talking about season 1 here, this could be the case. By now GRRM knows perfectly well that there are many people who will never read the books, but still enjoy the show, and the show is still generating money for him and promoting his books, so no problem here. Also, he is not a newbie when it comes to TV and knows how it works. He has been doing interviews for years now and is aware that many of the actors haven't even read the books. TBH I think that he is actually rather happy - not many authors are as fortunate as GRRM when it comes to adaptations.

I can't believe my comment about GRRM being gracious is actually being picked apart. No further comments!

the youtube video was taken down. Anyone know where i can watch it?

Go to Conan's website. It's listed there, the full episode. The commercial breaks are ticked in, so you can scroll ahead... GRRM is the second interview. Enjoy! :)

Archived