Should Robert have given Stannis the Iron Islands?

I was pondering the other day about how Stannis feels so cheated that Robert never rewarded Stannis for his efforts, and then it dawned on me why couldnt he of given Stannis lordship of the Iron Islands after Ballons first rebellion, Stannis is loyal, just, and able naval commander and has served Robert well, aswell Stannis' grit and determination to upholding the aw cold of of whipped the Iron Islanders into shape after a while.

what do you guys think the consequences would have been if Stannis had been gifted the Islands?

Stannis holding the Iron Islands would be like a Lannister holding the North, it can't be done.

Iron Islanders rule themselves, their leader has to be ironborn and he has to be accepted by the ironborn majority to rule.

Well, since Robert decided to spare Greyjoys, I can`t see how could he appointed Stannis as overlord of Iron Islands. The thing with Dragonstone is that all of Targaryens were exiled or dead.

It`s interesting idea, though. I think Balon wouldn`t dare to rebel for the second time, if Stannis controled him.

Maybe, just maybe he could hold them if he took a wife from one of the powerful Ironborn houses. The Harlaws would be the first choice but the Codds the most likely to cooperate.

Do we know when he married Selyse? I think it was before the Greyjoy war but I'm not sure.

Do we know when he married Selyse? I think it was before the Greyjoy war but I'm not sure.

1-2 years before the Greyjoy's Rebellion. Robert conceived Edric Storm around 288 AL in Stannis' wedding.

That's basically the only worse thing than giving him Dragonstone...

Dragonstone was traditionally given to the heir of the king. Stannis got more than he should received. If Robert had given Dragonstone to Joffrey and Storm's End to Tommen there would have been no War of 5 kings. Stannis and Renly could get small lands in the Stormlands.

If Stannis had the Iron Islands he would probably die putting down the tenth rebellion since he received the Lordship. Either he raises the islands to the ground or he has to leave. Robert should have taken all the Greyjoy heads except Theon and Asha though.

the Greyjoys completely disposed of or just Balon dead and Stannis acting as Lord protector until Theon comes of age. I just thought it was interesting idea having Stannis the ultimate law man controlling the Iron Born the lawless vikings of westeros

Stannis is a truly just man he'll constantly be beheading men.

Stannis holding the Iron Islands would be like a Lannister holding the North, it can't be done.

Iron Islanders rule themselves, their leader has to be ironborn and he has to be accepted by the ironborn majority to rule.

:agree:

Dragonstone was traditionally given to the heir of the king. Stannis got more than he should received. If Robert had given Dragonstone to Joffrey and Storm's End to Tommen there would have been no War of 5 kings. Stannis and Renly could get small lands in the Stormlands.

If Stannis had the Iron Islands he would probably die putting down the tenth rebellion since he received the Lordship. Either he raises the islands to the ground or he has to leave. Robert should have taken all the Greyjoy heads except Theon and Asha though.

I don't believe Joffrey and Tommen were born when the two holdings were parsed out. I understand it to have been right after Robert's Rebellion.

Bad idea. The Ironborn arent the type of people to follow someone who isnt one of them. Thats why Aegon let them choose the house they want to be their overlord, and that is why they will never except an outsider to rule them.

Archived