Bran warging Hodor

Spinebreaker

It's interesting that people hone in on one comparison only.

What if we were to say that warging Hodor was the equivalent of punching him in the jaw, and knocking him out?

After all, the result's the same... it would shut him up; it would knock him out; and he would be hurt by it.

Yet, for some reason, that's not one of the comparisons getting made. Why? Is it because it's not as shocking/controversial?

Let's see what waring Hodor means. It means taking Hodor's body and using it for your own desires against his will. It's an act that causes lots of mental scars and is possibly one of the greatest invasions of a person's privacy. What does it sound like to you?

Hodor is afraid, not angry or anything. Varamyr warging the bear which downright hated him was much more immoral than this, not even mentioning Thistle.

In life-saving situations, it is completely fine. It is like shoving someone violently to save him form car - it hurts him, but it saves him, and he would be idiot to complain.

It is immoral to do it to explore caves etc., especially since he has ravens there to do that for him, but as I mentioned before, it is not -that- evil.

Let's see what waring Hodor means. It means taking Hodor's body and using it for your own desires against his will. It's an act that causes lots of mental scars and is possibly one of the greatest invasions of a person's privacy. What does it sound like to you?

Yet Jedi do this all the time in Star Wars, and no one raises an eyebrow.

The Doctor does it in Doctor Who, and no one raises an eyebrow.

And I'm sure there are other examples, like the above, in sci-fi and fantasy, and no one raises an eyebrow.

So what does it sound like to me? I think it sounds like there's some pretty weird interpretations of things in the GoT community.

I think there's some pretty weird interpretations of things in the GoT community.

Even with the Jedi it is a dangerous slope. They try to only make mild suggestions, rather than direct mind control. Direct mind control is something very close to the darkside. However, Jedi are hardly the most moral people out there.

This is Martin's world and he clearly portrays it as a very bad act, just like say Tolkien and other writers.

So it's okay because he's mentally handicapped?

No, it's not "okay" and it's not because he is handicapped. It is "acceptable" and it is because he bears Bran no ill will. There is huge difference between being scared of something and between hating someone. My comparison between Hodor and a bear has nothing to do with his handicap either, I generally view all humans equal to other animals as far as morality is concerned (and in this aspect, I support animal rights, not deny human rights).

It's not that bad.

1) Bran's never told it's bad, and Hodor doesn't react as if it's anything more than just something new and confusing at first.

2) Even we as the readers don't know much about it so accepting it as "the worst thing ever" when we've only been told so briefly through 2 random characters in much different circumstances is foolish. - Varymyr was trying to take control of a person permanently and by force, not just temporarily.

3) It's possible it could progress to worse things (slippery slope argument), but it's more likely Bran will find a more effective method to accomplish what he was using Hodor for.

You can't consider the warging of Hodor as a single act, you need to put it in the larger context. Bran is fighting to save the living from the dead. Everything is justified because if they lose everyone will die. I suspect he'll have to do far worse before the story is finished.

You can't consider the warging of Hodor as a single act, you need to put it in the larger context. Bran is fighting to save the living from the dead. Everything is justified because if they lose everyone will die. I suspect he'll have to do far worse before the story is finished.

He wargs Hodor so he can explore the cave.

Bran is not a perfect person. He's a handicapped little boy with only the moral guidance he learned before the fall of Winterfell, trying to do a job far beyond his years. He's trying to be the person in charge here and it's weighing on him. So does the burden of saving the world. So he has a moral lapse or two. I like him better for it. He's more human. Don't mistake me - I do feel for Hodor, but we see lasting effects, and I think if Bran saw any lasting effects on Hodor he would stop.

Give the kid a break.

Bran is not a perfect person. He's a handicapped little boy with only the moral guidance he learned before the fall of Winterfell, trying to do a job far beyond his years. He's trying to be the person in charge here and it's weighing on him. So does the burden of saving the world. So he has a moral lapse or two. I like him better for it. He's more human. Don't mistake me - I do feel for Hodor, but we see lasting effects, and I think if Bran saw any lasting effects on Hodor he would stop.

Give the kid a break.

Warging another human is not just a moral lapse. Bran more than anyone has been trained and understood that Hodor is a human. I typed out the quotes in the other thread, but it was locked and I am not going to do so again. Just go and read the pages again. See how broken Hodor is. He is like a "whipped dog". Think of how horrific the torment must be for a grown man to lay down in fetal position.

ADwD takes place during 300AL, so he is at most 9 years old. Also, he may be well educated compared to the smallfolk, yes.

He's educated enough to understand what he's doing is wrong. He observes it himself, he cowes Hodor into submission and uses him. The times it's for the groups survival is one thing, but to do it purely out of curiosity?

What if we were to say that warging Hodor was the equivalent of punching him in the jaw, and knocking him out?

After all, the result's the same... it would shut him up; it would knock him out; and he would be hurt by it.

Yet, for some reason, that's not one of the comparisons getting made. Why? Is it because it's not as shocking/controversial?

What about this... What if Bran is getting Hodor to do things by using a massive whip? Whipping him until he achieves whatever it is Bran wants. It hurts Hodor, Bran knows it's wrong, but it saves the group and enables BRan to do some exploring. Does that make Bran's massive whip OK?

And I'm sure there are other examples, like the above, in sci-fi and fantasy, and no one raises an eyebrow.

So what does it sound like to me? I think it sounds like there's some pretty weird interpretations of things in the GoT community.

Doctor Who and Star Wars are both pretty low-brow entertainment. Dr. Who's a kids show. Neither are gonna deal with an issue like this in this fashion. EVER.

OK, everything is justified. I'll torture all the women and children on Westeros unless their men agree to join my army. Am I still the hero? I burn alive every baby on westeros to use blood magic to defeat the others, is that justified?

I think Bran'll have to do far worse too. Then again I doubt Bran is ending this series as a hero.

He can't explore the cave on his own.

Well that makes it OK then.

I can't afford the car I want on my own either, so I'll force someone to give me their money at knifepoint. - It's fine because I can't afford it on my own.

Have you read the books? Because that's where we are getting these "weird" interpretations.

In a series where magic is referred to as a "sword without a hilt" and warging into a man's mind is called an "abomination", one can't help but wonder if Bran has taken a dark turn in his story.

ETA: try to avoid calling the people in this part of the forum the "GoT community" :rolleyes:

Meh Hondor is not very useful other then his size, using him just so bran can walk is wrong but in a way brans presence in his head can clear up confusion and fear he has and can even help him use his strength more effectively. As long as he doesn't send him on a suicide mission I see no problem with it.

He can't explore the cave on his own.

Doesn't make it right to enslave someone to do it for you. Exploring the cave isn't necessary to his survival, and even if there is stuff in there that might be plot relevant, he has Meera, Jojen who can go and have a look, or he can just ask BR or the CotF. Moreover, he can warg Summer, who does consent to it and explore using him if he really needs to.

The only time when it's OK to warg Hodor against his will is when it's in Hodor's best interests for Bran to do so (generally speaking that means life and death situations or situations when they risk capture and Hodor can't be relied upon to do what's needed without Bran's intervention, although as somebody mentioned, one could make a case that it's acceptable to try and warg him in order to gain a better understanding of him given the problem with communication that would still be ethically dubious though, given the trauma involved). Not for shits and giggles

Archived