12 Major Plot Points to Anticipate in The Winds of Winter

garywest

Not in any particular order but these are my most anticipated plotlines and/or families I'm looking forward to in TWOW.

House Martell & Dorne

Stannis dying (or not) and the whatever else happens in the North at Winterfell

Sansa & Co at the Vale

Ser Barristan, Mereen, and Dany

Kings Landing, Cersei's Trial by Combat, & Margaery's Trial by Faith

And of course Jon Connington, & "Young Griff"

I guess I am looking forward to finding out what happens to Jon, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion, and Danny. I guess it's just me, but I have never cared what happens on the Iron Islands or down south in Dorne. None of their characters ever really grabbed my attention except Theon and Margery's grandmother. To be honest, I have mostly just skimmed through their chapters.

I think TWOW is Meereen's moment to shine. This Meereenesse thing has been hit hard repeatedly as boring as hell but finally, we're going to get some bloody action - hopefully, bloodier than Blackwater. :devil: Bring in the action Ser Barristan.

The Wall. The Wall. The Wall. What's up with Jon? I'm really eager to know if he's dead or not to end those resurrection theories that's keep popping left and right in the fandom. Yup, Martin said, "Oh, you think he's dead, do you?" which could give you a hopeful thought, "he's not." But he also saying, "didn't you think the text established why they would want to assassinate him?" and he intending that incident to happen "For many years" could also give you a thought, "he could be." Adding to that, his reason why he need to kill Ned and Robb: Yah think Ned the hero? Nah. Killed. Yah think Robb the avenger? Nah. Killed, too. He's right. "Fans are going to split and argue about it until the next book comes out." When is that? Anyway, I also want to know if the Others are finally going to blow the winds of winter to the entire continent of Westeros (and maybe Essos, too - don't want to be left out of the heart pumpin' actions).

Daenerys' long-lost-nephew-thought-to-be-dead-but-is-actually-alive is waiting for his lost auntie to come to Westeros. Whether be it a sweet or bitter reunion, Dance with Dragons 2.0 sounds more like the latter. Not sure if this thing be in the WOW, but some POVs and characters are needed to be out of the picture, so fingers crossed. If not, see yah in Dream of Spring.

Im looking forward to these POV characters (in this order):

1. Ban.

2. Jon.

3. Daenerys.

4. Barristan.

4. Theon (Only because he informs us on Stannis).

I really cant wait to see the resolution to (no particular order):

1. Battle of Mereen.

2. Battle of Winterfell.

3. Bran's greenseer training.

4. The impact of Jon's murder and what happens at the Wall between the Night's Watch, Wildings and King's/Queen's men.

A great read, I had never heard that Izembaro/Tobho Mott theory before!

I for one cannot wait for Winds, every single story thread is primed to explode... I hadn't read the books until after Season 1 (now read them twice), so this is the first time I've had to endure the wait!

Just curious, were expectations this high for any of the previous books??

just reading this has made me realize that there are way to many plotlines, and I'm not terrified that GRRM will have to split it again like he did in FfC and DwD.

oh no.

Arcs I really want to see:

1. Jon Snow. anything Jon Snow.

2. Dany to make some move to get to Westeros or for Arya or another FM to kill her because there's just too much controversy around her!

3. Davos and Rickon - reading those Davos chapters in DwD were just really great and when reading them, it felt like something EPIC was about to happen

4. Sansa in the Vale - I think that I'm looking forward to this the most out of everything. Sansa is a great character

5. Jaime and Brienne - will she kill him? turn him in to LS? the world may never know

Things that have been set up but really haven't gone very far and I want them to end:

1. Sam in Oldtown - it has great potential, but honestly, becoming a maester in 2 books? ain't no body got time fo' that!

2. Aegon - just everything Aegon bothers me. it's far too convenient and it messes everything up

3. Dany with those dothraki dudes. unless they ind her and immediately give her a ride back to Meereen and she pulls her head out of her ass and uses that Iron Fleet, I think it's highly unnecessary

And please don't get me wrong, I really would love to read Sam chapters and figure out how he will use those candles to stop the WW, but i just don't think it will be as good as it could be because GRRM has to get us to the IT and more importantly, get someone good on it.

Excellent article -- thanks for posting!

Aside from wanting to know Jon's status, I am most anxious to get back to Bran and Bloodraven. That aspect of the story really fascinates me and I assume that when we go farther North of the Wall than we've gone before (as GRRM has promised), Bran and BR will be involved. Also can't wait to see what happens with Arya. I love all things Bran and Arya!

Lower on the list but still important to me is what happens with Jaime, Brienne and Lady Stoneheart, and what kind of intrigue is cooking at the Citadel with Sam and the FM.

Lastly, I could not have said this any better myself:

The Greyjoys saga needs to end. Who cares about them? I hope Damphair and Euron kill each other and Victorian dies blowing the horn and that will be all wrapped up quickly.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

I've had the exact same hope about Victarion and the horn! I hate that guy.

I have been waiting not so patiently for one storyline, The North.

That includes Jon and The Battle for Winterfell. Is he alive is he dead? Will the Wildlings smuggle him out and join Stannis in Winterfell? How will Stannis win? Who wrote the pink letter? Have the others already started attacking?

It's all so rich.

Other than the major cliff hangars... (Dany an Jogo, Jon and the stabbing, Battle of Mereen) Im most interested in

The Citadel/FM connection.. (one, i dont think, has even been confirmed.) All the speculation, i cant wait too see what is is really going on.

The Faith Militant. I think this group will come to represent all the smallfolk who have been getting caught up in the high lords' Game.

Jamie--- I think he dies early in WoW. He's running out of apparent usefulness to the story. His death could be what finally drives Cersie over the edge (my pic for the first major character suicide)

Thanks for the link OP!

Here's a quick hit for me in no particular order:

1 Bran the Man (past, present, future...Hear me...raven squawk?)

2 Mannis v dbags (Bolton and Frey)

3 The Consumate Knight (Selmy)

4 Die One Eye! (Ur ish ain't my thing)

5 POV Massacre (Less is More)

6 LordtoFattoRideaHorsebutLovesFreyPie (the Castle within v the Castle without)

7 Glamour Girl (whatchoo hiding v whatchoo doing)

8 Dornish Hens (play big or stay home)

9 Reread hero (Jaime reminds me of someone I'm fond of...)

10 Sweet-n-Sansa (who flies like a birdie?)

11 Hizdarwhoisitgivesashizznit (babye knotsymizzharpster greenbunnyemzok?)

12 Baby it's Cold Outside (In since prologue 1....are we there yet? 132671 psges...Too soon?)

And please don't get me wrong, I really would love to read Sam chapters and figure out how he will use those candles to stop the WW, but i just don't think it will be as good as it could be because GRRM has to get us to the IT and more importantly, get someone good on it.

I think that the throne has always been a bit of a red herring, so many people that have tried to get it have ended up being bumped off, or having their illusions about it shattered(Sansa). The main interest for me is the restoration of House Stark, and it is going to take a herculean feat of writing to make that realistic from the position they are in now. whether Dany takes the throne or not I can not make my mind up about yet, but she does not really fit into current Kings Landing political society any more than she does in Mereen. If she is to be queen, she will have a lot of cleaning house to do. Of course most of the people that she needs to get rid of are people that the readers would not really miss anyway, Freys, tyrells, Lannisters, Baelish, and Varys?

Also, Sam does not need to become a full Maester yet, just learn enough to defeat the others. he can carry on his training once they have been defeated, if they are, and if the wall is rebuilt and remanned.

I am very interested in finding out what's going on at the Citadel. There appears to be a lot happening behind the scenes. With Sam there, hopefully some light will be shed on the actions of the Maesters.

And...

8 Dornish Hens (play big or stay home)

We always play big!! :D

First: Meereen and Winterfell, get those sorted out

Second: Wall and Jon, maybe the Others finally come.

Third: Cersei's trial and Faegon's battle

Fourth: Dany finally getting her ass to Westeros

Fifth: New King in the North Jon versus Night's King Stannis while Dany fights Aegon

Sixth: Euron and the Reach, Sam, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Blackfish, Jaime/ Stoneheart

I wanna see all those fleshed out, not particularly in that order. The rest can kinda go in a ditch.

1.- Jon's betrayal + possible attack by the others + shit hitting the fan

2.-Branraven the tree

3.-arya's creed

4.-Stannis the mannis VS. the Boltons/Freys

5.-Oldtown with Sam the wizard

6.-Untying of the Meerenese knot

7.-LS and Jaime

8.-KL Trials

9.-The comming of Rickon the cannibalistic Stark

10.-Sansa's endeavors

11.-Faegon and Dorne (-)+(-)=(+)

12.-the ascension of Pod the Sexgod to heaven

Kill the boy and let the man be born.

-Maester Aemon

My only contributing guesses: Somehow the Blackfish will end up rescuing Jamie Lannister from LS, and the two of them will go into the Vale with Brienne while the outlaws continue to kill Freys. And, though I know it's been mentioned many times before, that Sandor Clegane will fight for the Faith against Ser Robert Strong and defeat him (Cersei's valonqar=the little brother).

Archived