Americanisms

mankytoes

I pronounce parmesan and croissant correctly (as per their original languages) and get funny looks. One friend of mine used to say "parmesian", in contrast to the standard American "parma-zhan". And I have only rarely met another American who can pronounce "Worcestershire".

Most of the people I grew up with knew how to pronounce it, but that's probably because I was raised in Massachusetts and our second largest city is Worcester. I was pretty shocked to hear all the butchered variations when I lived in other parts of the country.

Soooooooo good.

I have up a long time ago trying to pronounce scotch correctly.

Glenmorangie, laphroig, etc.

I don't know how to say it, i just know it's delicious.

This website is pretty good for pronunciations (though I'm not sure even they're 100% correct) - http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/pronounc.html

How about how we say aluminum?

I actually prefer the British pronunciation in terms of aesthetics. Same for "advertisement."

It was funny the other day when me and my girlfriend put the same picture up on Instagram. My caption was "Me and Sharnelle" and hers was "Robert and I". It made me think of this thread.

I don't think anyone expects perfect grammar on instagram. Now if my lawyer did something like this we'd have a problem.

I think I read recently that saying 'Robert and I' is grammatical overcorrection and that 'Robert and me' is perfectly OK.

Robert and me is correct as a direct or indirect object. "She recommended A Game of Thrones to Robert and me."

Robert and I is correct as a subject.

"Robert and I read A Game of Thrones."

A picture with a caption could imply (This is a picture of) Robert and me.

or

Robert and I (stood here and had our picture taken)

Robert and me is correct as a direct or indirect object. "She recommended A Game of Thrones to Robert and me."

or

This

or

Oxford says thank you.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me

It was funny the other day when me and my girlfriend put the same picture up on Instagram. My caption was "Me and Sharnelle" and hers was "Robert and I". It made me think of this thread.

Lord Baelish, why does your girlfriend refer to you as "Robert?"

Is it part of another nefarious plot you have planned? :P

Happy Fourth of July, Limey bastards! 237 years that we've been free of your poxy empire. Though I believe your history books would say 230, as you start from the year King George III "recognized" that we had kicked your asses (with considerable help from the French, to be fair).

While re-reading the Declaration of Independence today I was surprised by the number of words and prhases that reminded me of ASOIAF: "among the powers of the earth"; "usurpations"; "disposed to suffer"; "transporting large Armies of foriegn Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny".

Happy Fourth of July, Limey bastards! 237 years that we've been free of your poxy empire. Though I believe your history books would say 230, as you start from the year King George III "recognized" that we had kicked your asses (with considerable help from the French, to be fair).

Silly Englishmen and their mad kings ha. I watched Jon Adams on HBO today and when he was trying to gather votes to sever British ties I just kept hoping someone would pull a GreatJon "Bugger this pansy king and his comfy european throne. What do they know of the states. All bow to George Washington, President of the United States!!!" Although it wasn't as glamorous of a declaration, overall I think it worked out a little better.

For the OP: Is there any culture where ser is a thing? Or did GRRM just pull that out of his ass.

here in America a lot of men use it on women to try to demean us or make us feel almost ashamed of our gender. Personally I don't take offense since only men trying to get in my pants that have failed have called me a cunt. Really using genitalia as an attack has always seemed funny to me. You call me a cunt because I won't let you play with mine? Well, good luck getting my pants now!

The fuck are you on about?

Mully to Jon,ADWD,-"Girl was blue from the cold,shivering like all get out,so Ty wanted Clydas to have a look at her."

Now that's an americanism,and a modern one at that.

Regarding "corn"... from AFFC:

"Shifting the books, Sam thrust his arm into the sack beside the door and came out with a handful of kernals..." (raven pricks his hand and Sam drops them) "... the raven took to the air again and yellow and red kernals went everywhere..."

... sounds a lot like sweetcorn to me. Also, barleycorn is mentioned at one point as well (though I can't find the reference right now) which makes me think that he would distinguish other grains when referencing a more general corn.

Archived