Kraken?

WidoW101MakeR

I have been waiting for the Horn that sound the kraken to be blown, hell I even thought for a quick min that the Ironborn king was killed by the kraken takin out the walkway. Since I have yet to see this monster I would like to speculated what it looks like and if the horn will ever be blown, and by who.

To start: Could this beast be a giant squid or will it look more like the tooth and nail monster in other movies like Jason and theArgonauts?

- Has this horn ever been blown in the past? Is it bonded to the horns blower? Or is it more blow the horn and get the hell outta the way?

- is the horn givin to the greyjoy outside Danys city actually a cruel joke that will summon the kraken and destroy his fleet?

The horn given to Victarion Greyjoy (now outside Mereen, or thereabouts) is supposedly to summon a dragon.

The only reference to a kraken not meaning a Greyjoy I remember is when Varys tells the small council one has been sighted somewhere, just before he mentions dragons in Essos and Cersei then cuts him off, not taking him seriously.

I think there is a further mention of krakens, but can't remember it...

From SSM, an interview with Asshai.com Interview in Barcelona, July 28, 2012:

There's a story in the books about a horn that can raise krakens from the deep. Will we ever see a kraken?

(Martin looks surprised by the question.) Possibly.

I think it was Lord Celtigar that has the horne that can awake Kraken's from the sea.

"“Claw Isle was but lightly garrisoned, its castle reputedly stuffed with Myrish carpets, Volantene glass, gold and silver plate, jeweled cups, magnificent hawks, an axe of Valyrian steel, a horn that could summon monsters from the deep, chests of rubies, and more wines than a man could drink in a hundred years.”"

"“The old pirate wagged a finger at him. “Forgiving, yes. Forgetting, no. All that good gold on Claw Isle that might have been mine, it makes me old and tired to think of it. When I die impoverished, my wives and concubines will curse you, Onion Lord. Lord Celtigar had many fine wines that now I am not tasting, a sea eagle he had trained to fly from the wrist, and a magic horn to summon krakens from the deep. Very useful such a horn would be, to pull down Tyroshi and other vexing creatures. But do I have this horn to blow? No, because the king made my old friend his Hand."

"The eunuch drew a parchment from his sleeve. “A kraken has been seen off the Fingers.”

He giggled. “Not a Greyjoy, mind you, a true kraken. It attacked an Ibbenese whaler and

pulled it under. There is fighting on the Stepstones, and a new war between Tyrosh and

Lys seems likely. Both hope to win Myr as ally. Sailors back from the Jade Sea report

that a three-headed dragon has hatched in Qarth, and is the wonder of that city—"

So i assume it's still on Claw Isle.

And considering the Varys passage was all true information, and he mentions a giant Kraken, i will assume that it's also true information.

I think that Varys mentioning the kraken being seen in AGoT to mislead the small council on the dragon issue was also placed there for the readers. Where the readers were supposed to dismiss it as a lie, but actually it was foreshadowing :ninja:

I think that Varys mentioning the kraken being seen in AGoT to mislead the small council on the dragon issue was also placed there for the readers. Where the readers were supposed to dismiss it as a lie, but actually it was foreshadowing :ninja:

This is a good question, because the rest of the info Varys brought to the council was all true, one has to wonder why he'd lie about a giant Kraken.

This is a good question, because the rest of the info Varys brought to the council was all true, one has to wonder why he'd lie about a giant Kraken.

To make them dismiss dragons as a lie.

I actually think that there was a rumour of the kraken indeed and Varys did not even have to make it up. But the board had weighed me down by not believing :D So now I am simply saying that it could have been a clue to the readers either way.

I'd friggin' love to see a kraken.

The horn given to Victarion Greyjoy (now outside Mereen, or thereabouts) is supposedly to summon a dragon.

That horn is seemingly from Valyria. It's not a Greyjoy relic or the Iron Islands would never have fallen under Targaryan sway.

If there IS a magic horn that could call a Kraken, man would that be badass...

To make them dismiss dragons as a lie.

I actually think that there was a rumour of the kraken indeed and Varys did not even have to make it up. But the board had weighed me down by not believing :D So now I am simply saying that it could have been a clue to the readers either way.

Wow, you know i never saw it that way.

That is totally a Varys-style move.

But, considering Dragons exist, rumors of dinosaurs, the Others, wigts, etc...i wouldn't rule out Krakens being real either

They better exist. And before the end of the series, someone better yell "Release the Kraken" and summon one.

Actually, I suspect this might be the purpose of Aeron's character.

Also, didn't Arya and the Hound encountered a giant squid or something similar when they were trying to cross a river? May be this creature is what Varys was talking about. It's probably smaller than a kraken, but they could be related...

If there is a kraken I'm thinking it will be something like a giant squid on steroids and it might be possibly warged by Bran to bring down Euron or Euron has found some way to control it through researching his heritage through the Grey King

Actually, I suspect this might be the purpose of Aeron's character.

Also, didn't Arya and the Hound encountered a giant squid or something similar when they were trying to cross a river? May be this creature is what Varys was talking about. It's probably smaller than a kraken, but they could be related...

IIRC it was an uprooted stump that reminded Arya of a Kraken.

IIRC it was an uprooted stump that reminded Arya of a Kraken.

Really? You must be right. I barely remember that part of the books. Plus, I thought those Arya chapters where she was traveling were kind of boring, so I probably wasn't paying too much attention. Haha, that would explain why I hadn't seen any posts in the forums discussing it, I thought that was kind of weird.

:)

We're yet to see the Drowned God in action. I've had hidden (crackpot) wish of Theon killed by Stannis man(Fire god) in frozen lake by drowning as an insult to the Drowned God. Only to see him being reincarnated and healed off his wound by waters and powers of DG himself.

Archived