Is Ned given to much credit on his honor

The Black Hawk

I am one of the biggest Ned Stark fans out there but I think people give him to much credit about his honor saying he would never sleep with another woman while marry to Cat. It is ignored that he married Cat and he didn't even know her yet and that we know he loved Ashara. I think people need to realize that this man cheated on his wife and GRRM makes his character not like this guy is totally good or totally bad he keeps them in the middle and why there is no good or bad side. He says he betrayed Catelyn and people say that he betrayed her by lying no He would have told his wife about Jon's parents if it didn't even hurt her like everyone keeps secrets from they love ones when we don't want to hurt them. For all we know Jon could be Brandon's kid and Ned didn't want to tell her because she loved him

I am one of the biggest Ned Stark fans out there but I think people give him to much credit about his honor saying he would never sleep with another woman while marry to Cat. It is ignored that he married Cat and he didn't even know her yet and that we know he loved Ashara. I think people need to realize that this man cheated on his wife and GRRM makes his character not like this guy is totally good or totally bad he keeps them in the middle and why there is no good or bad side. He says he betrayed Catelyn and people say that he betrayed her by lying no He would have told his wife about Jon's parents if it didn't even hurt her like everyone keeps secrets from they love ones when we don't want to hurt them. For all we know Jon could be Brandon's kid and Ned didn't want to tell her because she loved him

/sigh/ This again?

The first time we see Ned hes cutting off the head of a man we know to be innocent (or at least having a good reason to desert the Night's Watch). My point is that even though Ned is a good gut hes still gray.

This. Ned does what he believes to be the honourable and just thing to do, but that isn't always the right thing.

This. Ned does what he believes to be the honourable and just thing to do, but that isn't always the right thing.

Actually, I disagree here. Ned commits one treason and publicly admits committing another because it's the right thing to do. He puts the right thing above honor. The problem is simply that this man tella a really unbelievable story - if someone told you there were zombies somewhere and he had no credible evidence, would you believe them?

Actually, I disagree here. Ned commits one treason and publicly admits committing another because it's the right thing to do. He puts the right thing above honor. The problem is simply that this man tella a really unbelievable story - if someone told you there were zombies somewhere and he had no credible evidence, would you believe them?

Ah, Reapers Others... We have dismissed the claim :D

But, really, to Ned, it was only mad rambling of a man who left his post.

and that we know he loved Ashara.

He may have been attracted to Ashara at one point (Harrenhal) but it was Brandon who got her with child, not Ned.

And the reason he doesn't tell Cat about Jon being Lyanna's is probably because part of his promise to Lyanna was to keep Jon's parentage a secret and not tell anyone else. If he told Cat then he'd be breaking his promise to Lyanna's final wish.

Imagine a soldier told you he went AWOL because he was being chased by dinosaurs. Would you let him go?

In The North if you desert the Nights Watch the penalty is death, you swore a vow to protect the realms of men. I know White Walkers havent been seen for years but you know they did exist and it is your job to fight them. For that you lose your head simple as that. IMO Ned was doing the honorable and right thing executing deserters but thats just me. If you dont execute deserters then everyone would just desert the NW especially how now there are basically no knights in the NW nothing but a bunch of rapers and thieves.

I think Ned is a fool not to have taken Renly' s offer while saying his goodbyes to Robert at his deathbed. He knew what the Lannisters had done, and what they are capable off. He knew shit was going to go down and Casterly Rock raised their banners. He knew Cersei wasn't going anywhere and when morning came, the realm would believe Joffrey the rightful king.

I said it; a fool. An honorable fool. I personally felt nothing when he was beheaded, the only thing interesting about him was the secrets regarding Jon. Why people love him, is because he is the 'good guy' and the 'dad of the year'.

Well, putting your honor and principles over the fact that lying to your wife, causing her and also the bastard pain, is no noble act. And again; putting your honor over the safety of your daughters, while war is upon you and you have the power to seize it and capture the queen and her children, to ensure immediate safety for yourself and your daughters, is no noble act.

In later books, all people do is compliment the memory of Ned, being such an honorable man. Well, I believe him to be a naive man. Good riddance! There, I said it.

Edit: well ofcourse I felt sympathy for the poor daughters, having to watch their father losing his head, but that was about it.

In The North if you desert the Nights Watch the penalty is death, you swore a vow to protect the realms of men. I know White Walkers havent been seen for years but you know they did exist and it is your job to fight them. For that you lose your head simple as that. IMO Ned was doing the honorable and right thing executing deserters but thats just me. If you dont execute deserters then everyone would just desert the NW especially how now there are basically no knights in the NW nothing but a bunch of rapers and thieves.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but we know dinosaurs existed and have been dead for a long time. We are in agreement, Ned did nothing wrong and to say it grays his character is just wrong.

The first time we see Ned hes cutting off the head of a man we know to be innocent (or at least having a good reason to desert the Night's Watch). My point is that even though Ned is a good gut hes still gray.

Well, the guy did desert from the Night Watch and this is punishable by death, no matter the circumstances. (In his blog Yeade argues, that Jon Snow is not deserting from the watch, because he has to deal with a threat that could destroy the Nights Watch and intents to go back as soon as this threat is dealt with).

Fact is, the NW-man, that Ned beheads has left the wall without leave of his LC and for all purposes does not intend to return to his post, so even if Ned would believe his story about the whitewalkers, he is a deserter.

Additionally, for Ned, who does not have our knowledge, the story really sounds like some lie.

Archived