Bothersome Inconsistencies/Plot Holes

Dinenziliel

I may need to re-read ADWD but I distinctly remember Jon Connington remembering how during the Battle of the Bells Robert almost killed him on the steps of the sept. However, in ASOS when Harwin describes the battle to Arya he says that the battle never brought the two together. Sure, Harwin might not be the most reliable of storytellers.

Has anyone really answered this? Sounds like a very good point to me, and a true inconsistency/gaffe.

Wouldn't it be terrific if GRRM would ask a few of us to proof his next 2 books? Imagine the confidentiality ceremony to insure our silence! There are a few typos in ADwD--signs that he & his people may have been sleep deprived or worn out.

It is answered two posts above the question. Ned doesn't say anything about Jamie inheriting CR just that he will succeed as Warden of the West.

“Kingslayer,” Ned said. The rumors were true, then. He rode on dangerous ground now, he knew. “An able and courageous man, no doubt,” he said carefully, “but his father is Warden of the West, Robert. In time Ser Jaime will succeed to that honor. No one man should hold both East and West.” He left unsaid his real concern; that the appointment would put half the armies of the realm into the hands of Lannisters.

Stephen King had a woman with no legs fall to her knees, once, and after that I'll forgive a lot.

Dude, I remember being confused as hell when that happened too. However, as much as I love The Dark Tower, Susannah's whole thread minus the pregnancy was pretty shitty anyway. And yes, I know this is a ASOIAF board, just had to comment

I have to wonder though how he was bound by the neck that it was just out of reach of his hands. Maybe if he held the cord and his neck in place with his hands and tried to use his legs instead to knock it onto the floor/closer to himself? I dunno, just spitballing.

Sounds like some medieval contraption where he was bound in such a way that the struggle to get free- or in this case get the sword- would lead to ones own death

It kind of bothered me that Tyrion started out being quite acrobatic. Then gets troubled with leg cramps all the time. But I'm not a doctor or anything...so it might be legitimate.

GRRM commented on this in an interview admitting that he did not know about the physical limitations that accompanied dwarfism when he wrote AGOT. He later corrected this error in the subsequent books.

I may need to re-read ADWD but I distinctly remember Jon Connington remembering how during the Battle of the Bells Robert almost killed him on the steps of the sept. However, in ASOS when Harwin describes the battle to Arya he says that the battle never brought the two together. Sure, Harwin might not be the most reliable of storytellers.

Bells and battle followed, and Robert emerged from his brothel with a blade in hand, and almost slew Jon on the steps of the old sept ...

The Griffin Reborn

Yea, I noticed this too. I also notice that GrrM likes giving vague and slightly inconsistent accounts of some other battles (like Blackwater) so this isn't necessarily a slip. Connington is to be believed of course, above Harwin.

I have posted this before in a small things that annoy thread but i think its more of a plot hole.

The deserter from the NW in the aGoT prologue reaches Winterfell after deserting the NW NORTH of the wall. Which means he either went through castle black or scaled the wall. Annoys me no end!!

Maybe he took the gate beneath the Night Fort?

I have posted this before in a small things that annoy thread but i think its more of a plot hole.

The deserter from the NW in the aGoT prologue reaches Winterfell after deserting the NW NORTH of the wall. Which means he either went through castle black or scaled the wall. Annoys me no end!!

Considering that he was probably somewhere north-west of Craster's, he most likely went through the Gorge by the Shadow Tower. Wildlings use that route quite a lot.

This is gonna freak you out like it did me -- Renly's eye color changes from green to blue at some point. Early onset cataracts? Possession by Others? Warg?

George has addressed this is some interview and he said it was just a mistake that he tried to reconcile by saying something along the lines of "renly had green-blue eyes that seemed to change color according to his clothes" haha

George has addressed this is some interview and he said it was just a mistake that he tried to reconcile by saying something along the lines of "renly had green-blue eyes that seemed to change color according to his clothes" haha

I think the eye color changing happens to a few Wildlings too.

Jaime and Tyrion were called "the Lion and the Imp" when first introduced, but Jaime has never been referred to as "the Lion" again

That definitely doesn't even come close to qualifying as a plot hole.

Maybe the wildlings and Renly all have heterochromia, but people get confused by the pigmentation of the eyes because each is similar to the other in the colour spectrum. Mila Kunis and Kate Bosworth have different coloured eyes (Tyrion just has aniridia) but the colours are similar. :)

I'm being ironic, by the way.

Not a plothole, but it is an inconsistency.

That's not actually what inconsistency is. If Jamie was referred to as "the lion" but later in the plot someone referred to him as something that was explicitly the opposite of a lion, that would be an inconsistency. An inconsistent plotline involes contradictions, there isn't a contradiction in someone referring to a character as "the lion," and no one else referring to him as the lion. maybe a lack of foresight, though.

Same with the Jeyne's hips debacle, most are just innocent mistakes which I can forgive due to the vast amount of knowledge Martin must be trying to remember.

There's a theory that the girl presented to Jaime isn't actually Jeyne but is in fact her sister, due to the fact that GRRM went into such specific detail regarding her hips.

After King Joffrey dismisses LC Ser Berristan Selmy of the KG a position that is granted for life. We see that the Lannisters pretty much make up rules as they go along. Same with King RB. It's good to be King. Well not so much unless your name is Stannis . At least so far for Stan the Man.

Archived