So did Stannis basicly win the war of five kings

Mr.Black

Stannis hasn't won yet, He still has to face the remaining Tyrel l- Lannister factions. However as the reader we are aware he seems to have momentum. If he can convince the northern lords to join his cause. Then he will march south.

Yeah, i blame the storm and Stannis' refusal to go after the tyrell infantry rather then the city. Oh how i wish he had scooped up the host at bitterbridge.

True he did seem somewhat rushed and went into that battle w/out any scouting which would have brought real time info and some extra intel.

Unfortunately no.

The only ones who actually benefited the most out of this war are the Ironborn, so they won the war in my book (If we call leaving the war with gains winning).

I agree with that.

The Ironborn have suffered practically no losses in the WotFK and have reached their objective (gaining independence, while any other faction is worse off than they were at the beginning of the war.

Looking at it just from the perspective of the five kings themselves is a bit simplistic, as is assuming the war is over. It's noted in the text, even, that there were never five kings at any one time.

Taking the factions associated with the five kings towards the start of the war, we have roughly:

North (Starks and Tullys)

South (Tyrells and Renly)

West (Lannisters)

East (Stannis)

Iron Islands (entering the war a little later)

Taking the view that the southern faction was always the Tyrells first, with Renly as a figurehead, then they have been the big winners, despite their candidate getting knocked out early on. The western, northern and eastern factions have all but exhausted themselves and are now largely dependent on other factions for survival (the North and East on each other, the West on the South).

The other faction that has improved its position significantly is the Iron Islands, although their gains are so far a little precarious and they are vulnerable to counterattack.

Moreover, new factions have now entered or are likely soon to enter the war, and their alignment will be critical: Dorne (currently associated with the South/West but really a free agent), the Vale, the Iron Bank and Aegon and the Golden Company; possibly also Daenerys, not to mention the Others.

However, none of the original factions has yet been eliminated (unless Ramsay really has killed Stannis); the North has come closest to extinction, but there are enough Stark loyalists remaining that it's still a going concern. At the moment the West-South alliance is ascendant, but it's vulnerable, and without the support of the South the West could well collapse.

I think it would be more accurate to say Stannis survived the War of the Five Kings, which no one won. Pretty much every side that fought in the conflict was weakened to some degree or another, and made them more vulnerable to the new emerging threats.

Tywin won the war. First Tyrion he beat Stannis, then he had the Freys beat Robb. Tywin

Stannis may be alive, but is he nowhere close to winning just because the other kings are dead.

exactly. Stannis may well win the overall struggle but he did not win that particular facet of it.

• 4 months later...

War of the Five Kings, was it really about the Iron Throne?

- Lannisters want: to keep the Throne.

- Robb wants: not the Iron Throne, but independant North, accepted by everyone.

- Greyjoys want: independant Iron Islands.

- Stannis wants: the Iron Throne.

It wasn't totally about the Iron Throne, and now it is somewhat over. The new war is starting. I would say nobody won the WOT5K; the Lannisters continued sitting on a Throne which has done othing but screw with their family; the Starks failed due to sheer bad luck and a bit of incompetence, the Greyjoys set up their own impending failure since they're kind of stupid while Stannis suffered a blow to his campaign only to rise again in the North.

So Stannis probably suffered the least in the long term from the WOT5K. That's my take on the war.

Yeah there were 5 kings, and the 4 who weren't stannis died, so I would say he suffered least.

Surely the war was won by the Lannisters. See how well they fare: one is lost in riverlands without a hand, another pranced naked in the streets of King's Landing, yet another picks company steel beyond the sea, the lordly daddy broke some serious wind, and the knightly nuncle had his last talk with spiders and birds. Honorable mention: a coz who found jesus seven and gives his slutty wife up in favor of a boar (a strong one).

I'm sure this is a victory they prayed for. Stannis is dying of envy.

Since he is the only one alive out of the five?

He is the last one alive but he is not any closer to the Iron Throne than he was at the start of the war.

I think the winners are those who did not get involved . . . namely the Vale and Dorne.

Robert Arryn will win the War. Got rid of his overbearing mother, his armies a still at full force, his region is fully prepared for Winter, got himself a hot babysitter and heiress, he's the sole legal heir to the Lord of HH and LP of the Trident, let's LF do all the work and he plays all day. Harry the Heir is a front for the Cunning Falcon.

Robert Arryn will win the War. Got rid of his overbearing mother, his armies a still at full force, his region is fully prepared for Winter, got himself a hot babysitter and heiress, he's the sole legal heir to the Lord of HH and LP of the Trident, let's LF do all the work and he plays all day. Harry the Heir is a front for the Cunning Falcon.

Suddenly, I want to agree. Sweetrobin being the last man standing has a strange beauty.

Archived